spc
Search similar:

uniqs
da_guy2
join:2003-06-10
Kanata, ON

da_guy2

New 15/10 from bell?

I know this has probably been talked about at some point... but...

I was looking at the bell website and noticed they have a 15/10 speed, but teksavvy is still only offering 15/1. Is this a new speed? Will teksavvy ever get 15/10?

Thanks

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

It's not a new speed, it was introduced at the same time as 25/10 (or more specifically, 16/7 was introduced with 25/7).

TekSavvy has chosen not to offer that speed, although they are technically capable of doing so.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to da_guy2

Premium Member

to da_guy2
15/10 and 25/10 is practically the same cost to TekSavvy, so it makes no sense to offer 15/10 for wholesale for them.
skyR
join:2007-01-14
Toronto, ON

skyR

If they got rid of the required modem rental, I'd switch in a heartbeat to 25/10 )=
da_guy2
Kanata, ON

da_guy2

said by skyR:

If they got rid of the required modem rental, I'd switch in a heartbeat to 25/10 )=

Why do you think Bell decided to have the required modem rental?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to da_guy2

MVM

to da_guy2
Because a Bell-specific firmware on specific hardware was required at the time, so the CRTC agreed that Bell should rent the modems for now, and endeavour to enable wholesalers to purchase compatible modems in the future.
da_guy2
Kanata, ON

da_guy2

I guess the key word there is "endeavour". I'm sure Bells definition is different then ours.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

"future" in Bell-speak == never
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to da_guy2

to da_guy2
Teksavvy doesn't make sense anymore for Quebec customers who want the absolute best value. (Fibe 15/10)

69$ vs. 56$ for 10mbit upload, plus free dry loop and installation, 50/10 for the first 6 months....

Granted, bell charges more for bandwidth, but for the average user Bell is now far more attractive.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to da_guy2

MVM

to da_guy2
It looks like Bell doesn't have a concept of speed changes for VDSL2, so caveat emptor if you actually manage to get 15/10 service, like we did at the office.

Moving from 15/10 to 25/10 should just be a profile change, but Bell will bill the full ~$114 activation fee (FTTN activation fee and dry loop activation fee) and dispatch two technicians, even though it's just a profile change at the same tariff pricepoint.

As a result, we're sticking to 15/10 even then 25/10 would only cost us $2/mth more

I'm not sure if the same applies going from 25 to 50 meg. I think the problem here is that 15/10 is actually an optional upgrade on the 15/1, while 25/10 is a dedicated tier in itself. So this is just Bell pulling ridiculous shenanigans, gaming the system by making trivially simple things insanely complicated and expensive.

Yeah, I'm not amused at the moment.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by Guspaz:

Moving from 15/10 to 25/10 should just be a profile change, but Bell will bill the full ~$114 activation fee (FTTN activation fee and dry loop activation fee) and dispatch two technicians, even though it's just a profile change at the same tariff pricepoint.

Yeah, I'm not amused at the moment.

Sounds like a legit complain to bring to the CRTC.

At the very least, we may get to learn about further per-line network conditioning required for faster VDSL2 tiers - Bell was quite upset about the CRTC denying past preemptive bulk network conditioning costs so I'm guessing they are eager to catch up on piecewise conditioning and avoid further CRTC rejection about that.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34

You know, I was reading the new Bell tariffs (TN7376, eff. Feb. 13) the other day, and your comments here made me go back and re-read one section. They have re-worded one of their charges paragraphs, so VDSL-to-VDSL changes MIGHT not be hit with the big charge...
~~~~~
Note 2: The service charge applies on each GAS-FTTN initial installation, and on all subsequent speed upgrades which require the use of the Company's VDSL modem and where the end-user cannot upgrade their speed without a change in modem or a customer premises visit. For all subsequent speed upgrades which require the use of the Company's VDSL modem and where the end-user does not require a change in modem or a customer premises visit, the Administration Fee per end-user applies, except if the customer requests a full installation for the speed upgrade in which case the service charge applies.
~~~~~
Emphasis was put there by me.

What do you think? Simple Admin Fee for 15/10 to 25/10 or 50/10? VDSL modem is already present; no premises visit required.

Of course, the ISP's have to also see it that way too, so they don't charge the full service charge. I would imagine they would have to get this confirmed with Bell.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to da_guy2

to da_guy2
said by da_guy2:

I know this has probably been talked about at some point... but...

I was looking at the bell website and noticed they have a 15/10 speed, but teksavvy is still only offering 15/1. Is this a new speed? Will teksavvy ever get 15/10?

Thanks

and i bet bell hasn't learned that 1 megabit = 125kilobytes/sec thus you really get ripped off with that account.

in affect before the so called overhead excuse you'd have 12/8
then take 20% off or so at least and youd get
9/6
you'd have them hand you over for any downloads legal or not log you and other aspects and if they dont like you cut you off when they feel like it.
GEE why are you advertising here no one here wants bce crap

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by funny0:

in affect before the so called overhead excuse you'd have 12/8
then take 20% off or so at least and youd get
9/6
you'd have them hand you over for any downloads legal or not log you and other aspects and if they dont like you cut you off when they feel like it.
GEE why are you advertising here no one here wants bce crap

Actually the VDSL tiers are actual speed. 15/10, 25/10, 50/10, all get sync rate set higher to compensate. Same with ADSL2+ speeds now as well, if your line quality permits.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Actually the VDSL tiers are actual speed. 15/10, 25/10, 50/10, all get sync rate set higher to compensate. Same with ADSL2+ speeds now as well, if your line quality permits.

I'll second that statement. Only Legacy profiles are still stuck having profiles that are at the speeds you want. AKA 6016/800 for a 6meg plan.

Martin
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by JenSuisUn:

Only Legacy profiles are still stuck having profiles that are at the speeds you want. AKA 6016/800 for a 6meg plan.

I think the speed people *want* is 6M/800 actually usable for IP traffic rather than 6M/800 sync.

So you probably meant "Only Legacy is stuck with tiers that aren't the speed you want" or something like that.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Thanks for clearing it up.