spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Criticals

join:2010-05-30

World of Warcraft down to 9.6 million subs.

WoW Down to 9.6 Million Subscribers
Activision Blizzard's press release states that World of Warcraft is down to 9.6 million subscribers as of December 31, 2012. This is lower than the amount of subscribers from the "over 10 million" announced for Q3 2012. A few other interesting points:

•Mists of Pandaria was the #3 best-selling PC game at retail.
•Diablo III was the #1 best-selling PC game at retail, breaking PC-game sales records with more than 12 million copies sold worldwide through December 31, 2012.

Rhenai

join:2010-09-07
Elkhorn, NE
kudos:1

1 recommendation

These threads keep popping up like pimples on that poor nerd's face - Wow's sub base is down, Wow is dead, the sky is falling, blah blah. Must resist the urge to pop them, will leave damaging scars.

Better yet, find something new to post.
--
“Amor Fati – “Love Your Fate”, which is in fact your life.”

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI
reply to Criticals

u mad bro?

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to Criticals

9 Million is still alot. Lets say 50% are bots or stale accounts or Chinese farmers. That's still close to 5 million playing.

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT

More importantly:

9,600,000 x ~13= 124,800,000 a month.

Pollux7777

join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

Well, it's technically probably not even close to that number saviouss since a lot of those subs are in China and they have a much cheaper monthly fee.

But still, no one can argue that Blizz isn't still making an obscene amount of money off this game.
--
Polluxx - LvL 90 Human Warrior - (US) Ravencrest

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX

said by Pollux7777:

obscene amount of money off this game.

Understatement of the year.

Criticals

reply to primeomega

said by primeomega:

u mad bro?

Whoa man. Dont shoot the messenger. Just posting the newest info.

PC Doc 54
aka fcapes
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Middle Island, NY
reply to Criticals

said by Criticals:

Diablo III was the #1 best-selling PC game at retail, breaking PC-game sales records with more than 12 million copies sold worldwide through December 31, 2012.

I wonder how much of that was due to the fact that they gave it away with the year sub to WoW. I was one, I know at least 5 others who also got it the same way, and none of us play it now.

I bet if you compare active subscribers/players, WoW would still be # 1.
--
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to primeomega

said by primeomega:

u mad bro?

RAWR BLIZZ MAKES TOO MUCH MONEY OFF OUR SUBS.....i'm sorry blizzard, i'll go back to playing the game now. please don't kill me /cower /cryinacorner

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Criticals

"only"

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
reply to Criticals

Where Bliz made their real money was that scam called D3.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

said by kingdome74:

Where Bliz made their real money was that scam called D3.

LOL.

PC Doc 54
aka fcapes
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Middle Island, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Rhenai

Today's Blink
said by Rhenai:

These threads keep popping up like pimples on that poor nerd's face - Wow's sub base is down, Wow is dead, the sky is falling, blah blah. Must resist the urge to pop them, will leave damaging scars.

Agree with Rhenai ... and Blink's timing is perfect.
--
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul

Criticals

Where did anyone say this was a "ZOMG WoW is dying" thread. This is simply stating the status of WoW. Activision Blizzard releases these numbers to the public. Why does everyone feel the need to defend WoWs dwindling numbers? Its not dying. Its losing subscribers yes but it still has like 8 times the second most popular MMO.

I dont know if people saying "wow is dying" is more annoying or the fact that everyone rushes in to defend WoW as if pointing out the current subscriber base numbers (which is fact btw) is calling the game dying. Its almost as if WoW is a girl getting fat and when she steps on the scale she gets pissed that the scale is telling her current weight. The truth is the truth. Its only dying if you think it is and to me it is thriving. The subs leaving are just excess fat being burned off.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

In Korea don't you get SC2 for free if you continue your sub of WoW? I bet that adds to the numbers as well.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Criticals

it isn't really a defense of wow to say we're tired of the "state of WoW" threads. Rough estimates of a total number of subs are meaningless to the player base. No really... meaningless. Server mergers, patch notes, changes in sub price... those would be meaningful. Unless Activision makes a specific announcement about WoW that directly affects player subscription or access to the game servers... we don't care. I'm sure there is an investor forum somewhere on the web where you can explore speculative venture capitalism... but this isn't the right target audience here.

