spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BonBon

@uiuc.edu

Static Electricity

I have a house that has wall to wall carpet. How do I control static especially over the winter? It's so bad that as you walk down a narrow hallway the hair on my arms stand up, not to mention my electrified cats!

TheSMJ

join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

Lack of humidity causes that. Turn up your humidifier, if you have one.

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI
reply to BonBon

Increasing humidity is the best answer , but if you need to do something quickly , you can use a product like Static Guard .
Or if you are cheap like me fill a spray bottle with 2 cap-fulls of Downy fabric softener per 8 oz of water .

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
reply to BonBon

Humidity above 30% will minimize static build-up. But it is often lower than that on very cold days and acrylic-based carpets naturally make it worse.

You can buy anti-static sprays by the gallon and also anti-static carpet squares from industrial companies like United ESD Control. »store.unitedesd.com/

You can also help cats and people to dissipate static build-up periodically:
- conductive scratching posts for cats
- metal tape on some walls for people to touch

You can buy grounding kits used for ESD straps/mats and hook up to the metal tape and scratching posts.

There are also air ionizers but they are quite expensive.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to MrFixit1

Please don't use products like that on the cats!

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

But everybody should have a cat that looks like this. Kill joy!

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to BonBon

Dry your socks with extra dryer sheets.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to BonBon

Ground your carpets!

BonBon

@uiuc.edu
reply to BonBon

Thanks for the advise. I picked up a couple of humidifiers at Wally world and am going to give them a try. Couldn't find the bacon scented water to put in them tough.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by BonBon :

Thanks for the advise. I picked up a couple of humidifiers at Wally world and am going to give them a try. Couldn't find the bacon scented water to put in them tough.

Sometimes I find my humidifier isn't powerful enough to keep the static down (especially if the heat is running). So, I'll put a big giant pot of water ta' boilin' for a bit.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
reply to BonBon

I used to work at a place with carpets...
We used an Anti-Static Spray....

It wasn't that $$ either....

Mix it with water and spray on carpets.

It was 10+ years ago...
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

said by BonBon :

Sometimes I find my humidifier isn't powerful enough to keep the static down (especially if the heat is running). So, I'll put a big giant pot of water ta' boilin' for a bit.

You need to get a bigger humidifier... Probably cheaper than boiling a pot of water and keeping it boiling.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain