share rss forum feed

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

Toilet Replacement (Dual Flush questions/coments)

Ok have another toilet that needs replaced. I replaced one with a Champion 4 max and it is a nice toilet. As far as toilets go.

Anyway for me second one I am thinking of cadet 3 dual flush.

Are the dual flushes worth it as far as water savings.

How much more work is it to replace the flush parts of toilet. I assume they use standard fill valves.

Anyone have any general comments and/or complaints about them?

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
No personal experience with any dual flush design but I will be moving into a house on a well/septic system soon. I think they're worthwhile in most cases, water rates or the non-financial need to conserve being the enablers. I'd like to keep the burden on my leach field as small as possible so, even if it doesn't add to my pumping costs, a dual flush (as an altertnative to "If it's yellow let it mellow...") may be worth it to me.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
reply to dcurrey
Very happy with my cadet III. I have two. Looks pretty standard inside.
Rarely do I need to do more than the simple flush.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to dcurrey
I went for a Toto Drake 2, which uses a conventional flush lever and is water sense certified.

I'm not fond of the dual flush toilets.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Tig

Carrying Place, ON

1 edit
I actually didn't realize the Cadet 3 was "dual flush". It operates like a regular toilet.
It's the Cadet 3 Flowise Model: 3378513.020 4.8L per flush

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
I believe it is a possibility on a model as my Cadet 3 does not have dual flush but I believe it can be ordered that way.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to dcurrey
I have no experience with the Cadet 3, but I did replace both of our toilets with dual flush "ProFlo". Not sure if that is the manufacturer or model, it is one the city was subsidizing as a way to conserve water. (free toilets, rings, etc)

I have found the "liquid" / "light" flush to be completely useless. It doesn't clear the bowl enough to remove the yellow water, so everyone just ends up using the full flush every time. I knew in advance most people had the same problem with this model, but I needed to replace the existing toilets anyway, and I couldn't justify buying something when these were free. I would absolutely not recommend them as a purchase.

I have seen other dual flush models that work as advertised, so if you are going out of pocket either way, I suggest finding some reviews for whatever you are considering.

dcurrey
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
reply to dcurrey
The cadet 3 comes in dual and standard.

That is one of my concerns am I going to be using the 1.6 gallon anyway case the 1 gallon just doesn't cut it.

Was kind of worried when I installed the champion 4. Didn't look like it would flush anything down from the amount of water that it was moving. Guess I am used to the 3+ gallon types. Happy to say after 6 months not even close to clogging the thing up.

Guess I should just stick with standard flush.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
Yea the champion 4 seems like it just sucks the stuff out without filling with water. It is the best toilet I have ever owned.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

1 recommendation

reply to dcurrey
I have an American Standard dual flush. The #1 button does the job 99% of the time even for #2.

Replacing the flush parts is super easy. The whole dual flush mechanism is a big cartridge that you can remove with a quarter turn and no tools. The trick will be hoping that Fluidmaster continues to make this part when the thing wears out.

»i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/S···h008.jpg

A hotel I stayed at recently had a Caroma dual flush. These toilets don't work nearly as well. Lots of times I'd have to re-do the #1 button because there was some yellow left behind. :P

--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to dcurrey
said by dcurrey:

Was kind of worried when I installed the champion 4. Didn't look like it would flush anything down from the amount of water that it was moving. Guess I am used to the 3+ gallon types. Happy to say after 6 months not even close to clogging the thing up.

Guess I should just stick with standard flush.

I've long been an advocate for the Champion 4 here ... Now you know why. It's a majestic thing, a true throne, a serious performer.

First thing I did when I bought this house was replace the 2 toilets upstairs with Champions ... Only reason I haven't done the basement bathroom yet is because I plan to renovate it first.

Tig

Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
Only those who have suffered through a poor performing toilet can appreciate how wonderful a good one is. I'm guessing that Dennis is among these people.
My father was an advocate of the Cadet, I never really gave it much thought. When I built my first house, I put in cadet 2s on his advice and they worked as expected. It didn't seem like a big deal. Then I bought a vacation place and added a bathroom. I grabbed a cheap "low flush" toilet but it never worked right. Plumbing was new, no code or vent issues. I could watch the flush though the upstream clean out. I refereed to it as the low chance of flushing anything toilet. It used a lot of water and required people be instructed on it's operation. It has been recently discontinued and I look forward to smashing it. I now sing the praises of my cadet 3's.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Tig:

Only those who have suffered through a poor performing toilet can appreciate how wonderful a good one is.

I'll second this.
--

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Cho Baka:

said by Tig:

Only those who have suffered through a poor performing toilet can appreciate how wonderful a good one is.

I'll second this.

Most definitely!! This house had low-flow toilets from the early '90s ... They were AWFUL. I mean, dreadful. The Champion wasn't even a slight hesitation - when my wife says 'go pick up two Champions and put them in. Now.' I know it's serious!

