Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Annmarie
Lillian
join:2000-11-11
kudos:5

Pergo - Cleaning

Since we are the subject of floor cleaning ...

My husband Pergo(ed) every room in our home except the bathroom and bedroom which have tile and carpet.

I hate it. The Pergo I mean. It is "real" Pergo if that makes a difference and it is the nail down kind.
It looks fantastic compared to other laminate floor installations I have seen but it is not my choice for flooring.
"But you can pick out the color honey".
Oh please! Two words: Pergo casket

It mostly looks like a wood floor.
I wanted a wood floor.
Same with that big deck he built.
He wanted Trex and I wanted cedar.

Eventually we had to flip a coin - seriously.
He won the Pergo which I have to see everyday and I won the cedar which I see only occasionally but does not look like play school furniture.
I know most do not but it was the principle of the thing.
I like wood. Oak is my favorite, cedar being number 2.
Pine I am not fond of but makes a nice desk if stained properly as well as for clear moldings.

Any how, I have to vacuum daily sometimes twice since we have four pugs.
But for washing I am at a loss.

I have tried several of the recommended laminate floor cleaners from various companies as exactly as described and get streaks.
I even wash with the grain and I still get streaks.
Vinegar and water = streaks.
Some of them are seriously expensive for weekly cleaning.

The streaks are very noticeable since the house has a great deal of natural light.

I have used a Shark Steam Cleaner and it works great! No streaks and no chemicals.
One of my pugs is allergic to many things but water she is not.

I am sure I am not supposed to be steaming a Pergo floor though it does dry almost immediately it is still steam.

Did I mention it works great?

I have also used the Swifter Wet Jet but sparingly. It leaves the least streaks out of all the cleaners.

Can someone recommend something?
I will buy a small bottle and see how it works.
--
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

valvoj

join:2002-01-23
Cicero, NY

My wife uses what you have mentioned, a steam cleaner and a Swifter Wet Jet and both work great on ours and haven't had any issues.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Annmarie

I'd recommend a Bona.
»www.amazon.com/BonaKemi-WM710013···duct_top

There is various cleaning solutions from hardwood to tile to laminate. We have 2 cats and a dog and it's better then a Swiffer or anything else we've tried so far.

For testing you can just buy a small bottle at Home Depot.
»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···PFx2CmSo
»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···PQR2CmSo
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to Annmarie

I have wood floors and use Swiffer Wet Jet (liquid...looks like the Bona that Xcal posted). No streaks that I notice. But I also do a dry run and vacuum. Might try the Bona when the Swiffer runs out. No refill pads?? Oh man...that would save much over Swiffer junk pads...

You mentioned water and vinegar streaks? Is this tap water?
Usually vinegar doesn't streak. Perhaps test with distilled and vinegar?
--
Splat

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL
reply to Annmarie

I have to agree with you, I'm not a fan of pergo. I have a great idea, let's take a photocopy of real wood and make a floor out of it...

As to pine, agree with you as well. With the exception of heart pine, now that is a beautiful wood! Years ago we were demoing an old, old house. The flooring in the attic turned out to be heart pine. The amazing thing was the width of some of the planks had to have been ~16-24". It would have made a wonderful floor in someone's house.

As to cleaning, I was going to suggest a swifter as well.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Annmarie

Equal parts water and vinegar. In a bucket if you have a lot, or a spray bottle if you are "touching up". Use a cuban mop and a old hand towel. Rubbermaid makes a decent mop with a washable terry cloth head and attached spray bottle if you want to spend more for some fancy.

Annmarie
Lillian

1 edit
reply to Annmarie

I happen to use RO water since I though the same thing about the mineral making the streaks.

When you guys say Swifter you mean the Swifter Wet Jet right? Swifters are the things that look like dryer sheets but are for dusting.
The Wet Jet is pretty good but I have to go absolutely with the grain.

I will check out the Bona. Thank you.

I am going to try a couple of suggestions here: »tipnut.com/clean-laminate/ - homemade - and if none work then try the Bona.
Seems other people find them dull and streaky also.
--
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

Chuck22
Premium
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Annmarie

My son-in-law has Pergo flooring in his kitchen. He uses Windex with microfiber cloth(s) for cleaning that floor. Always looks like a really good wood floor, but must be a bit of a pain to keep clean that way.
--
amicitia sine fraude

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Annmarie

Ours is a older Armstrong laminate, so your mileage may vary but my wife uses dry swiffers with Murphy's and it doesn't streak too bad. »www.soap.com/p/murphys-oil-murph···pspn=pla

It's a light floor so you have to look hard for streaks. Our bathroom is a dark cherry laminate from either Costco or Sam's and it comes out well too. I put down both floors, but they are my last laminates. I hate the stuff. The only thing that looks like wood is wood.

Edit: She dilutes the Murphy's... the dilution amount I can't tell you. She really couldn't answer how much. I pried a little more and I would guess it is ten parts water to one part Murphy's. She sprays the floor with it and then comes behind with the Swiffer. The only thing I see left behind is paw prints when the dog decides to run over the still wet floor.

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV

I agree with that...

Dell User
Premium
join:2002-01-21
Waterford, CT
reply to Annmarie

We use a splash of ammonia in a half bucket of water and one of those microsponge mops.

»na.pergo.com/HowTo_Care.aspx

Annmarie
Lillian
reply to Annmarie

A seriously good vacuuming today but the washing will be held off for several days.
We have snow coming - an inch or a foot - it does not make much difference.
Sloppy wet boots and paws will just be damp mopped for now.
When the mess is over I will start with the vinegar and work my way up to ammonia.

Thanks for all the suggestion.
--

jsbaker

join:2002-07-13
Houston, TX
reply to Annmarie

I can second Windex and a Microfiber mop. The Bona kits work for some but not others a friend at work reccomended it and it's horrible on my floors and so is the ZEP laminate cleaner just like vengar and water. Windex is the only thing we use and it works wonders and dries quick.

My mom just had actual pergo put in about 6 months ago, $4K worth of it. She tried the Pergo kit and after listening to her complain and complain and me telling her 10 times to try Windex she finally did and now only uses it too.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Annmarie

The Bona has different cleaners. It comes with hardwood but there is a title/laminate you can buy that works better for those surfaces. Using the hardwood cleaner on title streaks for example but the title cleaner on title doesn't. The blue cleaner is hardwood and green is title/laminate. Did you use the green stuff that doesn't come with the kit but is purchased separately?
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Annmarie
Lillian
reply to jsbaker

I have a lot of floors to clean. Living room dining room without walls, long hall way, home office and spare room with a bird.

I am going to try the office first with the Windex and see how it goes.

I have a dog who is allergic to so many things I hesitate to try the windex but a small area and we will know pretty quickly.

I think any cleaner that leaves a residue is what makes it streaky and shows paw prints. Ammonia based Windex most likely will not leave a residue.

Not sure what other flooring would have been an option.
With the pugs carpeting was a nightmare.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
--

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to jsbaker

said by jsbaker:

I can second Windex and a Microfiber mop.

Or make your own windex. 1/2 cup of ammonia, 2 cups rubbing alcohol, a dash of dish soap, and water to fill a gallon container.

Annmarie
Lillian

That is my kind of windex.
I think a professional window washer recommended that formula.

I actually like to wash windows. Never any streaks with the original Windex. Yes, another streak issue.
The fancy ones with perfumes and such streak.

Brand new white cloth diapers and original windex on an over cast day.
Love the tip in windows.
--

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

said by Annmarie:

Brand new white cloth diapers and original windex on an over cast day.

Plain old ordinary newsprint (not the ad slicks) make great window cleaning "cloths" in case people don't happen to have brand new white cloth diapers lying around...then again, newspapers seem to be going the same general direction as cloth diapers.

jsbaker

Houston, TX
reply to Draiman

Since they are laminate floors I think I am smart enough to purchase the tile and stone version and not the hardwood version.

I honestly think the issue with our is something with the floors themselves.

jsbaker

Houston, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Annmarie

I have about 1600 sq ft of the stuff so I know what you mean about alot. We normally buy the wal-mart store brand glass cleaner since it's half the cost and works just as good. Dollar store versions on the other hand don't have as much ammonia or alcohol one of the two and don't work.