All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
MrMazda86 (banned)
join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned) to mactalla

to mactalla

Re: [DSL] Dry loop installation: demarc box not connected?

Yes... This is correct... If you accidentally cross the polarities, it will *NOT* damage any equipment or cause any effects that cannot be corrected easily. In particular, see the reference to the colour codes that I've shown in the little diagrams.

It's actually quite simple when it comes down to it. Electrically speaking, crossing the polarity isn't the end of the world. Also, if you're worried about getting "zapped" by the lines when you're working on them from inside the house, there's a little cheater tool that works on any Bell line from any area code. The two key numbers are:

519-958-2580 -- Telephone # Check
519-958-1166 -- Voltage Drop

These are numbers that Bell does NOT want their customers to have. You can substitute the area code within Ontario or Québec other than 807, 226, 647, 289, and the "new" area codes for larger metropolitan areas like Montréal. That being said though, you can still use the original code, so if for example the phone number assigned to the dry "Dry Gas" line is a 647 area code, you can use 416 instead.

In particular the Voltage Drop number is the key because this will cut the electrical voltage on the line for 3 or 5 minutes, which gives you as the "tech" the time to run certain line tests, or otherwise make some wiring changes easier.
toothpicvic
join:2012-07-19
Toronto, ON

toothpicvic

Thanks for this info, MrMazda. Helpful stuff, and I'm sure that that someone will be able to use it.

Since I'm really not suited to be climbing 20 feet to get to the house's exterior phone box and connect it to the demarc box, and my friend doesn't want to pay an electrician (on general principle)to do part of the installation that should have been done in the first, she's most likely just going to cancel the DSL line with TS.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

said by toothpicvic:

Since I'm really not suited to be climbing 20 feet to get to the house's exterior phone box and connect it to the demarc box, and my friend doesn't want to pay an electrician (on general principle)to do part of the installation that should have been done in the first, she's most likely just going to cancel the DSL line with TS.

Well, if there's already an exterior "phone box" with access to the inside wiring, then this is, like, a 20-minute job to complete the connections. Shame to give up on it when it's all so close to completion.
toothpicvic
join:2012-07-19
Toronto, ON

toothpicvic

edit: in response to mlord:

I completely agree, but I also understand the want to not have to deal with a situation that is actually making it more difficult to essentially start paying monthly fees. If it's this hard to start out and everything is so awkward, who would want to continue with it?

As dumb city folk, we just don't have access to 20ft ladders, I'm not even sure if the landlor does either.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Drop a wire out a window down to the demarc and hook it up, or drill through the window frame and push the wire out that way (that's what a lot of Bell installers do).
MrMazda86 (banned)
join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned) to toothpicvic

to toothpicvic
said by toothpicvic:

Thanks for this info, MrMazda. Helpful stuff, and I'm sure that that someone will be able to use it.

It would be sad really to see a TekSavvy customer go because Bell screwed up. Don't get me wrong though... I completely understand not wanting to endure a frustrating experience. Maybe someone at TSI could help change your mind in some way?