spc
Search similar:

uniqs

skcussregor
@rogers.com

skcussregor

Anon

[Extreme] WIN 8 Security

I find it extremely frustrating that rogers has now been advising clients, for a full 6 months now, that they are still working on getting their "included" security software to work with Windows 8. Their scripted message for the chat service still says they expect to have it ready "asap."
Given this, and Bell's unlimited downloads which are significantly cheaper - I think its time to go!
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Their 'included' security is crap. Why are you using it?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

use windows firewall + windows defender.
Viper359
Premium Member
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

Viper359 to skcussregor

Premium Member

to skcussregor
Why would you trust any internet provider to give you an all in one solution. Aside from the fact that if someone can shut down an all in one solution, you are up the creek without a paddle. Good security is using multiple solutions, to do different tasks very well, rather than an all in one, doing all tasks, mediocre.

Perma
join:2011-12-20

Perma to skcussregor

to skcussregor
Why add third party security bloatware? Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender and Windows firewall, all that's needed.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

A firewall on the system you're trying to protect is like letting a burglar into your front hallway ... he can still do all kinds of havoc. Your firewall should be OUTSIDE your system, such as on a router. So Windows firewall is silly.

As for Windows Defender, most efforts by M$ to produce AV products thus far have not exactly been outstanding in their field ... more like out, standing in the field! So, I wouldn't trust Windows Defender. I would go with a 3rd party that is IN THE ANTIVIRUS BUSINESS, (not a jack of all trades) such as Avira or AVG or Kaspersky. (AVG seem to have resolved the excess system impact problems they had in an earlier version)
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Kaspersky's a pathetic program. It won't let me add exceptions for git, so anytime I try to do anything (like right-click new folder), it takes forever cuz of git's integration.

I'll be recommending to my boss that we switch from it.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

I had issues with Kaspersky like that ... but it is considered a good AV engine for detecting them!