Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues

Re: First nations group pulls out of pipeline hearings

Maybe I'm missing something, but why do people care to oppose such a thing in the first place? Accidents are extremely rare.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Have you not seen the Enbridge track record?
Read up on the Michigan oil spill to start with.

The biggest issue is the sham these hearings are. Harper being in favour is going to override any negative decision anyway.

It's like municipalities trying to challenge developers at an OMB hearing. The OMB usually rubber stamps the developers appeal, wasting the taxpayers money on fighting the developers, like Enbridge have very deep pockets.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 edit

MaynardKrebs to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why do people care to oppose such a thing in the first place? Accidents are extremely rare.

But the effects of one are pretty catastrophic & long lasting.

Imagine a pipeline which crosses the Fraser River in BC, and it has a rupture near or over the river crossing. All water downstream of the rupture is contaminated - 1 part per billion is enough to make water non-potable. All communities downstream can't use Fraser water for drinking, or even passing through reverse osmosis membranes - oil kills the membranes.

If it happens during the salmon run, the females all die before they can lay eggs - the salmon population is decimated, thousands of people lose their livelihoods immediately, and the price of salmon skyrockets across the country (please Mr Oil Company, us Toronto consumers want compensation too).

Then, as in Alaska in the aftermath of the Exxon Valdez, oil gathers in backwater eddies of the river, under clumps of stone, or wherever it finds an natural gathering place, and clumps together. And for dozens of years this coagulated oil continues to leach slicks into the fresh water, contaminating it.

In the late 1970's, the Amoco Cadiz - a VLCC tanker, went aground off the coast of Brittany, France. This is an area of ocean which has highly active wave action and scour. Yet they're still cleaning up oil off the beaches to this day, nearly 35 years later. Ditto the Exxon Valdez.

Nothing man does is entirely safe. In situations where the 'downstream' effects can be catastrophic to communities, there MUST be hearings and as many safeguards as possible put in-place if a project like this is approved, otherwise it just isn't worth the risk.

And you can bet your last penny that if the shit did hit the fan, the company won't have enough insurance to pay for the cleanup; that the profits the company made have long since been distributed to mostly foreign shareholders; and anything the government does to cleanup the mess will be mostly cosmetic.

Oh, one last thing......BC is a seismic zone too, but it'll probably be some low-bidder steel pipe that fails causing the accident.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

For me it's that one accident could do damage that far outweighs the long term financial benefits. Then you still have a mess, and its all been for naught.

Honestly if I were in charge in BC I would make an oil pipeline levy/tax. I would calculate the max. estimate of damage from a worst case scenario leak. and add 20% (because every estimate I've ever read underestimates damages). Put all that into an untouchable cleanup fund. Then charge another 10 to 15% on top so the province gets something out of it. If the distribution tax is to high than so be it, no pipeline.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

The problem is twofold with that thought ( good idea though)
1) I don't trust any government to actually put that money away for such an occasion, one only needs to look at the money squandered in Alberta from royalties.
2) The cost would be passed on to the Asians, who would pass the cost back to us via exports due to higher costs.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
i recommend you don't look at this:

»maps.google.ca/maps?hl=e ··· t=h&z=13

the oil platforms were actually erected to get the oil that was seeping out of the land (onshore and offshore), contaminating the area for tens of thousands of years.

all i'm saying is the doomsday scenarios don't help...i'd rather the oil came to Sarnia and a refinery was set up there to process it...perhaps Ontario Oil (an oil version of the LCBO) could be set up, with profits going to the province.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

all i'm saying is the doomsday scenarios don't help...i'd rather the oil came to Sarnia and a refinery was set up there to process it...perhaps Ontario Oil (an oil version of the LCBO) could be set up, with profits going to the province.

*bangs head against wall*

I like the idea of a West -> East pipeline. I think it's long overdue. But i'm fairly convinced that I read that post wrong because I can't believe anybody would advocate giving the LCBO control of Gasoline....

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by corster:

I like the idea of a West -> East pipeline. I think it's long overdue. But i'm fairly convinced that I read that post wrong because I can't believe anybody would advocate giving the LCBO control of Gasoline....

i'm not expecting Venezuela gas prices, but if we're going to pay $1.30/litre for gas, at least our province could get billions in profits to help pay down the debt...everyone knows we need it, especially from the way our government has messed things up the last 8 years.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

1 recommendation

corster

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by corster:

i'm not expecting Venezuela gas prices, but if we're going to pay $1.30/litre for gas, at least our province could get billions in profits to help pay down the debt...everyone knows we need it, especially from the way our government has messed things up the last 8 years.

Except if the LCBO ran it, we would be paying $2.60/litre for gas in the name of Social Responsibility

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by corster:

Except if the LCBO ran it, we would be paying $2.60/litre for gas in the name of Social Responsibility

well, they wouldn't have a monopoly, they would have to compete on the open market with other refineries...the pricing would be the same as what we have, we would simply get some of the profits...the oil companies don't seem interested in extra refining capacity, we should do it ourselves.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

It's not so much they're not interested,the environmental hoops they have to jump through are huge.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

It's not so much they're not interested,the environmental hoops they have to jump through are huge.

understandable...and there should be solid reasonable policies in place to protect the environment to minimize the impact should something happen.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Accidents are rare. But these so-called environmental groups have no issues with corporate terrorism so they could vandalize a pipeline causing catastrophic damage. All it take is one douche-bag to 'prove a point' about the dangers of pipelines by bombing one.

Either way, though, you can't win.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by J E F F4:

All it take is one douche-bag to 'prove a point' about the dangers of pipelines by bombing one.

one only needs to look at the Walkerton tragedy as proof of the dangers of someone looking to "prove a point".

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by J E F F4:

All it take is one douche-bag to 'prove a point' about the dangers of pipelines by bombing one.

one only needs to look at the Walkerton tragedy as proof of the dangers of someone looking to "prove a point".

the thing those two brothers proved that you could run a town (poorly, but get away with it) with a BAC of 0.24!
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to corster

Premium Member

to corster
said by corster:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

Gasoline & liquor together ..... what could go wrong?
They don't call it 'firewater' for nothing.
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

....at least our province could get billions in profits to help pay down the debt...everyone knows we need it, especially from the way our government has messed things up the last 8 years.

You mean since Harris was elected.
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by corster:

well, they wouldn't have a monopoly, they would have to compete on the open market with other refineries...the pricing would be the same as what we have, we would simply get some of the profits...the oil companies don't seem interested in extra refining capacity, we should do it ourselves.

Part of the problem is that gasoline demand is decreasing as vehicles get better mileage, hence that's PART of the calculus in closing refineries. The other part is to create scarcity of supply so prices go up in the face of declining demand.

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a Tesla S - I rather like the idea of going nearly 500Km on $6 of electricity vs. nearly $90 in my 2nd choice - a new BMW 5-series.