Oh, and just to let you all know... we are all individually and collectively one day closer to dying... just saying... the current decline in health will continue until your body eventually stops working. Unless some unforeseen event makes that happen sooner. I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad or anything... I mean... since you all play video games we can safely assume the day of your unavoidable, impending doom is at least far enough away to see the end of WoW.
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state

1 edit
reply to PC Doc 54

I wonder how much of that was due to the fact that they gave it away with the year sub to WoW. I was one, I know at least 5 others who also got it the same way, and none of us play it now.

Yeah I was going to bring this up also. This is how I ended up with D3. If if were not a "free bonus" for signing up, I'd never have "bought" it whereas I still would have bought MoP. Played D3 for about a week and went back to WoW.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Criticals

Click for full size
Some food for thought
Click for full size
also, tl;dr
who gives a shit?

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

not sure what youre trying to suggest with these graphs.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor

That there are more WoW subscriptions than people living in all those countries listed on the graphs.

said by Savious:

More importantly:

9,600,000 x ~13= 124,800,000 a month.

That's Walter White-type money, dude.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

That ought to be start be starting again in a few months.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor

I'm thinking July.

I watched the first 4 seasons on netflix over the past 10 or so days. WTF was I thinking not watching religiously every Sunday...Not sure how I'm going to watch the first half of season 5 in Okinawa since netflix is unavailable without a proxy server.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to Criticals

What will all those programmers do now that they don't have all the trucks full of hookers and blow coming in and not having to stare at the same piece of code for the last ten years, realizing that they now have to do actual work for a change?
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT
reply to Immer

said by Immer:

it isn't really a defense of wow to say we're tired of the "state of WoW" threads. Rough estimates of a total number of subs are meaningless to the player base

I feel that if someone (apparently at least Rhenai See Profile) doesn't like the "state of WoW" threads they shouldn't read them or comment on them. Why post in a thread just to say that you don't like the thread?

I for one appreciate op taking the time. I am part of the player base and I enjoy following the numbers.

And I'm happy to hear that the player base is dwindling. Perhaps the date for Scroll of Resurrection will be updated and I can get not one but four characters jumped up to level 80; one for each of my accounts. I'm keeping them all closed for the time being to see what happens in the next few months.

In the meantime I've found a renewed interest in Diablo III and StarCraft II. I'm looking forward to the upcoming expansion of the latter.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA
reply to cymraeg

There are more people playing WoW than the population of some countries..still

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

ah ok, i didnt make the correlation , carry on my friend.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Gork

said by Gork:

I am part of the player base and I enjoy following the numbers.

That's a fair point. Individuals can always ascribe their own meaning to the numbers.
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

1 edit
reply to Gork

said by Gork:

I feel that if someone (apparently at least Rhenai See Profile) doesn't like the "state of WoW" threads they shouldn't read them or comment on them. Why post in a thread just to say that you don't like the thread?

Gork, in Rhenai's defense it's not necessarily the content of thread itself, but the sheer frequency of identical posts.

I like examples, I feel like some readers need examples to understand the post.

- "What's PvE Hit Cap?" This thread is totally fine the first few times you see it. No one minds answering, it's a perfectly legitimate question, but after the 8th or 9th time it gets tiring and begins to look like laziness rather then ignorance.

Similarly these "WoW killer" threads have recently just been trolls (literally "Thang" started just trying to get a reaction out of people). Nothing is ever close to "killing" WoW and the thread gets forgotten about until the next Mongo comes along (reference probably not understood by you).

Viewers are quick to say "Subscriptions are down, WoW is dying". US economy is down, USA is dying.

Criticals

said by Snuffbox:

said by Gork:

Gork, in Rhenai's defense it's not necessarily the content of thread itself, but the sheer frequency of identical posts.

This is a copy of the data released by blizzard. Its factual evidence released by the company that makes WoW. Truth. No one mentioned "WoW Dying" until the WoW Fans chimed in to defend it. As for the frequency this is the only thread on the forum reporting the current numbers because the numbers. People that are responding negatively to this thread would be the same as people responding negative to a census. This is the same thing.