robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to lutful

Mod

to lutful

Re: Can't locate main water shut-off valve

You did verify the direction of flow through that meter I assume. If so where is your cutoff? Also, I see a ground wire connected below the blue handled cutoff. I believe that should be jumpered to the other side of the meter. Not sure of code there, but I believe it is normal to jumper the ground to both sides of the meter.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

Click for full size
said by robbin:

You did verify the direction of flow through that meter I assume. If so where is your cutoff? Also, I see a ground wire connected below the blue handled cutoff. I believe that should be jumpered to the other side of the meter. Not sure of code there, but I believe it is normal to jumper the ground to both sides of the meter.

No. He is 100% code for Ontario. Above is my own shut off valve (red handle). The panel ground is the bare copper below the valve. The other ground connection is from the old fuse box, now replaced with breakers (fuses are no longer allowed in Ontario and you must replace an old panel with breakers when you sell a house). The meter is an outside read type, converted from an old mechanical type.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

said by DKS:

(fuses are no longer allowed in Ontario and you must replace an old panel with breakers when you sell a house).

Where do you get that from? I know of multiple resales that have retained fusepanels.

I know that many with knob and tube are 'forced' by insurance companies to upgrade, but I have never heard of this with fuses.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Cho Baka:

said by DKS:

(fuses are no longer allowed in Ontario and you must replace an old panel with breakers when you sell a house).

Where do you get that from? I know of multiple resales that have retained fusepanels.

I know that many with knob and tube are 'forced' by insurance companies to upgrade, but I have never heard of this with fuses.

No house in the last decade or so in this area with fuses can be sold. I hear about it a lot when seniors go to move into a retirement home and have to spend a lot of money to upgrade their panel. It is an insurance question, like knob and tube. You may sell your house, even privately, but insurers won't insure you on a new policy. Same with oil tanks (must be double walled) and even wood stoves (refuse to insure).
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

You did verify the direction of flow through that meter I assume. If so where is your cutoff?

I only verified that the blue handle actually turns off the cold water. I could not find another valve like that on other side of the meter but it could be hidden behind the panels somewhere else in the basement.
said by robbin:

Also, I see a ground wire connected below the blue handled cutoff. I believe that should be jumpered to the other side of the meter. Not sure of code there, but I believe it is normal to jumper the ground to both sides of the meter.

Yes. I plan to "improve" that ground connection and also add a copper strap between the two sides of meter.