·Comcast

Is this generator overloaded

Click for full size
Wattmeters
Click for full size
Transfer switch
Click for full size
Generator
Did a test run of my generator today. Ran the fridge, two 8 foot 240 volt baseboard heaters, and two 15 amp household circuits. Ran the generator for about a half hour. The generator is a Briggs & Stratton 5500 (8250 Starting) watt generator. The baseboard heaters are a considerable load as when I switched them on and off, the generator would temporarily bog down when they were switched on.

The wattmeters are with the full loads I mentioned including both baseboard heathers.

Transfer circuits A, C/D (240 volt circuit), and E were on generator power. Transfer circuits B and F were on poco power during the test.

The baseboards are on the 20 amp 240 volt circuit.

Ran the test for about a 1/2 hour. I heard you are supposed to "exercise" your generator now and then.

I did a pretty good job of balancing the loads when I wired the breaker panel. In the summer, the window air conditioners are on transfer circuits E and F. The Fridge is on transfer circuit A.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

You drew less than 4000W. The generator can do 5500W.
No, it's not overloaded as long as you keep the total load below 5500W and can balance the sides ideally within 1000W.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to IowaCowboy

No you are not overloaded. Actually, you've got another 1000 watts available to use if you want to. You did a very nice job balancing the load.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to IowaCowboy

Nice! How do you like the transfer switch? Been thinking of getting one for myself!

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to IowaCowboy

I would consider alternatives for emergency heat. Perhaps one of those propane or kerosene heaters that vent through the wall (often called "direct vent" heaters).

Reason being that the efficiency of the generator in turning fuel to electricity is very low, much less than 50%. This means most of the fuel the generator burns is heating the outdoors, and not the house.

Then you could use the extra capacity to power other things, instead of blowing it all on electric heaters.

Anyways, just an idea.

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
reply to IowaCowboy

Do most transfer switches show loads like that? That is very cool(I wish those portable generators did as well,that comes in handy....)
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to TheMG

said by TheMG:

I would consider alternatives for emergency heat. Perhaps one of those propane or kerosene heaters that vent through the wall (often called "direct vent" heaters).

Reason being that the efficiency of the generator in turning fuel to electricity is very low, much less than 50%. This means most of the fuel the generator burns is heating the outdoors, and not the house.

Then you could use the extra capacity to power other things, instead of blowing it all on electric heaters.

Anyways, just an idea.

Ventless heaters also exist, Some that do not require any power all.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to Zorack

said by Zorack:

Do most transfer switches show loads like that? That is very cool(I wish those portable generators did as well,that comes in handy....)

Not most. Neat feature indeed.
I think my generator shows its load as well on a LED display, but it's useless since I gotta run to the shed to look at its panel.

Anyway, ya baseboard heating is really not the best way to heat while on generator. Anything that uses a combustion fuel will do a better job.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to IowaCowboy

My wood stove is perfect for emergency heat. I also have a gas boiler. I agree that resistance heat sucks for generator use but if it works, it works.