spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

liquoranne

join:2009-01-14

Program disabler/Performance booster

Not sure if this is the "correct" forum for this, but it is WoW releated.

So a few years ago i had a program that i ran when playing WoW (or any game) that would boost its performance by ending programs that werent in use. I ask this because my laptop is far from a gaming rig, but it handles most everything alright. I only use it when im on travel, but i would like to try and squeeze a tad more performance out of it. Anyone use a similar program? I do not remember which one is legit or not...

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4

My guess is all this "performance booster" did was install yet another program along with a yahoo search bar on your internet explorer....

Hit Control+Alt+Delete and to go "Task Manager" and "End Task" for programs you don't need.

If you haven't managed this before there's probably 10+ programs running in your system tray. You can remove them from your startup processes. Very few of them need to be running at all times.

Skype is a perfect example.

Edit: Lol @ "Task Master" in my original post...

Goldheart

join:2002-06-09
Ballston Spa, NY
kudos:1
reply to liquoranne

The best solution is to prevent anything that runs in the background from starting at all.

Most likely the heaviest processing power app would be your antivirus or spyware. You may wish to only disable this temporarily while playing WoW. An alternative would be to set it to limit the processing power used.

Microsoft Security Essentials can be set to limit the CPU cycles for example. Plus it is lightweight to start with (and free).

For other applications you can use Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del) to see what is running (Applications tab) and sort by processing cycles (Processes, click on CPU to rank). Anything that is actually using cycles will be listed.

If you see something using cycles you may wish to see if that is an app that you really need running. If not, disable or uninstall it.

There are "gaming mode" utilities that you could run that do what you want more or less but I am not sure how trustworthy they are.

Another possible WoW tweak would be to check for addons that are erroring or using excessive memory.

Removing temp files (CCleaner is a good app for this) and defragging the hard drive can help improve boot and game load time also.

DasGoat

@sbcglobal.net
reply to liquoranne

Sysinternals autoruns, use it.

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to liquoranne

With all the ram PC's have now...stopping 5-6 processes, that are probably idling, will MAYBE save 100 megs. Even if you saved 400 you wouldn't feel it. Maybe on paper.

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
reply to liquoranne

I agree to stopping stuff manually.

Rhenai

join:2010-09-07
Elkhorn, NE
kudos:1

How do you stop Snuff manually? Take away his keyboard?

edit - oh wait, you weren't talking about SNUFF, you meant Stuff!

Just messing with you Snuff, you know we luvs you

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI

said by Rhenai:

How do you stop Snuff manually?

That's unpossible.

Simpsons... anyone?

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
reply to liquoranne

What do you use to disable the program disabler?

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI

said by I AM:

Pretty sure you need to download another malwa... I mean program disabler to disable it.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Phantasee

said by Phantasee:

With all the ram PC's have now...stopping 5-6 processes, that are probably idling, will MAYBE save 100 megs. Even if you saved 400 you wouldn't feel it. Maybe on paper.

Based on the description of his computer my guess is it doesn't have all that much RAM. Additionally, these programs can influence network activity and CPU usage too.

I'm all for turning off as many programs as possible. Programs like Curse sitting in the background irritate me... Maybe I'm OCD though.

Phantasee

Hammond, LA

I am use to all my new PC's I suppose. My netbook has 6gigs. I even manually update my Curse addons. I am DEF OCD. I have to dust my desk(s) once a day.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI

Gotta love those 32bit OS's with 16gigs of RAM....

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Snuffbox:

Gotta love those 32bit OS's with 16gigs of RAM....

Lol. I don't think I have a 32bit PC at all anymore. Why do they still make that again?

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI

For the 3 programs that don't support 64bit?

liquoranne

reply to liquoranne

well to the nay sayers....the program i was using gave me another 10fps (more or less was a while back) right off the bat. Nothing else changed. I understand how to close tasks manually. This particular laptop has 0 programs on it sides basic windows 7 and WoW. It is just a laptop i use for travel.

I am asking so i dont try and download your "malware" program you speak of.

The laptop has 2 gig ddr3 ram. Other specs are fairly modest for a 2 year old dell XPS. I sit at around 20fps in a raid environment. I know it wont hit the 70fps my built machine does, but every little bit helps.

Again, the program i ran prior "100%" worked. Not 100% sure what all it did as a member of my WoTlk raiding guild shared it for all to use. So its been a while and i have plain forgotten or needed it until now.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI

We're not bashing the idea of eliminating unneeded programs. Merely the idea of installing a program to kill a program when you could do it yourself more effectively and keep them from automatically turning on at startup (this will improve boot up times).

If you're not comfortable with what we've suggested, by all means look for the program. I'm sorry, I'm of no assistance as I do not use such a program.

Program.

Just felt it needed to be said one more time in my post.

liquoranne

reply to liquoranne

I am fine with your suggestions. As I am aware of what it is your speaking of. What you don't know is the extent to what the program did. As you yourself stated you never used such a program. I admit I don't remember specifics, but for it to give me 10ish more fps with no additional programs running in the background...that's all I was wondering.
in the end my question was answered which is what I was after.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to liquoranne

I forgot the name of the program, but it had a small footprint. It essentially disabled a bunch of unneeded services and unloaded unnecessary processes with a press of a button just before loading your game.
--
Games - GameTech - S.F.Bay -

Mordred

join:2013-01-02
reply to liquoranne

Anyone remember having to install a game with 10 floppy disks, make a boot disk and hit the turbo button?

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Mordred:

Anyone remember having to install a game with 10 floppy disks, make a boot disk and hit the turbo button?

No. I played Sega back then.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to Snuffbox

said by Snuffbox:

said by I AM:

Pretty sure you need to download another malwa... I mean program disabler to disable it.

Susan Express huh?

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
Reviews:
·Charter

said by I AM:

said by Snuffbox:

said by I AM:

Susan Express huh?

Whatever happened to that ole girl?

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

Good question. About to google it now.

Edit:
She's on FACEBOOK!!!!
www.facebook.com/Susanexpress.net
I'mma go like her tonight to see how many friends remember it.

Mordred

join:2013-01-02
reply to Phantasee

said by Phantasee :

No. I played Sega back then.

I was a Nintendo kid, needed something to do between cleaning the pins on the cartridges.