uniqs
share rss forum feed

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

Being charged for 2 digital adapters?

Was looking at my Comcast bill. Don't really pay attention since my son usually pays it each month. I noticed I'm being charged $1.99 for each of the two digital adapters I have in my possession. I picked up those things a long time ago but never hooked them up. I've got two DVRs plus one other digital outlet.

I had always thought you got 2 digital adapters for free but anymore they would be charged. What gives?

Perhaps these 2 digital adapters are seen as addition to the other three devices I am already using!

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

somewhere on one of your past bills was a notice about a change in the price of the DTA's. Depending on the area, the charges started showing up almost a year ago.

jbob
Premium
Little Rock, AR

So they started off giving two away free and then changed their minds? Yeah guess I missed that tidbit

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

The DTA's were always entended to be a transition box for for folks during the digital migration. Comcast easily could have just forced everyone to pick up the DCT at a higher cost. Yes it definitely was not worded as such when the boxes came out.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to jbob

If you don't use them; take them to a local office and return them; and get & keep the receipt. They should come off you bill next billing. That is what I did.

See what equip is on your bill here:
»customer.comcast.com/Secure/MyServices/
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA

said by FFH:

If you don't use them; take them to a local office and return them; and get & keep the receipt. They should come off you bill next billing. That is what I did.

See what equip is on your bill here:
»customer.comcast.com/Secure/MyServices/

There's an option to have them send you a prepaid box to ship it back UPS. It happens that my UPS store is near the grocery store, but the Comcast office is 10 miles in a direction I don't usually go.
I just spent time on a chat with the agent that suggested this, and credited my account for one month of the fees (I have 2 DTAs). It took another agent to take the order for the box, but still prefer to save the time and gas. The local office can get busy at times. And unpleasant.

gary0922

join:2000-05-30
Wheaton, IL
reply to jbob

Is Comcast charging $1.99 for the digital adapter or is it charging $1.99 for the digital outlet? I don't think it is clear from the bill.

If I return the digital adapter but still have an enabled outlet will I continue to be charged $1.99?

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA

said by gary0922:

If I return the digital adapter but still have an enabled outlet will I continue to be charged $1.99?

Sorry for my ignorance. What will be plugged in to that outlet? The cable is now all digital, what will work on it?

gary0922

Wheaton, IL

I have two of the original "free" digital adapters which connect to two enabled non-HD outlets. They function with two non HD TVs.

Several years ago, a Comcast rep had to come to the house to enable one of the above non-HD outlets. From the way the bill is worded, it looks like I may be paying for the enabled outlets and not for the digital adapters.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA

said by gary0922:

Several years ago, a Comcast rep had to come to the house to enable one of the above non-HD outlets. From the way the bill is worded, it looks like I may be paying for the enabled outlets and not for the digital adapters.

I see. I believe that the definition of outlets is those with a comcast device at the other end. i.e. my DTA that I am keeping has a fee, as does any DVR with a cable card.
Pre-DTA, you weren't charged for TVs that just used the analog signal. Now, I don't believe there's any signal left, and I have no analog TVs to check this. I have a huge splitter in the basement, an 8 way. There are rooms with live plates, but no TVs. They don't charge for those. Not that I've seen.

gary0922

Wheaton, IL

It is phrased this way on the bill which makes me think I may be paying for the outlet and not a "rental" fee for the digital adapter.

Digital Adapter Service 01/22 - 02/21 1.99
Additional Outlet

One of my digital adapters has not been connected to anything for several years but there is still a $1.99 charge on the bill for that adapter.

I suppose I will have to return the adapter I don't use and find out if one $1.99 charge drops off.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by gary0922:

I suppose I will have to return the adapter I don't use and find out if one $1.99 charge drops off.

It did for me. And I also got partial credit for the time I didn't use it for the prepaid month.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

jbob
Premium
Little Rock, AR
reply to gary0922

That's how mine is too. Since they were free(at the time) I just went to my local Comcast office and picked them up. I have never even hooked them up to anything.

