how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

[DSL] TekSavvy + Netflix = NOT GOOD

I'm starting to grow frustrated with this service issue I'm experiencing. In St. George, it doesn't seem to be bad, however in Kitchener, TekSavvy and Netflix do NOT seem to get along very well after about 6PM Eastern. What's interesting is that despite websites seeming to take a little bit longer, I get these results:

Here is the speedtest.net result... What's interesting is that my ping to this server (Oakville) is usually in the range of 12-26ms, and the speeds seem to be the same. I'm supposed to be on DSL 6.

What's more interesting is that when other websites start to slow down majorly, which seems to take a particular toll on Netflix (making it load super slow), I notice the following when I try to ping the Netflix servers. When it's not "peak hours", this problem doesn't seem to exist.

What gives here? One of the reasons why this location stayed with DSL is because it's this kind of thing that happens with cable that we wanted to avoid.

The network here is rather complex, however the connection that I'm running from isn't that overly complicated. I have a Thompson SpeedStream 516 modem running a /29 subnet (as seen in this forum thread, which connects to a switch. The switch then connects directly to my 5 network devices.

In this case, the network device I'm connected to is my D-Link DIR-615 (Rev E3) with the firewall, ALG, etc. turned off for maximum stability. The router's WAN port is directly assigned my 173.xxx.xxx.229 address, which is what shows as being exposed to the internet. This router then allocates a 192.168.xxx.xxx block to be used by my wireless devices.

I'm having a bit of an issue understanding why this congestion seems to be happening, and why it seems to attack Netflix worse than other sites. YouTube does seem to be affected by this, but not badly enough to cause videos to choke... at least not yet. YouTube still seems to be able to buffer JUST enough in advance to not interrupt the stream, however it cannot get anywhere NEAR as far in advance as it does in HD mode on the same videos at other times.

Is this network congestion, Bell deciding that it doesn't like me, or some sort of technical malfunction on TekSavvy's part to cause this problem? Either way, it's freaking frustrating!

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON

I'm on cable mind you, but we don't seem to have any issues in our home with netflix..

Perhaps your bandwidth settings are too high for 6mb DSL? or some other network issue.

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON

I somehow doubt that as it seems to be consistent with the time of day that it is. In the mornings it's never a problem. The ping is always much lower, and the response of the website is always faster. Perhaps someone at TSI can shed some light on this one?

Also, when Netflix doesn't run slow, I can ping their systems no problem also. This is the other thing that seems strange.

zzee

join:2011-09-05
reply to MrMazda86

Looks like routing/ip config issues at your end

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON

If that's the case, why does this only happen from about 6pm on, yet in the mornings when I get up, everything is fine and it works no problem, including the ping?

zzee

The images you put pointing toward config errors at your end

daboom
Premium
join:2001-12-16
Oshawa, ON
reply to MrMazda86

Sounds like ur getting hit with the known bell/tsi congestion some are complaining about. They will be tweaking some stuff this week to help with this. as mentioned in this thread.
»Changes in Bell AGAS network

You can always try reconnecting your pppoe perhaps a few times to see if that helps.
--
Come join us on EFNET irc.teksavvy.ca #teksavvy for live chat
Java Chat back online @ »teksavvy.kicks-ass.net

taraf

join:2011-05-07
Stittsville, ON
reply to MrMazda86

I have used Netflix on DSL for over a year without problems. That was straight up DSL, with an Alcatel SpeedTouch Home modem on a 7meg profile, later replaced with a TP-Link TP8616 on a 16meg profile, and a TP-Link TR1043ND router. I was not using a subnet or static IP because I don't have use for it. (nothing I do need reverse IP lookup for can't be done without dyndns).

Try doing a traceroute instead of a ping... it'll give you more useful information, such as *where* the problem actually exists.

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON
reply to daboom

said by daboom:

Sounds like ur getting hit with the known bell/tsi congestion some are complaining about. They will be tweaking some stuff this week to help with this. as mentioned in this thread.
»Changes in Bell AGAS network

You can always try reconnecting your pppoe perhaps a few times to see if that helps.

That could be possible... I'm wondering if anyone at TSI can shed some light on this to confirm if it's just congestion, or if there's a deeper rooted issue here?

Seriously though... What's up with this TSI?

zzee

reply to taraf

said by taraf:

I have used Netflix on DSL for over a year without problems. That was straight up DSL, with an Alcatel SpeedTouch Home modem on a 7meg profile, later replaced with a TP-Link TP8616 on a 16meg profile, and a TP-Link TR1043ND router. I was not using a subnet or static IP because I don't have use for it. (nothing I do need reverse IP lookup for can't be done without dyndns).

Try doing a traceroute instead of a ping... it'll give you more useful information, such as *where* the problem actually exists.

^This

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON
reply to taraf

said by taraf:

Bahahahahahaha That doesn't even make it anywhere... As in this example:

Now that's strange...

TSI Gabe
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:7

tracerouting to netflix doesn't actual test performance with streaming videos from them as they don't come from that specific site. They come from numerous sources, Limelight, Level 3 and depending on availability the netflix caches.

The fact that your tracert is failing is indicative that something else altogether is wrong with your PC. This is most definitely not our network.

Quick Google tells me you should try this »social.technet.microsoft.com/For···68471aa6
--
TSI Gabe - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
reply to MrMazda86

General failure doesn't point to a network issue with TSI... have you messed with your hosts file recently?

PlatooN

join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON
reply to MrMazda86

For the record seeing "General Failure" in a ping or tracert is not a good sign.

