All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers to toothpicvic

Anon

to toothpicvic

Re: [DSL] Dry loop installation: demarc box not connected?

said by toothpicvic:

Here's the story:

My friend has ordered TS DSL6, ordered the install for Feb 2, the Bell tech came, installed the demarcation box, but didn't install it to the house lines, so there is no dry loop into the house at all. I tried to open the demarc box, but couldn't open the orange knobs to get to the phone port to even test if the demarc box is working.

What orange knobs?

Any Demarc I have seen has a small screw for the customer side to open and a bolt for the Bell side to open.

Take a picture of said orange knobs.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by rogersmogers :

What orange knobs?

Any Demarc I have seen has a small screw for the customer side to open and a bolt for the Bell side to open.

There are two types of modern demarcation modules. One has the traditional screw design with test jack and the other has insulation displacement connectors like this: »csmedia.corning.com/Cabl ··· U2_A.jpg
toothpicvic
join:2012-07-19
Toronto, ON

1 edit

toothpicvic to rogersmogers

to rogersmogers
Click for full size
Click for full size
Thanks for your input, everyone. I have attached some pictures of the demarc box.

Apologies for my lack of terminology, but the "orange knobs" that I was referring to was just what InvalidError posted, referring to it as a insulation displacement connector, which I was unable to open to test the jack.

At this point, are the only options to call a 3rd party electrician or to cancel TekSavvy altogether?
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

To access the "test jack", slide the largest orange blob to the (right) side, and then that entire subassembly should pivot open (hinge is visible at right side edge). The "test jack" is underneath it.

The smaller orange things are where your inside wiring should be connected.
toothpicvic
Toronto, ON

toothpicvic

Thanks for this, mlord.

I did try moving it, but it seemed stuck, for some reason.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

It's quite FIRM. Because when you move it, it disconnects the inside wiring terminals. I'll see if my neighbour is in -- he's got a pretty similar looking one, and I might get a photo of it in the "open" state to help with understanding it.

5-10mins.
mlord

1 edit

mlord

Click for full size
How to open it.
Click for full size
That was easy.
Click for full size
Hookup for house wiring.
Yup, he has the exact same model as the one you posted the photo of. To open it, push very hard to the right on the left edge of the latch, with a lifting force at the same time. It will bend slightly, move right maybe a 1/16", and then the whole thing should pop open.

Once it is open, you can see how the inside wiring is intended to be hooked up.
Photos here (by me) courtesy of my neighbour.

Cheers
toothpicvic
Toronto, ON

toothpicvic

Thanks so much for this, mlord, very helpful!
xporterX
join:2010-07-11

xporterX

Install the inside wire yourself, don't waste time and money with a "firm" like xbell with an xbell van.
xporterX

xporterX to toothpicvic

to toothpicvic
Oh, and you might want to call tecksavvy and tell them that the bell tech did not install a ground wire.

xbell
@cgocable.net

xbell to xporterX

Anon

to xporterX
said by xporterX:

Install the inside wire yourself, don't waste time and money with a "firm" like xbell with an xbell van.

I agree, and I have been posting in here for years assisting people in doing their own wiring. It beats paying the BTS monkeys driving vans dressed up as Bell vans and dressed up as real Bell techs.
xporterX
join:2010-07-11

xporterX

They pay bell not bts. Keep living a dream xbell, oh and nice work on the kjijii posts.
toothpicvic
Toronto, ON

toothpicvic to xporterX

to xporterX
Thanks for the suggestion, I forwarded the picture to TS in the Direct forum, and they said it seems fine to them.

Looks like at this point my friend is just going to cancel her service, and I have to say I can't blame her, as there seems to be far to many hoops to jump through to simply get the install properly. To the demarc box or not, the install/activation should ensure that it's going to the place it's supposed to.
Expand your moderator at work