I wonder how long I have been charged for these "FREE" devices. lol

I realize $4.00(for two) is just a drop in the bucket. My son is moving out and I need to cut back on services/costs. That what caused me to look at my bill more closely. One DVR will definitely go. I only have a digital STB in my bedroom. I may be able to get by with just a DTA there. But I also have a digital DVR recorder/VHS combo. It has a true digital tuner.

gary0922

Wheaton, IL

In my area, the new fee started in January 2013. There was a very long list of Comcast charges included with the December 2012 bill which showed all of the new fees. The print is very tiny and you will have to use a magnifying glass to read it.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to gary0922

said by gary0922:

It is phrased this way on the bill which makes me think I may be paying for the outlet and not a "rental" fee for the digital adapter.

Digital Adapter Service 01/22 - 02/21 1.99
Additional Outlet

One of my digital adapters has not been connected to anything for several years but there is still a $1.99 charge on the bill for that adapter.

This is how the $1.99/mo charge was broken down in a notice that I received back in my November bill:
Effective Jan 1, 2013, the monthly price for Digital Adapter Outlet service on the first 2 additional outlets for customers with a minimum video subscription of Digital Starter, will change from No Charge to $1.49 per outlet. In addition, subscribers will be charged a separate equipment charge of $.50 per month for each Digital Adapter that is utilized on these outlets.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA
reply to gary0922

said by gary0922:

The print is very tiny and you will have to use a magnifying glass to read it.

There were 4 pages of this print. The clip above is just one column, it was two wide. Wow. And, common sense would suggest that each bill have a note, in the note section "YOUR BILL WILL CHANGE NEXT MONTH: HERE'S HOW:"

And, in my case, the current/new need only discuss the DTAs. Honestly, I might not have even noticed the charge when it hit, except for the alert here.

gary0922

Wheaton, IL
reply to telcodad

Then it looks like I would only save $.50 per month by returning one digital adapter.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by gary0922:

Then it looks like I would only save $.50 per month by returning one digital adapter.

It is per outlet. Did you read the REALLY FINE print.
--

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

Effective Jan 1, 2013, the monthly price for Digital Adapter Outlet service on the first 2 additional outlets for customers with a minimum video subscription of Digital Starter, will change from No Charge to $1.49 per outlet. In addition, subscribers will be charged a separate equipment charge of $.50 per month for each Digital Adapter that is utilized on these outlets.

So, if you wish to use a DTA on the same TV as a STB, it's only $.50?

When I first started collecting TiVos, and tried to fight the outlet fee, they said the charge was by the equipment. A single customer in a studio apartment with one TV can pay multiple outlet fees if they have extra equipment. Until recently, I had a DTA next to my TiVo, so if 2 shows were recording, it was easy to flip to the DTA to turn on something else.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to gary0922

said by gary0922:

No, you should save the total $1.99 price per adapter for each one that is returned.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to joetaxpayer

said by joetaxpayer:

said by telcodad:

So, if you wish to use a DTA on the same TV as a STB, it's only $.50?

When I first started collecting TiVos, and tried to fight the outlet fee, they said the charge was by the equipment. A single customer in a studio apartment with one TV can pay multiple outlet fees if they have extra equipment. Until recently, I had a DTA next to my TiVo, so if 2 shows were recording, it was easy to flip to the DTA to turn on something else.

No, the "outlet" charge varies for each type of equipment and is tied to each one. It doesn't matter if it's actually connected to the same physical wall outlet as another one.

I don't know why they break out the total charge into those two areas (outlet and equipment) like that, unless it matters for the taxes/fees charges on the bill.

EDIT: It looks like the breakdown is needed for the case of subscribers providing their own equipment, such as TiVos: »[Cable Card] CableCARD fee for additional outlet?

