uniqs
share rss forum feed

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to Clipper

Re: [Rant] Math, lacking at Tim Horton's

It's actually a confusing situation here. Many people will be rounding the CHANGE instead of the original amount, and accidentally get it backwards. Just point the mistake out to the merchant. The honest ones will realize their mistake, apologise, and give you back what you're owed.

But if any merchant even dares to try and use this period of confusion as a way to make a bit of extra cash, they need to be denounced immediately. Any merchant who's willing to cheat you out of a couple of cents on a sale will be more than willing to cheat you out of a whole lot more.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

BASIL

@telus.net
All cash purchases made without exact change will be rounded up to the nearest nickel. -Tim Hortons on Campus

slivers

join:2009-08-28
Canada
said by BASIL :

All cash purchases made without exact change will be rounded up to the nearest nickel. -Tim Hortons on Campus

I just don't understand... since were getting rid of the penny why not also get rid of prices like X.X9 that would result the need of a penny?

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
Because taxes will screw that up in the end anyway.

Only real solution is to have the prices set to already rounded amounts and taxes included... but that won't be fair to merchants. Figuring out the prices and setting up a proper budget while including taxes and other extra fees just adds extra work for nothing.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
reply to BASIL
said by BASIL :

Really! So Tim's is using this to make a few extra cents profit per item. In a volume operation that should add nicely to the bottom line.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to BASIL
Are they not supposed to round down at .6 and .7?

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
Australia where I've experienced this, it's accustomed to round down the 0.1, 0.2, 0.6, 0.7 endings.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
The next few months will be fun. Who needs math, eh? We got calculators for that.

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to BASIL
Do they have this up on a sign? If so, can you take a picture?

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to milnoc
said by milnoc:

It's actually a confusing situation here. Many people will be rounding the CHANGE instead of the original amount, and accidentally get it backwards. Just point the mistake out to the merchant. The honest ones will realize their mistake, apologise, and give you back what you're owed.

In all fairness, the Government rounding guideline does mention rounding either the final purchase price or the change owed.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
That doesn't change anything for the amount though. Doesn't matter where you round it, the change ends up the same.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
bought a drink while at Ikea yesterday, which was $1...normally, this would be $1.07 with GST...instead, it was $1.05...woohoo, saved 2c.

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
Swedish rounding, swedish meatballs - seems fitting for Ikea

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to ekster
said by ekster:

That doesn't change anything for the amount though. Doesn't matter where you round it, the change ends up the same.

Good point. Guess I need a math lesson too

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

bought a drink while at Ikea yesterday, which was $1...normally, this would be $1.07 with GST...instead, it was $1.05...woohoo, saved 2c.

did they charge you extra for the paper cup yet

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
no.