uniqs

Exand
join:2001-10-28
Canada

Exand to Ayzee

to Ayzee

Re: [BC] Today - usage cut in half - 28 Days Later a $5 increase

said by Ayzee:

Did you use MS Paint to make that? Not bad at all.

Nah, just quickly altered an image that popped up on google image for "milking" in photoshop lol.
said by zod5000:

Either the TV industry adapts, or everything moves online, making the Internet bill the sole source of revenue for providers.

Yes and unfortunately Telus is still clinging to their TV subscription system which is why we're faced with yet another increase in Internet rates + increased TV rates + bandwidth halving. I can live with increased rates however much I dislike it, but bandwidth halving just means internet usage gets halved too so nobody wins in the long run because now I'm simply going to be dropping Optik TV when my contract is up.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by Exand:

said by Ayzee:

Did you use MS Paint to make that? Not bad at all.

Nah, just quickly altered an image that popped up on google image for "milking" in photoshop lol.
said by zod5000:

Either the TV industry adapts, or everything moves online, making the Internet bill the sole source of revenue for providers.

Yes and unfortunately Telus is still clinging to their TV subscription system which is why we're faced with yet another increase in Internet rates + increased TV rates + bandwidth halving. I can live with increased rates however much I dislike it, but bandwidth halving just means internet usage gets halved too so nobody wins in the long run because now I'm simply going to be dropping Optik TV when my contract is up.

true, but if Shaw is any kind of indication the trend is now to charge premiums for packages with large amounts of bandwidth.

I do wonder how much of a monthly cable bill goes to carriage/fees infrastructure and how much is profit. If it's only $20 per sub or something like that, I'm sure the providers have no problem selling more expensive packages.

It's moderately clever because bulk bandwidth isn't too expensive. If their profit margin on cable is an average of $20 sub, and they charge different tiers of bandwidth usage (which you would need if you streamed all your video in HD) they'd make up that $20 on the internet.

This has me thinking too hard... lol. but shows the TV companies have plans to deal with the transition from cable to internet.

If I was going to go Internet only and was worried about caps I might try out TekSavvy's DSL offering as they seem to have an unlimited package in the west (although top speed is only 25mbps, I would image they would get access to 50mbps eventually).

Exand
Canada

Exand

said by pb2k:

We may still be getting milked, but at least a good chunck is being re-invested in capx

Isn't most of that expenditure in LTE / cell service though? I don't have cell service with Telus so depending on where that expenditure is going, it won't benefit me as an internet / tv customer.
said by zod5000:

true, but if Shaw is any kind of indication the trend is now to charge premiums for packages with large amounts of bandwidth.

...snip...

If I was going to go Internet only and was worried about caps I might try out TekSavvy's DSL offering as they seem to have an unlimited package in the west (although top speed is only 25mbps, I would image they would get access to 50mbps eventually).

I could have swallowed an Optik25 with the same bandwidth + slightly increased rate and a "premium package" Optik50 with higher cap + higher rate, but what they're doing now feels like a bump-prices-up-before-a-sale-to-make-sale-prices-seem-lower tactic that some retail stores use.

I had a chat with a TekSavvy sales rep (not a fan of the company from past experience but I wanted to explore my options) and their unlimited DSL has unlimited usage only between 2am -> 8am. Their unlimited cable service is different though. But cable to my building takes my latency from ~5ms on Telus to ~25ms on Shaw so that's not an option for me as I game online frequently.
Arthur Dent
join:2011-01-27
Calgary, AB

Arthur Dent

said by Exand See Profile
I had a chat with a TekSavvy sales rep (not a fan of the company from past experience but I wanted to explore my options) and their unlimited DSL has unlimited usage only between 2am -> 8am. Their unlimited cable service is different though. But cable to my building takes my latency from ~5ms on Telus to ~25ms on Shaw so that's not an option for me as I game online frequently.
[/BQUOTE :

That is not correct. Teksavvy's unlimited package is unlimited at all times. It is their lower tier, limited DSL package that has unlimited usage during the 2-8AM period (actually a bonus).
Unless it is different in your location, but I don't beleive so. I think you just misunderstood the sales rep or he was confused.