Roche1972

join:2008-02-22
reply to jbob

Yes, the digital adapter is $1.99 a month. I accidentally made the mistake of thinking that you could get all the channels covered in the Digital Preferred service similar to Verizon FiOS TV's digital adapters (which was my previous TV service) but the customer service representative at Comcast told me that I could only get between channels 2 through 101. When I found that out, I quickly changed my subscription from 2 digital adapters to 2 SD converters. Sure the SD converters cost more each month but I got more channels plus On Demand.

PaulGo

join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD

In my area the Comcast channels above 100 are available but not all channels that are available on a cable box are available on a DTA. Soon however an HD-DTA will be available which will have all channels available on a cable box except for premium channels such as HBO and VOD.

Roche1972

join:2008-02-22

Nice Atari icon there. Too bad that Atari had recently filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy here in America. The 2600 and 7800 systems were my first video game systems I had ever owned during the 1980s. Anyway, I live in New Jersey and the Comcast representative on the phone told me that the only channels I could get with the digital adapter are local channels (including local access channels), The Comcast Network (which is on channel 8 in my area of NJ) a few selected basic cable channels and Weatherscan (which is channel 101 in my area) and that is all. I was also told that I couldn't get On Demand using a digital adapter which was the same case when I was a Verizon FiOS TV customer but at least I was able to access all basic and premium channels with their digital adapter. Perhaps after my 2 year contract with Comcast expires, I might return to FiOS TV if I am not totally satisfied with Comcast's service during the next 2 years.

bigtony

@comcast.net
reply to jbob

This "rental charge" pi$$ed me off to no end and put me over the edge. I finally ripped the boxes out and called criminalcast to take the tv package off my service. Then drove to the service center and gave them back to the cs rep.
I told her that this is extortion and and away to gouge the customer to line the pockets of executives by raising an extra $550 million.
EF U CRIMINALCAST.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA

said by bigtony :

This "rental charge" pi$$ed me off to no end and put me over the edge.

Why? Is it because they are trying to charge you $2/mo for a device that cost maybe $20 and you feel you've already paid for the package?
Or is it that they threw these at you, and implied that since were were to get channels that used to be analog, and are now charging?
Or is it that you feel nickeled and dimed. Like when you drop $250 on a dinner but notice your were charged for the coffee refill?

Or something I missed?

PaulGo

join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD

I just received a notice with my bill that effective March 1, Comcast will start charging for the first two DTAs at $1.99 per month for each. For the current DTA I feel it is overpriced but for the new HD DTAs which should soon be offered it could be a good deal since I can replace two of my set top boxes.

RG

join:2013-02-19

Sign the petition:

»www.ipetitions.com/petition/comc···rcharge/

If you have privacy concerns, just sign with your initials and an anonymous email address. Comment if you wish. We need NUMBERS to make this petition have any importance. Sign it and email the petition link to your contacts and tell them to email it to all of their contacts.

$5 per month is not a lot of money, but, realize that Comcast is probably charging each of its 20 million plus customers. Do the math and that is over a BILLION dollars a year being sucked out of our pockets !! Enough is enough!!! You should be mad as heck at the big corporation aided by the big government ramming this down our throats. If you are not, then we deserve what we get.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to jbob

it has to have a cable card slot in it. By the end of the year you will need a box for every tv unless you have an antenna. They are dropping clear qam.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to RG

said by RG:

Sign the petition:

»www.ipetitions.com/petition/comc···rcharge/

If you have privacy concerns, just sign with your initials and an anonymous email address. Comment if you wish. We need NUMBERS to make this petition have any importance. Sign it and email the petition link to your contacts and tell them to email it to all of their contacts.

$5 per month is not a lot of money, but, realize that Comcast is probably charging each of its 20 million plus customers. Do the math and that is over a BILLION dollars a year being sucked out of our pockets !! Enough is enough!!! You should be mad as heck at the big corporation aided by the big government ramming this down our throats. If you are not, then we deserve what we get.

then leave!

oh wait you need boxes with verizon, and with dish.....
--
I'm better than you!