Not saying it's your issue necessarly ... but i would look at why that's happening before I was so quick to blame TSI.

(Also for the record, I used netflix on TSI dsl and it was just fine in Kitchener)

PSurge

@teksavvy.com
reply to MrMazda86

Are you using some kind of VPN to try getting US Netflix? If so, try disabling it as "General failure." indicates there's a networking problem local at your end. If you have no VPN active then I would try to reset and/or bypass your router as you most likely have a routing issue.

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON

Nope... No VPN and no modification to the hosts file. Netflix itself will still load, just a lot slower, and when this happens, my ping on the speed test goes up, and other things seem to start to load slower. This is why I don't understand why this is happening. It's not just one computer that does it either. I've tried it on all of them.

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON

2 edits
reply to TSI Gabe

said by TSI Gabe:

Quick Google tells me you should try this »social.technet.microsoft.com/For···68471aa6

Google is wrong... The problem is still there, only instead of "General Failure", all I get is "Request Timed Out". There are two areas that are of concern in the trace route... They are:

206.248.154.104 - Ping average of 225 - 600ms

and

205.251.245.47 - The last hop before the disconnects

When the problem starts somewhere in the Amazon.com network, it then has to try several times before being able to find a route that it can take. Perhaps this could be where the problem lies? Not with TSI, but further down the line?

(EDIT: Added info below)

Actually... Now it's coming back differently. On this one, I got a different result for the ping to the gateway on TekSavvy's end, but it's still running much higher than it should be. Here's where it drops:

Something isn't right here, but I don't know where the problem lies.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

Try netflix.com & not www.netflix.com see what you get.

eli

join:2012-11-22
Canada
reply to MrMazda86

It looks like it is their network is blocking ping. I have tried it on a server in the US:

And from my TekSavvy DSL over my /29

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
reply to MrMazda86

This is the result my trace route to netflix.com

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON
reply to eli

Trying this method yields the same result. I am unable to successfully establish a trace all the way. Something's not right here. It seems to stall in the same spot.

The other problem is when you go to the site to do anything, it redirects to movies.netflix.com, which yields an even scarier result. Something isn't right here, but I don't know quite where to point the finger.

TSI Paul
Business Services Rep
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON
kudos:4

If you haven't done so yet. Post your details in the Direct forum and we'll take a look.

Thanks,
Paul

Expand your moderator at work

jerrycan

join:2010-11-05
Waterloo, ON
reply to MrMazda86

Re: [DSL] TekSavvy + Netflix = NOT GOOD

I'm in waterloo and everything is superfine with NEtflix in the evening with 2 kids and 2 adults surfing, watch Netflix, torrenting etc... on my basic 6mb account...

Are you using DDWRT or Tomato with QOS on ?

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON

1 edit
reply to TSI Paul

Done. It appears that it will take a few minutes before the post will appear as it appears to be caught in the moderator approval for some reason.

(EDIT: Added info below)

For the record... the problem is back again tonight. I'm also noticing a drop in the overall speed and an increase in the ping again, as seen in this example:

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON
reply to jerrycan

said by jerrycan:

I'm in waterloo and everything is superfine with NEtflix in the evening with 2 kids and 2 adults surfing, watch Netflix, torrenting etc... on my basic 6mb account...

Are you using DDWRT or Tomato with QOS on ?

Neither... For the current moment, I'm stuck with the D-Link Crapware on the router unfortunately. I'm looking into alternatives.

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON

1 edit
reply to TSI Paul

Well... I see TekSavvy's solution to this problem is just to say that the line is fine so there must not be a problem, then ignore the situation. This is the kind of thing I'd expect from Ali Babba Shaqua Shouvez at BELL to pull, not TekSavvy.

It's quite disappointing actually and is making me put some great consideration into whether or not to change providers. I simply cannot have a provider that tries to blame the problem on the customer's hardware, then ignores the problem.

I'm also not very impressed with the fact that when I was with Bell, my physical hardware line speed was just over 1Mbit faster than it is now that I've switched to TekSavvy. Nobody has come up with an answer to that, yet I see that other forum threads in the TekSavvy Direct forum are being answered.

I hope that TSI is reading this thread because I'm SERIOUSLY not happy with them at the current moment. 3 DSL connections and 2 Cable connections may be transferred to another provider over this. I also wonder what the Ministry of Commercial Affairs and Consumer Relations would think of a provider that IGNORES their customer's problems.... NOT COOL!

(EDIT: ATTENTION TSI Marc!!! Something NEEDS to be done about the fact that once TekSavvy staff is presented with something they either don't want to handle, or they otherwise don't want to explain, they just IGNORE their customer! This will be a GREAT way for TekSavvy to LOOSE BUSINESS!)

jerrycan

join:2010-11-05
Waterloo, ON
reply to MrMazda86

This is what I'm getting right now. I'll run a few through the evening as well (if I can kick everyone off long enough to get a pure test).

Do you suggest any times?

taraf

join:2011-05-07
Stittsville, ON
reply to MrMazda86

You said that the traceroute makes it to the 2nd to last hop and then fails.

Can you please post that traceroute rather than just describing what it says? If, as you said, it makes it to the 2nd to last hop and fails, then it's leaving TekSavvy's network and it's a routing configuration outside of their net that they won't be able to fix. That's why actually seeing it is important: it tells you where the problem actually is.

TSI Paul
Business Services Rep
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON
kudos:4
reply to MrMazda86

nevermind found the account in the direct. Looking into now.

Thanks,
Paul