StarBuck_
@66.119.191.x

StarBuck_ to Exand

Anon

to Exand
That's odd as I asked the exact same question about unlimited DSl and was told unlimited was 24hr unlimited and the regular limited account was unlimited between those hours. I asked again to be sure and was told the same thing..... ?

Matters not to me , as while my wife is forcing me to keep Optik tv, ( For now, until I show her to power of Netflix US and/or Sickbeard) I will switch to cable for unlimited internet.

I had to laugh when Telus told me that they've had an increase in sales and good feedback since they announced the changes .. that and if I was unhappy I could always move to new provider.
I did question how they could judge it in a positive light considering they are still advertising 500GB on various webpages...
Telus simply don't want to keep customers.

Exand
Canada

Exand to Arthur Dent

to Arthur Dent
said by Arthur Dent:

Unless it is different in your location, but I don't beleive so. I think you just misunderstood the sales rep or he was confused.

said by StarBuck_ :

That's odd as I asked the exact same question about unlimited DSl and was told unlimited was 24hr unlimited and the regular limited account was unlimited between those hours. I asked again to be sure and was told the same thing..... ?

I looked up their plans online before calling, so unless both the site and the rep are wrong that seems to be the case (for my area). Although everything considered it could very well be they were both wrong. I'll ask again on the teksavvy direct section on DSLR to make sure.

said by StarBuck_ :

I had to laugh when Telus told me that they've had an increase in sales and good feedback since they announced the changes .. that and if I was unhappy I could always move to new provider.
I did question how they could judge it in a positive light considering they are still advertising 500GB on various webpages...
Telus simply don't want to keep customers.

Price increase + drop in caps = good feedback?
That's like -1 + -1 = 2... o_O

As I get closer to having to make a decision next month, I'll give Telus a try again to see if they can give me a decent sweetener to retain me as a customer.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to StarBuck_

to StarBuck_
Should have had the Telus rep explain to you how dropping the cap by half would mean an increase in sales and positive feedback.

If i was your average Internet user who only used facebook and looked for pics of puppies and kitties I would still have enough brain power to question how Halving your cap means more sales and positive feedback.

StarBuck4
join:2011-01-16
Beverly Hills, CA

StarBuck4

Oh I asked lots of questions, ( like how can Teksavvy be profitable with unlimited even when renting from Telus ??? ) The response is the same boiler plate script ... 10% ruining for the rest etc... it's like talking to brick wall.
They are told to say this and that , they have no reason to question the all knowing voice from the top.
As bimmerdriver said , we can all bitch a moan on here, it will take everyone calling them and complaining ( like I have done repeatedly ) to have any hope of them listening. Of course informing me that could go to another provider pretty much explains their position.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX

Which begs the question why is a Telus agent actually telling you to ditch Telus and go with someone else. I thought they were supposed to read from a script and keep the customers from leaving?

Also I want to know what the so called 90 percenters are actually using their internet for since those 90 percenters i am betting probally use way less then 100gigs per month.

The 10 percenters cant be the only people living in the real 21st century can we? You know the century where Bits and Btyes are in short supply apparently.

StarBuck4
join:2011-01-16
Beverly Hills, CA

StarBuck4

They are completely unaware that they actually have competition in the form of Teksavvy, the agent I spoke with had never even heard of Teksavvy . They believe that their only competition is Shaw they have pretty much matched rates with.
I believe bimmerdriver received a similar response from Telus.
It's easy to behave like an arrogant jackass when you believe your only competition is behaving like an arrogant jackass
ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

ruiner3 to Exand

to Exand
said by Exand:

I looked up their plans online before calling, so unless both the site and the rep are wrong that seems to be the case (for my area). Although everything considered it could very well be they were both wrong. I'll ask again on the teksavvy direct section on DSLR to make sure.

That's for the plan with the 75 GB cap. Unlimited is unlimited.