uniqs
Sadpanda29
join:2013-02-03
Orlando, FL

1 edit

Sadpanda29

[Internet] I fixed my corrupted downloads! No more CRC, MD5

Hello all,

I'm new here so please be gentle. Ever since I upgraded to Brighthouse Lightning service I've been having problems with the integrity check on my downloads on all my computers and devices. It presents itself as damaged .zip, .cab or .iso files among other types of files, or "An error occurred during the install operation (80029564) message on my PlayStation 3, or unable to download the latest iOS version on my iOS device. I would test again and again downloading the latest Ubuntu release and then running an MD5 hash test (kinda like a digital signature comparison) using a MD5 checker program (you have to know the "accurate" MD5 code "string". I called several times to BH and was passed through higher tier support personnel but unfortunately nobody was able to figure out my issue. I even replaced the cable modem (Motorola SBG6580) three times, one of them with my own I purchased at Best Buy. My pings, speed, current, MTU...everything checked out green but I still had issues with my downloads! Finally I decided to "bridge" my cable modem. I'm not an expert on the term but basically it means I bypassed all routing and IP management and wireless feature to a Cisco router I purchased and left the Motorola cable modem working as just a "dumb" cable modem. For the records, I followed the instructions on this page http: ecstasyrealty.com/motorola-sbg685.html .

BEHOLD! My downloads, large and small, are PERFECT! Every game I download on my PS3 installs without problems! If anybody is having a similar issue and you have already ruled out the possibility of a damaged harddrive, faulty RAM or unreliable server AND your modem is a Motorola SBG6580 I encourage you to try this to see if it works. I imagine the problem will eventually be resolved with a firmware update but only BH holds the key to those. I'm just glad I no longer have to deal with this issue and I hope this helps anybody going through a similar problem.

tl;dr

If you are experiencing download corruption on with your Motorola SBG6580 use a separate router and don't use the cable modem as a one.
jnl06
join:2013-02-07
Bakersfield, CA

jnl06

Thank you thank you! I have been having consistent issues with updating larger iPad apps, as well as my android tablet, due to crc/md5 and zip file errors. Kicking the SBG6580 into bridge mode with a Cisco E4200v1 behind it has eliminated all download errors. I do wonder, though, how such a major operational defect wound up in shipping hardware; I would not think a docsis 3.0 modem that cannot download large files is NOT fit for purpose.

Nick
Sadpanda29
join:2013-02-03
Orlando, FL

Sadpanda29

I'm glad to hear it worked out well for you. For over a month I've been plagued with this issue looking all over the Internet for a solution. I wonder when it will be fixed via firmware update. I'm happy its over and I hope this post helps others as well.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Sadpanda29

Premium Member

to Sadpanda29
This is not a firmware issue and had you reached out to me I would have been able to assist with it. In every instance where this has been observed there was an external mechanism, signal, defective cable or similar at the root cause. I will say that given your level of expertise and equipment utilization you should have bridged your gateway anyway and used your own router however the act of doing that alone did not resolve this nor was it the result of defective firmware.

Gil Gowing
@bhn.net

Gil Gowing to Sadpanda29

Anon

to Sadpanda29
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! This had been plaguing me for months and had gotten to where I could not download big files from iTunes without an error. Now fixed and I'm very happy. Thanks again!

Gil
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

4 edits

BHNtechXpert to Sadpanda29

Premium Member

to Sadpanda29
Actually SadPanda I have sent you a PM.
RobJVM
join:2013-02-21
Largo, FL

RobJVM

Same problem with large downloads. Corrupt almost 100% of the time. From any site. Ever since lightning installed.

One solution I found was to change to OpenDNS servers. Downloads work fine but take 20 times as long.

Rob
Largo FL.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by RobJVM:

Same problem with large downloads. Corrupt almost 100% of the time. From any site. Ever since lightning installed.

One solution I found was to change to OpenDNS servers. Downloads work fine but take 20 times as long.

Rob
Largo FL.

Opena direct forums thread and include your IP address. Trust me...your issue has nothing to do with the above.