uniqs
share rss forum feed

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

A New Toy For Home Networks

TP-LINK TL-PA511KIT, AV500 Gigabit Powerline Adapter Starter Kit

TP-LINK 500Mbps Gigabit Powerline Adapter TL-PA511 turns your existing powerline into a high speed network with no need for new wires or drilling. The twin pack design of TL-PA511KIT helps establish a powerline network initially. No configuration is required, simply plug your adapters into your power sockets and you can establish networking infrastructure in a flash. With a speed of up to 500Mbps, TL-PA511 transmits multiple HD streams and even 3D movies to every room, making it a great choice for an easy to build multimedia entertainment network.

Features
HomePlug AV standard compliant, high-speed data transfer rate of up to 500Mbps, ideal for HD video or 3D video streaming and online gaming
Mains Filter for better powerline communication performance
No new wires, use existing electrical wiring
Up to 300 meter range over a home's electrical circuit for better performance through walls or across floors
Plug and Play, no new wires or configuration required
Patented Power-Saving Mode automatically reduces power consumption by up to 85%
128-bit AES encryption ensures that the network is safe simply by pressing a button on paired devices
Built-in QoS assures the quality of bandwidth sensitive applications such as voice, video and online games
Supports IGMP managed multicast IP transmission, optimizes IPTV streaming

Quick Specifications:
Interface: Gigabit Ethernet Port
Plug Type: EU, US, UK

»www.canadacomputers.com/product_···d=050700

dabonz

join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON
looks neat so basically it turns you're Home network data transfer faster speeds

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elitefx
Like all the other powerline kits that came before this one, performance relies heavily on your home wiring. When I worked at local computer store I saw many returns because people got worse performance than had they stuck with wireless, especially in older homes. New homes work perfectly (most times).

TP-Links support if you need their help is garbage too, I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for their first attempts at powerline kits.

RLBL

join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON
reply to elitefx
I have been using a DLINK set for over a year now... very happy with them.

(I even have another router connected to the main one through and adapter.. flawless)

burkek

@on.ca
I use this device for streaming HD movies from my NAS downstairs to my original model WD TV Live device in our bedroom upstairs (which has no CAT5 cabling). Works really well and no glitches. House is 5 1/2 years old.

franklyong
Cisco Geek

join:2004-12-05
Canada
reply to elitefx
Anybody want to test what speeds you get from this?

I was considering this since I didn't want to lay Cable in my house.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
reply to elitefx
Just purchased Powerline adaptors for $30 and they work perfectly to connect my FibeTV STB and I receive all the HD channels without issue.

These little devices are awesome

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
said by Dunlop:

Just purchased Powerline adaptors for $30 and they work perfectly to connect my FibeTV STB and I receive all the HD channels without issue.

These little devices are awesome

$30 for the entire kit?!?! Or just one adapter? And if it's for an entire kit, care to share share you got it from? I'd like to replace this messy looking ethernet cable I'm running from one room to another.

Dunlop

Not as quick as the one in the OP but :

»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···33555041

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
said by Dunlop:

Not as quick as the one in the OP but :

»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···33555041

Sweet! Thanks!

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to elitefx
I don't understand how these things work. How the hell does this send data through the electric outlet?

Poser

join:2002-07-28
The same way an RJ45 cable uses electrical pulses to send data!

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
reply to elitefx
I used these for a year in a place with old wiring (20 years) and it was awful unless you were connecting them on the same circuit! The adapters were rated for 100 but I barely got 30. It's ok for a temporary fix, but in the end I just sucked it up and installed proper cable in my walls. Now I can get 10Gbit to every room.
--
Fiber Optics are the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR »Fiber Optic Forum.

Dunlop

Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
like BliZZardX said, YMMV depending on the wiring in the home. My house is 35 years old and it works fine.

I could not tell you what speeds I am getting, but like I said I get full HD on my bell FibeTV STB without any issue whatsoever which was all I really wanted it for

DS256
Premium
join:2003-10-25
Markham, ON
reply to elitefx
I use these between the cottage and boat house over an extension chord and it works well. Also have Rogers Rocket Hub at home and have to place it in an upstairs bedroom window to get a decent signal and use a Power LAN to carry Ethernet to by basement office (behind the furnace and duct work so Wi-Fi is weak). Picked both sets up at Tiger Direct on sale.

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to elitefx
I have the NetGear Powerline AV 200 Wireless-N extender kit (model XANV2001) connected between my basement telecoms closet and the second floor master bedroom. Works really well to extend my LAN to a Western Digital Live that feeds the TV from a media server. Surprisingly pleased.

It can saturate a full 100M ethernet. Need something more beefy for streaming BluRay. I've noticed that it adds a bit of delay when TCP establishes a session. Not a problem for streaming media but I disabled the Wireless-N from the extender to laptop and tablets because the delay was noticeable when browsing.

Would like to get my hands on one of the TP-Link units to evaluate.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
kudos:3
reply to elitefx
I also used a Netgear Powerline adapter.
It worked great, but then shortly after installing it, found out it was causing some major interference with my wireless system.
It took me several days to determine what was wrong. After I removed it from my system my wireless returned to normal.
--
Getting it Done.