Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yahtzee
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Richmond, VA
reply to lutful

Re: What to check for a tiny leak in a 18month old washer?

I guess I am confused with the water test....the inside back of the enclosure is wet with droplets...not just one area....Based on what I see the only thing colored water would do is to give better visibility on the water that I already know exists...
--
If ever offered a breath mint - take it.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

said by yahtzee:

only thing colored water would do is to give better visibility on the water that I already know exists...

If the water droplets are still clear, you know some valve/fitting/hose that distribute incoming clear water to the detergent basket or top of washer drum is leaking.

If the water droplets are colored, some valve/fitting/hose on the water exit path near the bottom is leaking. It is also possible that some colored water is spraying out from top of drum during rapid spinning.

yahtzee
Premium
Richmond, VA

Thanks. Seems odd that water would get thrown around the outer part of the tub as it's totally exposed through the enclosure to the ground. I'll give this a shot. Thanks.
--

yahtzee
Premium
Richmond, VA
reply to lutful

So check this out.....attempting the food color test and before I can even get the tub filled up I notice something...When the water is coming into the basket it looks like it's hitting the spinning top part...water is definitely going behind it...question is, is there an enclosed section around the basket that the extra runoff water goes to?

»www.darylwatkins.com/washer.MOV

Last question, when putting the food coloring in do I put it in the fill, wash, rinse or spin? It's a HE washer so the tub never actually fills and surrounds the clothes.
--

HPC

@comcast.net

said by yahtzee:

When the water is coming into the basket it looks like it's hitting the spinning top part...water is definitely going behind it...question is, is there an enclosed section around the basket that the extra runoff water goes to?

Don't have your exact model but did have the same problem. Turned out to be a leak where the hot and cold inlet hoses meet at the mixing valve (just before the chute that fills the tub)... the hot was dripping on the top edge of the tub and when the tub would spin, would throw water against the inside of the enclosure and drip onto the floor. Discovered when I noticed 'cold water washes' had no leak, while 'hot water washes' had a small puddle under the washer. Just food for thought.