share rss forum feed

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to jaberi

Re: Court tells employers to accommodate child-care requests

I actually find it interesting that they say that smaller companies will have a harder time accommodating requests.

My office is 5 full time employees (including myself). 2 partners, 1 office manager/secretary, 1 jr accountant, 1 sr accountant. And during Jan-April we have 1 intern.

Despite being a small company, they were more than willing & able to accommodate any issues I have with childcare. They know I'll get the work done, despite needing to leave early, or not being able to stay late during tax season.

I would have figured that the larger the company, the more faceless the people are, so they're less likely to give a damn about personal circumstances.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
I would think that companies with an aggressive union would find this more difficult than those with none or with a more flexible one. While unions are focused on the needs of employees, it tends to be more on the collective needs at the expense of individual needs.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
Having worked in both unionized and non-union environments, I found them pretty much the same. It usually depends on each companies motto about employee's and corporate responsibility. At least from my experience. I had a 9-5 boss, who was responsible for all shift workers, total meathead, didn't want to give a inch, had no clue about anything other than the 9-5 operations, but, an HR director who was all about employees, work life balance, and healthy work places, and would frequently tell this director to go fly a kite.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to resa1983
said by resa1983:

I actually find it interesting that they say that smaller companies will have a harder time accommodating requests.

My office is 5 full time employees (including myself). 2 partners, 1 office manager/secretary, 1 jr accountant, 1 sr accountant. And during Jan-April we have 1 intern.

Despite being a small company, they were more than willing & able to accommodate any issues I have with childcare. They know I'll get the work done, despite needing to leave early, or not being able to stay late during tax season.

I would have figured that the larger the company, the more faceless the people are, so they're less likely to give a damn about personal circumstances.

...I believe they are referring to a "Duty to accomodate" reference as part of Human rights.

Big companies can shell out big bucks (especially government agencies)...I can only imagine what will happen at my work...oy vey I can see it now...

Although I feel like its discrimination because I don't have custody of my child does that mean that I have to go through the rigors of shiftwork that truly sucks?

I don't know...anywho...interesting to see how this plays out.

Viper359
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to resa1983
I think that comment is geared more towards small shiftwork companies. 24/7 operations. Plumbers, electricians, elevator mechanics, convenience stores, gas stations etc.

Even then, I am not sure this will have any wide reaching implications, as this could be total bull, and just perceived, rather than truth, but from all my years, in several industries, I have found shift workers for a large part, are still male dominated. Of course, there are females, but, if I made a guess, I would say 90% male, 10% female, with exceptions of course, like nurses, police dispatchers etc.

The reason I say this might not have any major implication is because, from my experience, with shiftwork still being male dominated, its more of a suck it up and deal with it mentality.

dragonfly5

join:2012-09-04
said by Viper359:

The reason I say this might not have any major implication is because, from my experience, with shiftwork still being male dominated, its more of a suck it up and deal with it mentality.

Watch that start to change, and it should.

Viper359
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
I hope you are right! I still work with guys who will come to work with a full blown case of the flu, and they think its fine because they have to be at work, because that's just the way it is, their daddy did it, and they have to as well. Drives me nuts.

Its lost on them that they are not as productive, and sometimes, others have to help pick up their slack, and, they make the rest of us sick, slowing us down, or worse, causing many to call in sick. If they just stayed home!

Like I said, suck it up. URG

noemails

@bell.ca
pay them sick days then. if it costs me 20 percent of my take home to stay at home.....im going to work with the sniffles if you get a cold or the rest of the office does maybe it makes sense for the company to look at paid sick leave

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to Viper359
said by Viper359:

I think that comment is geared more towards small shiftwork companies. 24/7 operations. Plumbers, electricians, elevator mechanics, convenience stores, gas stations etc.

Agreed as when you run production x number of hours a week with a small group of employees it can truly suck when someone doesn't come in (or can't stay a full shift).