share rss forum feed

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

1 edit

Microsoft Security Essentials flunks independent test

It’s hard for a security program to be considered essential when it can’t win independent antivirus certifications. The Verge reports that Microsoft’s (MSFT) Security Essentials anti-virus software has failed the latest certification test from the AV-TEST institute

»news.yahoo.com/microsoft-securit···-flunks-
independent-anti-virus-certification-230010197.html

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

1 recommendation

1. The link is 404 as posted.

2. Didn't we do this already?

. o O (Another "my A/V is better/faster/cheaper than yours thread")

Here's Oleg See Profile's link made good.

»news.yahoo.com/microsoft-securit···197.html

--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

Thanks StuartMW.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to Oleg

I can't remember the last time I saw any antivirus program actually prevent an infection. At best they seem to just feebly wave a flag after the PC is infected, at which time I use other tools for cleanup. And since that's the case, why pay for something that doesn't work when you can get it free? McAfee in particular seems to have just thrown in the towel.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

I am using Avast! free version, and it works great.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to Oleg

Microsoft isn’t taking this lying down, however, and the company is directly challenging the AV-TEST results by saying that it can be “difficult for independent anti-malware testing organizations to devise tests that are consistent with the real-world conditions.” Microsoft says it has conducted its own “rigorous review of the results” and has found that Security Essentials holds up well compared to the industry average.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,196 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to Oleg

said by Oleg:

+1

The only problem I'm experiencing with Avast right now is their persistent advertising in the systray pop-up ... and their insistence on offering the Chrome browser every damn time there is an engine update.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to Oleg

~ Related: ~

Microsoft's new Web-scanning tool finds company's own sites lacking

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to newview

said by newview:

said by Oleg:

+1

The only problem I'm experiencing with Avast right now is their persistent advertising in the systray pop-up ... and their insistence on offering the Chrome browser every damn time there is an engine update.

I agree with you. I can't stand it ether. If it was ad for Firefox i would be cool with that

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

reply to newview

said by newview:

said by Oleg:

+1

Don't forget the "Take our Survey", "Get Avast for Android", "who'll be President?" popups.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

2 recommendations

reply to Oleg

As an example of something I suspect is more common than not, among my systems I have one computer with Eset, one with AVG-paid, two with MSE, and one very old one with Clam (admittedly online infrequently). Over the last 2-1/2 years, none of them has issued any kind of virus alert/warning, and none of those systems shows any sign of infection (either behavior-wise or following periodic manual scans using other tools like malwarebytes, etc). Looking at such experiences, how can one accurately determine by personal experience whether one of the AVs "works better" than another or assign adjectives like "OK", "great", etc?
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Oleg

here is microsoft's response to "av-test":

»blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive···lts.aspx

from the MS post:

"we found that 2 percent of these files (that were not flagged by "security essentials" ) existed across 0.003 percent of our customers"..

"We're committed to reducing our 0.0033 percent margin to zero"..

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to EUS

Yep that's another cool ad

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to newview

said by newview:

said by Oleg:

+1

Not a tooting the horn of OS X but my Avast Free for that OS does nothing except its job of real-time protection, scans, and automatic definition updates. I wonder why the difference between the products for the two Operating systems.

For my Win 7 I do not use Avast but instead use a four different products that for me functions as a security suite. No ads though.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

++1 "I do not use Avast but instead use a four different products that for me functions as a security suite. No ads though." My feeling is that any one that you use, if it's working for you is a winner. I used to use Avast, but it didn't play well with some other of my choices. So be it. However, I also find no problems on another system, infrequently used, on which is installed MSE. Today, one can go nuts choosing from tests. If it works for you, used it is my motto.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium
join:2000-11-23
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

As an example of something I suspect is more common than not, among my systems I have one computer with Eset, one with AVG-paid, two with MSE, and one very old one with Clam (admittedly online infrequently). Over the last 2-1/2 years, none of them has issued any kind of virus alert/warning, and none of those systems shows any sign of infection (either behavior-wise or following periodic manual scans using other tools like malwarebytes, etc). Looking at such experiences, how can one accurately determine by personal experience whether one of the AVs "works better" than another or assign adjectives like "OK", "great", etc?

You pretty much nailed it. I've been on line since dial-up (?) was available and never had any infection. I've used them all and both AVG and Avast trashed my systems.
MSE works for me because the most important part of computer security is the user.
Let me repeat that: The single most important part of computer security is the USER!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

said by Rebrider:

I've been on line since dial-up (?) was available and never had any infection.

Oh the irony. I've been online since 8/1994 and the only viruses I've ever had were prior to that (spread by floppy).

