spc
uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to lorennerol

to lorennerol

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials flunks independent test

I am using Avast! free version, and it works great.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

2 recommendations

newview

Premium Member

said by 47717768:

+1

The only problem I'm experiencing with Avast right now is their persistent advertising in the systray pop-up ... and their insistence on offering the Chrome browser every damn time there is an engine update.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

said by newview:

said by 47717768:

+1

The only problem I'm experiencing with Avast right now is their persistent advertising in the systray pop-up ... and their insistence on offering the Chrome browser every damn time there is an engine update.

I agree with you. I can't stand it ether. If it was ad for Firefox i would be cool with that

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

1 recommendation

EUS to newview

Premium Member

to newview
said by newview:

said by 47717768:

+1

Don't forget the "Take our Survey", "Get Avast for Android", "who'll be President?" popups.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

Yep that's another cool ad

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger to newview

Premium Member

to newview
said by newview:

said by 47717768:

+1

Not a tooting the horn of OS X but my Avast Free for that OS does nothing except its job of real-time protection, scans, and automatic definition updates. I wonder why the difference between the products for the two Operating systems.

For my Win 7 I do not use Avast but instead use a four different products that for me functions as a security suite. No ads though.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

++1 "I do not use Avast but instead use a four different products that for me functions as a security suite. No ads though." My feeling is that any one that you use, if it's working for you is a winner. I used to use Avast, but it didn't play well with some other of my choices. So be it. However, I also find no problems on another system, infrequently used, on which is installed MSE. Today, one can go nuts choosing from tests. If it works for you, used it is my motto.

aussiedog
join:2007-01-10
Mesilla Park, NM

aussiedog to newview

to newview
said by newview:

said by 47717768:

+1

Not really a big inconvenience. Merely turn off popups in settings. Taking care to avoid the Google Chrome install when upgrading is certainly inconvenient.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to newview

to newview
As far as the pop-ups, you can set Avast to Silent mode right in the settings (Settings -> Silent / Gaming Mode)

Can't help on avoiding the Chrome nag, though.

Sportsfan
join:2012-03-26

Sportsfan

I checked my registry and was disappointed to find that even Avast free left entries for the Google Chrome browser even though I declined it on install. Still, I find that less obnoxious than the Ask Toolbar or worse.

MSE and the open source ClamAV (real-time protection added with Clam Sentinel) might be the only truly free AV's for Windows (no foistware), but both have such poor detection rates in tests that I don't plan on reinstalling MSE any time soon.