Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

[JB] What reason do we have to now?

Yo, s'up peep, I have an iPhone 4 (we'll get to that another day) as well as an iPad Mini. If I were to jailbreak, what exactly would I get out of it?

I did jailbreak another device, my old iPad (1st) which my daughter now has, but just wondering, what is it in it for me now?

I'll JB the iPhone in a heartbeat if it stops the endless crashes...but more curious to what advantages for the iPad Mini.

Thx, y'all.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
What are "endless crashes" exactly? App crashes? iPhone reboots?
Expand your moderator at work

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to J E F F

Re: [JB] What reason do we have to now?

I have one or two business reasons to keep my devices JB. If you don't know why you need it, then you probably don't.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to darcilicious
The phone app crashes constantly. So if some calls me, they just get dead air, I have to touch and hold phone app and close it. Other apps open then turn off right away, though they're still present when you double click home button. It's been to the third party tech support, they claim nothing wrong with phone.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to J E F F
It should not be doing that, but the service provider is only going to check for hardware failures. I would restore the phone to factory to see if the issue persists. If it works you can either just set it up again or try restoring from backup. If you restore from backup you may bring the problem back though.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
They already wiped entire device and set as new iPhone. I'm at a loss why problems persist. Right now all calls are forwarded to my BlackBerry on a different carrier. It will be my last iPhone and last time with that carrier, been with them for 18 years, when they were Cantel AT&T. Since it is under their warranty, they should replace the device.
--

kitsune

Sacramento, CA
reply to J E F F
If they wiped the device and didn't put anything back on but the issue persists it is definitely a hardware issue and if still under warranty should be replaced.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to J E F F
I agree with Kitsune,...

I have an iPhone 4 as well and I don't have any of the problems you outlined. I'm on H2O Wireless but that's an AT&T MVNO.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to kitsune
said by kitsune:

If they wiped the device and didn't put anything back on but the issue persists it is definitely a hardware issue and if still under warranty should be replaced.

i think the problem persists when he puts apps back on.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by kitsune:

i think the problem persists when he puts apps back on.

That's what happen. Although the phone app itself was still buggy with nothing installed. According to their tech, if they can't see the issue, it's not there.

Not sure how I can convince replacement, they're supposed to cover $500....
--

kitsune

Sacramento, CA
reply to J E F F
you will need to demonstrate the issue to them without anything extra installed.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by kitsune:

you will need to demonstrate the issue to them without anything extra installed.

Well, since the phone app is spotty, sometimes it goes several calls between crashes.

Though kinda silly if I can't install any apps on the device to show them that it crashes.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to J E F F
My wife's sister took her phone when we went rafting. It ended up over the side at the bottom of the river. She had a new phone in a matter of days,......

I'm just saying,........

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

said by kitsune:

Well, since the phone app is spotty, sometimes it goes several calls between crashes.

Though kinda silly if I can't install any apps on the device to show them that it crashes.

Are you dealing with a carrier or directly with Apple??

I would be very surprised if Apple didnt give you a new phone especially after explaining the steps you have taken - I am sure they dont like carriers makeing them look bad.....
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to Octavean
I thought about smashing it. I think replacement is $160....

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to dellsweig
I'm dealing with the carrier...more accurately, one of their authorized dealers. My mistake was believing them when they said that their warranty would be better than AppleCare. IIRC, AppleCare does charge for some warranty stuff ($49 service fee)...which was their selling point. As I said before, live and learn.

This reminds me of the time when I had a car problem, front end noise, and the dealer kept lubing it. After warranty was up, I took it elsewhere, and the control arm bushings were complete toast, and had been for some time. $300 to repair, not much, but you think the dealership could have got it right the first time, rather than a band-aid solution.

At any rate, I'll likely call their corporate office to see if I can get any action..or just head to the Apple Store and see if they pity me a little bit.
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
It might be different in Canada but there isn't any such service fee with Apple while the product is under warranty.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by darcilicious:

It might be different in Canada but there isn't any such service fee with Apple while the product is under warranty.

From this site:
»store.apple.com/us/browse/home/applecare

Maybe it refers to accidental damage only...
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
That's if they "repair" it. Usually, they just give you a new one or a refurb. That's how it was for me at any rate when my iPhone 3G's wifi went kaput about 4 days before the 1-year warranty was up.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

kitsune

Sacramento, CA
reply to J E F F
If it is under warranty (or applecare) and it is a mfr defect there is no charge for repair in US or Canada. If you do it through the mail with express service they will take your cc to make sure they get the old one back. If you have Applecare + and you damage your phone you can get it replaced twice at $49 each.