Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

2 edits

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Hidden DPC3008 Menu

Not sure if anyone else saw this before but I saw this menu...

While restarting my DPC3008 I saw it when I refreshed the modem page while it was still booting up.

I also only use IE for modem/router pages so don't judge :P.

So... I assume it would be a bad idea to change these stats ?

AnonMan
@comcast.net

AnonMan

Anon

You can't change any of those :/

Comcast restricted the modem via config file.

during boot before it connects to them you can get into all kinds of menus. The second it's done booting they all lock down. You can't get back to that page once it's up, just redirects to homepage. Leaving the page up and trying to change anything results in the same also. Just a redirect.

It's dumb. They hide logs and all, yet anyone you talk to claims they don't control or know how to allow access.

I know to most people it's good to hide things but I am an IT eng and have problems in my area also and even the local maint techs hate the modem because it's missing so much due to the dumb config lol

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357 to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
Just to give some 3rd party perspective, I am on Cox and there is something similar with diagnostic menu of the DPC3010. From what I understand, the firmware is set up in such a way that it can either give total access or very limited access. Since they don't want user to be able to control things like channel ID and possible break their connection (and cost them a truck roll) they go limited, which has the side effect of hiding the logs.

Just for kicks, give this a try. After a normal boot, when you can't see anything, try going Alt+V > Style > No Style. See anything different? DPC3010 its locked at firmware, yours seems more locked by config file.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I actually changed the upstream channel to 3(A channel I don't have) and it actually went through but once it fully reconnected it went back to default I assume lol. I tried what you said and didn't see anything different .

AnonMan
@comcast.net

AnonMan

Anon

Styles on or off result in same things showing.

It doesn't even let you backdoor into the pages even if you know them, spits back to main.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 edits

DocDrew to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
That menu is only useful during the modem startup process. It helps shorten the sync process if there are some odd, non-standard setup on the provider side, such as multiple CMTSs and downstreams for multiple providers. One the modem is locked on the downstream the modem gets all its channel info from the CMTS.

I haven't seen any real use for those menus on any U.S. provider in years.

Most Cisco and Scientific Atlanta (bought by Cisco a few years ago) modems take a specific config option to set access to full the diagnostic menus. By default they're set to limited access unlike just about every other modem around. It's been that way for 12+ years and most users run into it on just about every ISP. It's the rare ISP that goes through the trouble to add the specific config option to open the diagnostic menus.

AnonMan
@comcast.net

AnonMan to Darknessfall

Anon

to Darknessfall
I like the modem, no issues. My complaint is I can't see any logs :/ or the actual channel or modes it is using. All we get is power level and DS SNR... lame. Even my area maint team hates it because of this. lol No one seems to have access to them due to being blocked out.

Oh well.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by AnonMan :

I like the modem, no issues. My complaint is I can't see any logs :/ or the actual channel or modes it is using. All we get is power level and DS SNR... lame. Even my area maint team hates it because of this. lol No one seems to have access to them due to being blocked out.

Oh well.

Same