spc
uniqs

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: VOIP providers in Ontario?

I'm not sure how many are incoming vs outgoing, I'd wager at least 75% since the majority of the time my mother is calling back when she gets home from her jobs. The 7000 is just an average as well of 4 hours / day, Ive seen my mother spend whole afternoons on the phone.

As for countries, they would be Spain, Australia, El Salvador and Honduras.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by TypeS:

I'm not sure how many are incoming vs outgoing....

....As for countries, they would be Spain, Australia, El Salvador and Honduras.

OK, so if we estimated that HALF were incoming, then that would be 3500 minutes outgoing = $17.50-ish if to Canada.

But the outside of Canada/US calls - I have not checked any of the providers about which I was speaking very much about such rates - so Vonage has decent rates to those countries ?

BTW, I have not suggested voip.ms nor FPL by name (I have not mentioned FPL at all), though you have mentioned both of them twice as unsuitable for you.

EDIT : I have checked further and it looks like Vonage will issue a new Kingston number, but not Cornwall, and will not port in existing numbers from either, let alone even DREAMING about them properly servicing a city of 30K like Brockville.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

I said 75%, not 50%, and the 7000 is just an average.

The calls to Spain & Australia are unlimited and free, the calls to El Salvador & Honduras are $0.16/minute. These calls are definitely all outgoing and lengthy ones as well.

I mentioned voip.ms and FPL because they are the providers that have been vouched for the most in this thread. as being cheaper alternatives.

My point is that whether these pay as you go VoIP providers are cheaper or not is subjective the how much usage the line actually gets.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

....As for countries, they would be Spain [included], Australia [included], El Salvador [.16 per minute], and Honduras [.09 per minute to landlines]. - [on the Vonage 'World Canada' plan]

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

Ah well calling to Honduras got cheaper than it was 2 years ago. Most VoIP provider have pretty much the same rates to all countries, so I wouldn't save much if anything on the calls to Central America.

Using flat rate providers or pay as you go providers is like choosing between TekSavvy's 300GB or Unlimited caps on their internet packages, you decide based on your usage.

There is also the added bonus that I didn't have to pay for the ATA device. And it does everything I need it to out of the box.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

....My point is that whether these 'pay as you go' VoIP providers are cheaper or not is subjective the how much usage the line actually gets.

I agree with that - just that I did not expect such a level of usage.

And yes, I was curious enought to look up the LDX rates too.

BTW, I chose 50% as I was not sure which direction you meant as the 75%.

Also, if the outgoing calls are to outside Canada (even to USA), the cost per minute generally rises with PAYG BYOD VoIP providers. - Mind you, many of them allow having numbers in other countries, and though I have not investigated that very much, setting up some of those might be a way to cut costs for someone with the calling profile which you describe.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

Well glad we cleared it up a bit then.

Hopefully the OP can make an informed choice now.

When I get my own place later this year, I might go the route of just not having a land line/VoIP line. I personally barely use anything but my mobile. And even then I've been forced by friends who refuse to use voice anymore to conduct the majority of my communication via texts (I'm lazy, calling is much easier haha).

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

....Most VoIP provider have pretty much the same rates to all countries, so I wouldn't save much if anything on the calls to Central America....

Yes, I just noticed that Vonage includes a pre-configged device.

And my Internet usage would be better suited to the 300 plan in the case of TSI examples, though others might insist on unlimited.

Now that this has me going, I will check some LDX rates with my providers and report back....

Cheers !
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

....Hopefully the OP can make an informed choice now....

Oh YES, the OP !

BTW, I am still curious where they could be, that has no DSL but does have cable.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

It says Ottawa, ON under their username. Might be a new subdivision with no copper PSTN wiring?