join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

Uptick in SPAM emails

Click for full size
Spam Blocker settings
From the FWIW department...

Over the past week or so I have noticed an uptick in SPAM emails arriving in my Outlook 2010 Junk mail folder. They are coming in blocks of five or six at a time very early in the morning, no other times. Weird to say the least. I do have the spam blocker settings to delete spam and report the messages as SPAM in the webmail interface but they are still getting through. Its strange because I have not received any spam of any kind for a very very long time, ie. probably a year or so, then all of a sudden its starting again...
bchandler02
join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

I don't think it is you or Cox. I've been getting a ton lately as well on my email account. My account is hosted by Grande Communications, so it isn't a free spam repository from gmail/yahoo/etc. Typically I get very little on this account.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357 to SoonerAl

Premium Member

to SoonerAl
Have you used the email address to register for anything online recently? And the stuff being marked by spam, is it new email your getting? Or is it just newly being marked as spam? If you have it set to delete spam, anything you seeing in your Outlook folder is stuff you Outlook filter is catching.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to SoonerAl

to SoonerAl
I have just started getting the same amount you say you get. It started after I gave my cox e-mail address to a Cox phone rep a few days ago.

SoonerAl
MVM
Norman, OK

1 edit

SoonerAl to Optimus2357

MVM

to Optimus2357
Click for full size
Spam email properties
No, we are very very careful to who gets our real Cox email address versus using a Gmail or Outlook.com address when I order online.

FWIW the screen shot show the properties of one of the emails. All are reported as spam to Cox via the webmail interface. I presume the headers may provide a clue for Cox to be able to catch and filter these over time. The bottom line is Outlook is doing its job, ie. sending these to the Junk folder, but the Cox spam filter is not, ie. its letting these through to my inbox on the Cox server.

Right now its more of an irritant simply because we have gone a long long time without any spam.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to SoonerAl

Premium Member

to SoonerAl
I had it happen last night, a block of 5 in a row.

SoonerAl
MVM
Norman, OK

1 edit

SoonerAl

MVM

Click for full size
Making progress...only two last night...
nickphx
join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

nickphx

might want to edit that image again, you missed a spot.

SoonerAl
MVM
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

said by nickphx:

might want to edit that image again, you missed a spot.

Thanks...

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to SoonerAl

to SoonerAl
Yes. It's as if someone turned off the spam filter a few days ago. Some is coming in flagged as spam (Cox incorrectly flags so many I can't risk deleting them any more). Most is not flagged at all but a four year-old would identify it as spam immediately.

It's targeted, too. "Dear Cox customer" etc.

No, I haven't signed up for anything new lately or used that email in any new context.