spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Janemba

join:2011-03-17

37% Ultra 100 Price increase??

So I saw the notification on my recent bill the upcharge to have Ultra 100 is going from $40 to $55......

So we are now paying $180 more a year for....what exactly?

Also it really irks me they still advertise having the fastest internet speeds in the nation.

Does anyone know if we are actually getting anything for this? I would happily pay them more for more speed but 37% seems like a lot for just a yearly increase.

Premium
join:2012-06-11

1 edit

Only if you let them get away with it.

The fact is that Charter believes that the customer is hooked on this speed tier and will not put up a fight..... to either downgrade to a more reasonably priced service tier or cancel service entirely.

The only way it appears that Charter will change their behavior is when the customer refuses to pay for such increases.

Janemba

reply to Janemba

Re: 37% Ultra 100 Price increase??

I just went ahead and canceled my TV service so really they lost money but sadly I think you are right.

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
reply to Janemba

Aren't you lucky?!! My understanding was most people pay around $110 mo. for Ultra 100. These prices sure are changing fast!

I pay $50 plus for only 30/4.

Janemba

Yup at $103 now.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

Ah, I see you were comparing the last two *changes*, and not total prices.

Janemba

Mm...I don't think so...my bill has been 47.99 for base internet and 40 for ultra 100 for well probably about a year now. Not sure what it was before I moved. So just comparing the line items.

But if you look at it combined still 17% yearly increase...quite significant

But regardless just figured I would post so others could check their bill and see if it increased as well as they may have missed it as I almost did.

ryu4000

join:2006-11-18
Picayune, MS
reply to Janemba

I would of went with the u100 but the price is too high at the moment maybe in a few years i will upgrade when they come out with something newer that should drop the u100.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA
reply to Janemba

said by Janemba:

Mm...I don't think so...my bill has been 47.99 for base internet and 40 for ultra 100 for well probably about a year now.

That is what I meant. Instead of comparing your total cost of $87.99 vs $102.99, you were commenting on the upgrade amounts, which I misread.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to Janemba

No matter what the price is for the max plan, I wouldn't pay that even if I was millionaire! That is just plain asinine! I don't care how many kids, computers, or other gadgets you have!

Of course I just described Charter's current status in that one word, asinine!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Expand your moderator at work

senseotech

join:2011-12-12
reply to cork1958

Good for you that you wouldn't pay it, but to call me asinine because I find value and use in it? Thanks for assuming you represent the maximum usage of everyone everywhere. Did you hear that everyone? Cork1958 says 100meg is asinine, lets just stop advancing network technologies since no one needs or wants that speed.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
reply to Janemba

Got the same as you op going from $40 to $55. $59.99 promo to $84.99 starting next month for me. Ouch. They got ya by the nuts and know it. Because if you drop the service and ever want it again. $200 activation fee. Since I have had the service long before they implemented it. I don't need to pay that fee. The next tier down for me is $55.

Internet base: $29.99
Ultra: $55.00

Janemba

said by KoRnGtL15:

Got the same as you op going from $40 to $55. $59.99 promo to $84.99 starting next month for me. Ouch. They got ya by the nuts and know it. Because if you drop the service and ever want it again. $200 activation fee. Since I have had the service long before they implemented it. I don't need to pay that fee. The next tier down for me is $55.

Yup although yours is going up even more when your promo ends, although that is to be expected. I understand an increase after a promo ends but this is just a regular rate increase

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

1 edit
reply to KoRnGtL15

said by KoRnGtL15:

Yep, in the same boat as you. Between losing the promo and the price increase, my $100+ bill will jump to over $140 and that's WITHOUT TV. It's either gonna be a new promo for me next month, when the prices go up or I'm done with Charter. Luckily I've got some competition where I am.

I think Charter is going to be in for a rude awakening when people start seeing their price increases. They aren't the only game in town anymore, like they used to be.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR

1 edit

In our area. They are the only high speed internet in town. They have a monopoly here. As they have always gone up and never down. They have a pay or you don't attitude. Sadly which seems to be working for them as they never lower the prices. Funny thing is. They don't advertise or push ultra service here at all. I guess between the extremely high price and $200 activation fee. I imagine they don't have to many customers in our area on that plan. Trust me. I would drop Charter in 2 seconds flat if we had a better offering here in our area. $55 for 30mb service is insane. Ultra makes me cry. But, like I said. I avoid the $200 activation fee. Anyone that gets new service with Ultra. Charter should throw in some Vaseline as well. Ultra would have been $69.99 for me. While still high it was not to bad from the promo. But, since it is going from $40 to $55. That is what brought it up to $84.99 that $15 difference. With this new increase. That more then likely means new speed upgrades for the tier. Which I hope is extremely soon. The weenie upload is pathetic. And still no upload channel bonding.

Expand your moderator at work

audiolocator

join:2001-11-30
Saint Peters, MO
reply to Janemba

I wouldn't mind paying $102.99/mo if I actually got 100 Mbps speeds between the hours of 4PM and Midnight, instead of the three Mbps I get now. The network is oversaturated and completely unusable, which is why I am cancelling.

cork1958
Cork
Premium

Doesn't matter what the reason is you're canceling. Charter just may get the message eventually, if they aren't as totally brain dead as they currently are appearing to be.

Good luck on who ever you're switching to.
--
The Firefox alternative.

Premium
join:2012-06-11

Yep, it looks like this new team of executive management headed up by Tom Rutledge will ONLY respond to a significant number of subscribers CANCELLING to get the point across.

Obviously the stick is needed, not the carrot, with this brass tack crowd.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
reply to Janemba

I cancelled the 100/5 package after my contract expired. The price increase, from the contract to regular cost, plus the new price plan, makes it not worth it.
--
Google is your Friend

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR

I want to do the same. But, as I said before. If I ever want to get the service again in the future. I am not willing to pay the $200 activation fee for them just to hit the switch. The new speed increases have to be coming soon. It usually a annual thing. I cant see them raising the rates just because and not give a upgrade.

anhisr

join:2001-12-01
Ballwin, MO

New management means things will not be as they were. Just because they are "due" to have a speed increase, looking at past history, means nothing with this new management team.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to KoRnGtL15

said by KoRnGtL15:

I want to do the same. But, as I said before. If I ever want to get the service again in the future. I am not willing to pay the $200 activation fee for them just to hit the switch. The new speed increases have to be coming soon. It usually a annual thing. I cant see them raising the rates just because and not give a upgrade.

That's kind of sad that you are willing to continue forking out the big bucks for a service you more or less say you don't want anymore just because they MAY charge you $200 activation fee later. I can see that going away also, once these numbnuts at Charter see what they aren't gaining and in fact losing!

Also kind of sad that you're that addicted to that speed that you think you can't survive on the 30/4 plan, which as you're hoping the annual speed increase will effect that plan also, if it comes.

Seeing as how most people want to take everything so personal, I'm going to add that is not an attack on you or your thought process or anything similar.
--
The Firefox alternative.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR

Nothing personal and I understand what you are saying. I don't know. I was doing some numbers and it will be at $85 a month each year $1,020. Compared to $55 a month each year $660. Guess I never really looked at the numbers and thought $30 difference was not to bad for Ultra. Now that I am seeing it. Over 1k a year for internet only is a lot of money.... They need a in between tier like business....

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to KoRnGtL15

said by KoRnGtL15:

Make the change at your local office. They can put a note on your account that you have (had) the 100M package before the policy change. Thus if you want to switch back, you will not be charged the activation fee.
--
Google is your Friend