Search similar:

uniqs
dennisf1
join:2013-02-08
Sandy Hook, CT

dennisf1

[WIN8] WIN7 and Win8 Dual Boot

Hi:

I would like to try out Win 8 Pro on my existing Win7 Setup. To save some money I bought the Win 8 Pro upgrade which requires an existing install of Win7 to register the new Win8 key. I was thinking of shrinking my current Win 7 partition, creating a new one for a dual-boot environment. I would then perform a clean Win7 install in the new partition and then upgrade it to Win 8. I will create a backup image of the drive with Ghost 15 prior to doing anything.

Does this sound viable?
What pitfalls should I watch out for?

Feedback would be most appreciated.

Dennis

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

I think *legally* you are not allowed to run Win7 and an upgraded win8 since it was upgraded from the same Win7 install disk.

Not that that would stop me. Just sayin'.

But other than that your plan sounds OK to me.

Dave
dennisf1
join:2013-02-08
Sandy Hook, CT

dennisf1

Dave:

My plan is, if I enjoy using Win 8, is to switch to it full-time. Mostly a trial. I would have done such in a Virtualbox but there are display limitations which would not give a good experience and the Win8 Key would be registeed to the VM box.

Many thanks for your input.

Regards,

Dennis
Kerodo
join:2004-05-08

Kerodo to dennisf1

to dennisf1
I think it might be easier to make a backup image of 7, then just install 8 normally, use it for a while and see what you think... if you don't wanna keep it, restore the 7 image and be done with it....