donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Be careful in a Toronto Taxi

You never know who is driving.

"Beck Taxi driver Bernard Koranteng has been convicted of assaulting a female passenger, threatening death and dangerous driving.
He is still picking up fares — one of 255 Toronto cabbies the city has tried and failed to get off the road."

The city uses an honour system for drivers to report offences and convictions. This needs to be fixed.

»www.thestar.com/news/inv ··· oad.html

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

"Still picking up fares"? Why isn't he in jail?

sillystory
@electronicbox.net

sillystory to donoreo

Anon

to donoreo
it's private company. they can hire whomever they want.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

Private companies don't have to obey laws?
dragonfly5
join:2012-09-04

dragonfly5 to donoreo

to donoreo
I don't think mandatory background checks for taxi drivers would be too onerous.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Toronto is run by gangs, the mob and corrupt politicians. We need ...... The Arrow!!

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to sillystory

Premium Member

to sillystory
said by sillystory :

They need a taxi driver license, the city gives that. So no they cannot hire whomever they want.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to sillystory

to sillystory
said by sillystory :

Here in Peterborough they have to be approved to drive a taxi by the police services board.

A couple years ago one of the local drivers still picked up a chick and assaulted her despite being vetted.

My sister won't use a cab but gets a local designated driver company to drive her home as they only hire drivers with no criminal record and they work in pairs and it is less likely to be assaulted by two perps.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by sillystory :

They need a taxi driver license, the city gives that. So no they cannot hire whomever they want.

Drivers do deals with the city board to keep their license, which includes a very short suspension, and a 3 yr probation period.

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to peterboro

to peterboro

said by peterboro See Profile
My sister won't use a cab but gets a local designated driver company to drive her home as they only hire drivers with no criminal record and they work in pairs and it is less likely to be assaulted by two perps.

Wow and is the fare double the price?

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to donoreo

to donoreo
Not surprising for me at least. And Yes I dont drive a cab.
After I my experience these thing don't surprise me.
The cab drive was sleeping at Warden/Steels Ave green light.
After I called Beck to complain the driver said nobody can do anything. Not even the cops. May be it is true. So I called cops. because nothing happened. I still can see the driver at pacific mall.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by sillystory :

Here in Peterborough they have to be approved to drive a taxi by the police services board.

A couple years ago one of the local drivers still picked up a chick and assaulted her despite being vetted.

so with that in mind the passenger must perform due diligence, check for a valid license while boarding the taxi. Seems like some level of protection as long as a legit licence is on display.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by koira:

said by peterboro:

said by sillystory :

so with that in mind the passenger must perform due diligence, check for a valid license while boarding the taxi. Seems like some level of protection as long as a legit licence is on display.

Not really, as licenses are displayed in all cars - even those on probation from crimes.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira

Premium Member

said by resa1983:

Not really, as licenses are displayed in all cars - even those on probation from crimes.

understood but as Peterborough noted in his town with a police check required, as long as you see a license that's current you are relatively save compared to T.O. Where anything goes
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

peterboro (banned) to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

said by peterboro See Profile

Wow and is the fare double the price?

Not that your safety comes with a price but she says it's 5 bucks more than a cab ride home and she doesn't have to go get her car in the morning which I guess means one less cab ride so in the end it's cheaper I guess.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Exactly. What's an impaired worth these days for lawyers, lost wages, and blow-box fees?
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to koira

to koira
said by koira:

said by resa1983:

understood but as Peterborough noted in his town with a police check required, as long as you see a license that's current you are relatively save compared to T.O. Where anything goes

There are only two cab companies allowed in Peterborough and one is owned by the mayor. So you are checked by the owners and the cops do a CPIC check and a NICHE check with logs every time you deal with a cop in Ontario over your whole lifetime.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to dragonfly5

Premium Member

to dragonfly5
said by dragonfly5:

I don't think mandatory background checks for taxi drivers would be too onerous.

They do run (in theory) new checks every 4 years... But it's basically an honour system to report any "changes in status or convictions" to the employer and the taxi board.

Ya, right...
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

I know a cab driver here and he said the cops check into your past pretty thoroughly. He was asked about an fight he got into at a local bar that was 10 years old and he was never charged for.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

it's all just a bunch of smoke and mirrors....... cops chase bad guys, courts prosecute and convict, the bad guys get criminal records to prove they are convicted bad guys, but then, what do we do with it, nothing!!

we treat the record like its unrealted to their character while serving the public and we create these pseudo tribunals and licensing mechanisms who think they are poor sisters to the court system, striking plea deals as if they are on an episode of law and order or something..........meanwhile, it puts the average law abiding people at risk (who know nothing about all these activities because they are law abiding, trusting the system is taking care of them). all they want is to get into a cab and get a safe drive to where they are doing.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Follow up story.

They are going to increase the checks to every two years. Better than nothing.

»www.thestar.com/news/can ··· rds.html
Viper359
Premium Member
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

Viper359 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
I am not a cab driver, in fact, most of them drive me nuts with how they drive, and how they park, but I mean, this article is a little more than hyperbole. How many taxi drivers are there? How many serious assaults etc against the customer have their been? How many people take a trip every day, event free in a taxi?

Not defending the bad drivers, but, just using a little perspective here. The industry as a whole needs to change. The drivers are forced to rent the car, pay for the gas, pay for their fee's related to the job, and must pay this everyday, busy or not. Until we change how the system operates, drivers will continue to drive like mad, chase fares down, fight back against fare jumpers, fight with each other for fares.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Wolfie00

Premium Member

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

The law doesn't say you can't hire based on criminal history, so what "law" are you referring to?
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by J E F F4:

said by Wolfie00:

The law doesn't say you can't hire based on criminal history, so what "law" are you referring to?

The law is very specific as to record of offences and I doubt a consideration.