share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

[WIN8] What is this credential?

Click for full size
I just noticed this generic credential in Credential Manager. It has a user name and xxxxout password. When I googled for more information, I found some of the most far out, aluminum foil reactions from users I have seen about anything to do with Windows and Computers. Even the threads in Microsoft's own forums are full of way out there answers and angry responses....and I did not find a definitive answer anywhere.

Is it installed if you have any Windows live programs? Or use Messenger? Lots of users say it spies on you and you cannot remove it permanently unless you remove all Windows Live programs. I have Photo Gallery. Is that how I got it?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
I have it an at one time had Win Live Mail installed on this box. I'll look on my notebook when I get to work, in about an hour, as I never installed any Live programs on that box.

Do you have any Virtual Machine software installed?

The date on mine is from 2/19/12.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
No virtual machines because the version of VMWare Workstation I own won't run on Win 8 and it is expensive to upgrade. I did recently download Virtualbox but I have NOT installed it.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
Try VMware Player. The newest version may run on Win 8 and it is Free.

VMware workstation, IMHO, is a waste of money for personal use when there is the Player program and Virtualbox for free.

Also why are you still using Win 8. Downgrade that box to Win 7 at any cost.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
reply to Mele20
On a system with very limited software installed, and the mail component of live that entry does exist. If a person does use a live account with the live mail the login is stored here also. I would guess that if the person doesn't use a live account, and just uses the software not connected to a live account it would be safe to delete if it doesn't somehow come back on it's own.

While Win 8 does have components of hyper-v I doubt this has anything to do with hyper-v as this entry has been reported in earlier versions of windows also.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I don't use live mail at all. The only Windows live thing I have is Photo Gallery so I think that is what did it. I do have a Microsoft account for many, many years and login for that is to Windows Live. BUT on this Windows 8 computer I did NOT allow Microsoft to con me into creating a Windows Live account as my user account when first setting up everything on this new computer. I ignored that and instead created a LOCAL USER account for Windows 8. So, I will try deleting it and maybe it won't come back.

As for hyper-v....ton of stuff on Win 8 for it. I will try it first before Virtualbox that was a nightmare for me (bad bug when I tried to update Virtualbox during Win 7 beta) when I used it to do the Win 7 public beta. What I am concerned about is which program will properly convert my XP Pro VMWare Workstation 7 virtual machine? I will look at Player again as I haven't in a couple of years but last time I looked at it...it was really restricted compared to Workstation but Workstation is quite expensive so that is why I looked a bit at hyper-v (I have a Vista Ultimate virtual machine created with Microsoft's earlier Virtual PC 2007 software) and did download Virtualbox. Both look complicated to convert a Workstation VM.
--