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to dcurrey
The dual flush is only worthwhile if you are on city (metered) water. We have high water rates so we try to conserve. The landlord pays the water (state code mandate) but we try to conserve as high water bills mean higher rents.

The neighbors in the other unit had a kiddie pool (without LL permission), and they added $300 to the water bill. I have a portable dishwasher so the amount of water used to do dishes is fixed. We take showers instead of baths and my washer is a high efficiency.

If I had to replace a toilet, I would probably put in a dual flush to keep the LL's water costs down to prevent rent increases. We get a discount on rent to do basic maintenance (like clearing the snow and ice, mowing the lawn, and light repair work).

I would also install an ADA chair height toilet for when grandma comes over because she has a hip replacement.

--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

dcurrey
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

1 edit
reply to dcurrey
Just as an update I went ahead and purchased the American Standard Cadet 3 dual flush right height elongated.

Install was much easier than the Champion 4 for following reasons.
1. Cadet 3 is lighter and little smaller.
2. Do to bathroom design had much larger area to work when installing the cadet 3.
3. I just used socket set to tighten instead of those cheap plastic things that act like wrench.
4. Since this was was second complete install had better idea of what I was doing, even remembered to pick up longer supply line.
Time will only tell how the dual flush works. So far no problems but its only been in place for a day.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to dcurrey
I'm not sure if this is considered "dual" flush, but the Kohler brand toilets we have (not exactly sure which model) do a small flush if you push the handle and immediately release. For a longer flush hold down the handle as long as necessary to get rid of your "business". I find the system works great and have never had them plug up.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Camelot One
Hey Camelot;

If you're finding the small flush isn't evacuating urine, you may need to adjust the flush… it's really easy to do, just twist the knobs under the lid… it's in the manual.

As others have mentioned, my Cadet3 can flush away poop on the small flush. The Cadet line is rated a MAP1000; one of the strongest flushes on the market! It can flush one dozen golf balls on the large flush setting!
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
said by The E:

It can flush one dozen golf balls on the large flush setting!

Never understood why anyone who stores golf balls in their rectum would want to flush them. It seems to me that most would want to clean them up for another insertion.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
AHAHAHAH!!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy
I have used those higher up toilets(I think that is the ADA ones that sit higher than a normal throne to make it less effort to stand fully up again.), And even as someone with no medical issues I like them more. Precisely because it is like sitting on a chair.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports
Expand your moderator at work

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Re: Toilet Replacement (Dual Flush questions/coments)

If you read this thread you will find that the favorites are Cadet 3 and Champion 4 (both made by American Standard).

I'm pretty sure mine are Champion as well but are much older models that do look different from the products sold now.

I did buy a retrofit kit for dual-flush conversion but haven't installed it yet.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

dcurrey
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
reply to dcurrey
I have seen those retrofit at Costco something like $15 not sure.

My cadet 3 dual flush was $199 at Lowes. Comfort height
elongated bowl. So far no issues with it nor my Champion Max 4 $209.

My water is billed bimonthly so I can't tell if it is really saving me on water usage yet. Only clue is my water softer average daily use has dropped to around 85 gallons from 110. But that was with the valve in old toilet having a slow leak.

Just need to shave off a couple hundred gallons to get below the 6000 minimum bill.

ncbill
Premium
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

1 edit
reply to dcurrey
Why bother with a non-standard design when you can buy any Toto "Eco" model with only 1.25gpf?

As another poster notes, who knows if someone will still make the dual flush mechanism for your particular toilet a decade from now?

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to dcurrey
Dual/low flush is useless if you need to flush twice. ALL "economical" toilets I have seen require 2+ flushes to clean the bowl. A condom filled with paste and screws isn't the same as a sticky poop...
I have found ADA-compliant toilets to be uncomfortably high and I'm not exactly short...
I have ordered a standard flush (1.6gal) elongated Cadet 3 in "normal" height (15"), it's waiting for me at HD to pick it up... I'll report the experience in few days...

dcurrey
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
reply to ncbill
said by ncbill:

Why bother with a non-standard design when you can buy any Toto "Eco" model with only 1.25gpf?

As another poster notes, who knows id someone will still make the dual flush mechanism for your particular toilet a decade from now?

I was worried a low flush of 1.25gpf or so won't cut it. Been in many hotels that have these low flush and they are crap. As far as replacement goes if they do stop making the parts a top only replacement should work.

So far I have had not ran into instance of flushing twice.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by dcurrey:

I was worried a low flush of 1.25gpf or so won't cut it.

Mine
»Re: How to determine GPF of existing toilet?
hasn't met a turd it couldn't handle yet.

Even my 11 year old daughter hasn't been able to plug it yet.
--