Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to the65gto

Premium Member

to the65gto

Re: [Internet] More Modem Shenanigans

said by the65gto:

I did a little "unscientific" experiment with my router (antenna plugs in the back). I removed the factory antenna and changed it to a 10ft cable/antenna assembly mounted high. I noticed no difference between the two. I bought a new router, mounted it near the ceiling, no external antenna and have "excellent" strength through out the house. My "stuff" is in the laundry room. )

Were you sentenced to the laundry room entirely by the wife or just your router...do we need to come rescue you?

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

I'm using the extended antennas and (what I am assuming) 5/8 wave antennas (5db gain). I lose a little power, but gain it in signal. When I put the stock antennas on the base, I lose signal to the back of the house.

I am looking at getting the Asus RT-N66 (we never did find out if its the "R" or "N" we're after), and will probably at that time redo my network entirely.

Right now, I have a feed that goes to my AP, which does my wireless (G) and two hardwired ports. One hardwired goes to a hub, which splits the signal to two devices... A PC and a xBox 360. The other hardwired goes to my printer, which I don't use right now because I would have to reconfigure it for the new IP range.

My main PC is plugged into one of the modem's other ports.

So.. I wonder if that's why my Linksys w/ DD-WRT has an adjustable CPU speed.... to tweak more bandwidth out of it...
the65gto
join:2000-08-31
Apopka, FL

the65gto to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
LOL....When the house was built, we had a "communications" cabinet installed in one of the walls. All the home runs are there for lan, phone, Tv feeds etc. IF (when) the wife moves things around, I can go to the patch panel and change the lan/phone jumper to the other side of the wall, change the coax to the active plug. So the main BH cable enters there, the normal tap for modem and the other for tv. Its a metal cabinet, so antennas had to be mounted external or the router external.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by the65gto:

LOL....When the house was built, we had a "communications" cabinet installed in one of the walls. All the home runs are there for lan, phone, Tv feeds etc. IF (when) the wife moves things around, I can go to the patch panel and change the lan/phone jumper to the other side of the wall, change the coax to the active plug. So the main BH cable enters there, the normal tap for modem and the other for tv. Its a metal cabinet, so antennas had to be mounted external or the router external.

Okay just checking....man must have his toys and the laundry room just doesn't cut it....so I'm there for ya I know you have all this money invested already but you might want to consider a high power AP from Engenius Technologies...such as »www.amazon.com/EnGenius- ··· genius+n

They kick some serious butt and as long as you can configure it yourself without calling support you will be fine and while helpful...there is a language barrier that can drive some nuts. Otherwise they make some seriously powerful AP's and at a reasonable price. I've used them in a number of installations where nothing else worked.