PS: I should add I've seen (detected) viruses in downloaded files etc but haven't been infected by them.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

aussiedog

join:2007-01-10
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to newview

said by newview:

said by Oleg:

+1

Not really a big inconvenience. Merely turn off popups in settings. Taking care to avoid the Google Chrome install when upgrading is certainly inconvenient.
--
If I can only find my keys...

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Oleg

Key lessons learned from the latest test results
16 Jan 2013 4:45 PM

quote:
AV-Test just published the results of their most recent antimalware vendor testing, and they didn't grant Microsoft Security Essentials and Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection their "AV-Test Certified" status.

We conduct a rigorous review of the results whenever test results warrant it. We take the protection of our customers very seriously, and the investments we make to do these reviews is an example of that commitment.

Our review showed that 0.0033 percent of our Microsoft Security Essentials and Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection customers were impacted by malware samples not detected during the test. In addition, 94 percent of the malware samples not detected during the test didn't impact our customers.
The original MS MMPC statement based on the AV-Test findings.
»blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive···lts.aspx

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Where are the tests for Windows Defender on Windows 8? Windows Defender on Win 8 is NOT MSE on Win 7 and earlier.

How come AV-Test can't even be bothered to list Windows Defender on its Windows 8 test page? Of course, Win 8 has been out officially since end of October so how come NO test of ANY AV by AV-Test on Win 8 and it is now February 9?

I'd simply like to know which AV actually work on Win 8. Many CLAIM they do but if you install one, it doesn't work, it messes with your system, or it cannot be uninstalled, etc.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 recommendation

said by Mele20:

Windows Defender on Win 8 is NOT MSE on Win 7 and earlier.

@Microsoft:
quote:
In Windows 8 and Windows RT, Windows Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials.

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops

join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA
reply to Oleg

I scanned 3 different computers that used MSE with MalwareBytes, and all 3 came up with something - each different. It certainly is a good reminder to have more than one thing protecting you.

topor

@rogers.com

You scan with what?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

2 edits

Malwarebytes Anti Malware.

»www.malwarebytes.org/

People here seem to love it. I don't like any program that tries to force me to use download.com. I immediately suspect a program that is run SO POORLY that they hope you get a virus from downloading it from that horrble site that is virus ridden and then they can impress you with detection.

I have used it in the past and it finds only a bunch of FP's. I don't respect programs that do that. It may have stopped doing that as I haven't used in in several years...but it is a HUGE PUT OFF AND RED FLAG to click on "download now" on Malwarebytes website only to be taken to "download.com". I have to put garbage site "download.com" in my hosts file.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

Yes unfortunately MalwareBytes a few years ago made the really annoying download.com link the only link easily clicked on. Before then it was easy to find another mirror. So these days if I need it I end up downloading it from one of the big reputable software mirroring sites like Major Geeks.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
reply to chachazz

said by chachazz:

said by Mele20:

Windows Defender on Win 8 is NOT MSE on Win 7 and earlier.

@Microsoft:
quote:
In Windows 8 and Windows RT, Windows Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials.

Indeed. They are the same engine and virus definitions. If you go to Help and About for any of the MS products you'll find that they use the same engine version and usually even have the same or very close client version numbers.

»blogs.technet.com/b/clientsecuri···012.aspx

quote:
All Microsoft Antimalware protection clients listed below will be using the same underlying technologies and offer the same level of protection:
•SCEP SP1
•FEP with Update Rollup 1 + future update
•Windows Defender included with Windows 8
•MSE

Nhbass
Upside Down Jeep
Premium
join:2001-01-15
Nashua, NH
reply to Mele20

Malwarebytes, and most other software of that type can be downloaded from BleepingComputer.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Thank you! I had forgotten about downloading from BleepingComputer.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Nhbass

said by Nhbass:

Malwarebytes, and most other software of that type can be downloaded from BleepingComputer.

I can't find ANYWHERE to download the FREE version. Every site downloads a trial of the Pro version. Where do I get the free version? (Besides Download.com).

EVERY AV is getting to be shit trying to force toolbars on folks or forcing a trial of a Pro version. If Malwarebytes doesn't want anyone using the free version then they should not offer it.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Nhbass
Upside Down Jeep
Premium
join:2001-01-15
Nashua, NH
reply to Oleg

There is a box to uncheck that turns the Pro trial off just before the program launches for the first time. Don't have a screen shot handy at the moment, but it is after the install. The 3 check boxes are "Launch Pro trial", "Update Definitions", and "Launch MalwareBytes" (or words to that effect). All are checked by default and you are NOT required to use the Pro trial at all.

Found a screen shot of the old version, new version adds the Pro trial option.