spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

THX

join:1999-10-16
Saint Louis, MO

[Modem] Signs your DSL modem is going bad?

What are some signs that your DSL modem is going bad?

In the "Troubleshooting – DSL Diagnostic" section I see some suspicious noise detected. Although I had some line noise on my landline during a rain event two days ago the line noise seems to have gone.

I also rebooted my modem and replaced the DSL filter going straight from the wall into the DSL modem.

Any other things I should be checking?

How about just replacing the modem altogether?

Also, what AT&T DSL modem is considered to be their flagship DSL modem and will it support inbound web publishing by opening-up TCP/IP Port 80?

Thanks.

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
Which modem model is it and roughly how old? Some modems last longer than others and I think some have the wall wart fail early but the modem itself may be just fine.

I believe the only reliable way to tell for certain if a modem is dying is to swap a known good modem for it. That's why an old back up spare modem is handy to have around. If you don't have one, try borrowing one from a friend.
--
TCE Weather -- Mt. Rose Cam

THX

join:1999-10-16
Saint Louis, MO
It's one of the original 2701HG-B Gateway's. It was installed in May of 2004. I think it's on its last leg.

Do you have any recommendations on replacements that allow inbound web publishing like the 2701HG-B does?

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
reply to THX
In the past some 2Wires were noted for premature failures of the wall warts. I don't think that your particular model was ever mentioned here though.

That said detection of "suspicious noise" on the line isn't necessarily an indication of pending modem failure, but more a problem with the loop.
--
TCE Weather -- Mt. Rose Cam

Tech007
Premium
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to THX
said by THX:

It's one of the original 2701HG-B Gateway's. It was installed in May of 2004. I think it's on its last leg.

Do you have any recommendations on replacements that allow inbound web publishing like the 2701HG-B does?

If i am there i swap those out, nvg510 would be your replacement, but going to cost $100, since you are out of warranty