Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to rfhar

Re: Windows 8's usage uptake falls further behind Vista's

i dont understand what the problem is with Windows 8.

It works great for me, of course i dont mind change and learning new things. I very rarely (if at all) see the dreaded start screen in my day to day usage. I have shortcuts to my most used programs on my desktop, the others are a quick search or few clicks away.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
said by slckusr:

i dont understand what the problem is with Windows 8.

It works great for me, of course i dont mind change and learning new things. I very rarely (if at all) see the dreaded start screen in my day to day usage. I have shortcuts to my most used programs on my desktop, the others are a quick search or few clicks away.

And that's fine for a home user. You have the time to play and the freedom to do as you please. If you screw up, well, you've only screwed yourself up.

For a business user, not so much. Companies generally don't just hand you a computer and let you load it with Metro apps or whatever else you want, especially if it's connected to their network. That poses security risks they can't afford. They also can't afford the downtime while you play and learn, they still have work to get done. An investment in Win8 is going to cost them a lot more than just the software, and the return on investment just isn't there.

Like it or not, a big piece of Microsoft's business is the corporate customer. People sitting at home tend to forget that, but those corporations help pay the freight. What you do is not what they do. If something doesn't further their business, they're simply not going to go there. A few seconds' faster boot time isn't going to cut it with them.