spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ASR

@optonline.net

IR Extender Blows Box

Yesterday, I tried to plug in a IR extender into the back of a QIP7232-P2. Not only did it not work, it blew the IR eye on the front of the box so that the remote would not work. I was able to manage the box from my iphone, but Verizon is now sending a new box. Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks
AR

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

Which IR extender did you use? By design, the correct IR extender disables the front IR receiver....

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to ASR

I use IR extenders on both of my 7232's and I have never had any problems. Nycdave is correct, the IR extender disables the box IR receiver when it is plugged in. Did you unplug the IR entender before trying the box again?

lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ASR

said by ASR :

Yesterday, I tried to plug in a IR extender into the back of a QIP7232-P2. Not only did it not work, it blew the IR eye on the front of the box so that the remote would not work. I was able to manage the box from my iphone, but Verizon is now sending a new box. Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks
AR

Probably a dirty contact on ther switch associated with the IR extender jack. Spraying a little 90% denatured alcohol into the hole and the plugging and removing the plug into the hole a few times would most likely have cleaned it. But since VZ is sending a replacement box maybe you'll get a newer model..

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by lijacobs:

Spraying a little 90% denatured alcohol into the hole and the plugging and removing the plug into the hole a few times would most likely have cleaned it.

Should go without saying "unplug power to box from wall", but for the benefit of the one person who doesn't understand the rules...

Before doing this step, unplug power from the wall, so box is not live.

f38urry

join:2002-01-10
Spring Valley, NY

1 edit
reply to ASR

I recently installed a Motorola IR Extender. No, I didn't have the same "blown box" problem described by the OP.

When I was attempting to set everything up, my channels were scrolling at lightning speed. VZ Tech Support had no solution.

I needed a bit more cable length (than the 30" Motorola cable from Verizon) so I purchased an inexpensive audio cable extender at Radio Shack. The 1/8" (3.5mm) male end of the new cable is slightly shorter than the original IR Extender. However, now I have no flakiness and the system works as desired.

A side benefit of the IR Extender, that I didn't expect, is that I don't have to aim the remote directly at the receiver. It works great, even without line-of-sight alignment.

ASR

@verizon.net
reply to nycdave

I used a MX-850 RF base station to connect the IR. Yes, I did disconnect the IR from the back of the STB DVR.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

That isn't an approved IR extender to use with a Moto STB....

Please don't plug that device into another STB, or else you will blow the next one.

This is the only approved IR extender for Moto 7000-series boxes:

»teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/in···yDetails

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to ASR

said by ASR :

I used a MX-850 RF base station to connect the IR. Yes, I did disconnect the IR from the back of the STB DVR.

You plugged the base into the STB? YIKES.

ASR

@verizon.net

No, I plugged an IR extender FROM the base into the STB. I thought that it would work.

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
kudos:2

said by ASR :

No, I plugged an IR extender FROM the base into the STB. I thought that it would work.

I've tried to do that with a 7200p2 and although it didn't "blow the box," it didn't work either. I'd recommend using an IR eye supplied with the base station, instead of trying to use the ir extender port on the Motorola. The extender port works fine with my AVR and PS3 Bluetooth adapter, but I could not get the Verizon box to cooperate.

djoropallo

join:2003-10-20
Maple Shade, NJ
reply to ASR

I got an extender off of Amazon last year, worked great out of the box. I just plugged it in and stuck it to the top of the TV.

»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JS···_s00_i00