Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer

Premium Member

Tx/Rx rate in MI424wr telnet?

I'm graphing a bunch of stuff from the MI424wr in RRD however I can't seem to find where Tx/Rx information is listed in the telnet terminal.

I can see it I log into the router's webgui but it's not saved or printed anywhere. Does the router not calculate this statistic?
Dream Killer

Dream Killer

Premium Member

Nvm, I figured how to do it through the COUNTER DST so it derives speed from Tx/Rx amount.
propcgamer
join:2001-10-10

propcgamer to Dream Killer

to Dream Killer
I've been meaning to do this, mind sharing some of your rrd scripts?

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer

Premium Member

When I complete it I'll share it here. I'm still having a lot of problems sorting out what value is WAN upload from the router. "Sent Bytes" under "Broadband Connection" is obviously wrong.
watice
join:2008-11-01
New York, NY

watice

apologize if this has been asked before somewhere, but is there a way to get this data via snmp? same router, a Rev I, but I see no such options in the webgui

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

No SNMP support in the router.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY

1 edit

Dream Killer

Premium Member

fiosrouter.tar.gz
36,827 bytes
fiosrouter.tar.gz
As promised:

It's a bit brute forcish in scripting as I'm not very good at it. Someone can probably clean up the script so it's more understandable but I can try to help if anyone's having trouble.
Expand your moderator at work

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

1 recommendation

houkouonchi to Dream Killer

to Dream Killer

Re: Tx/Rx rate in MI424wr telnet?

I did something similar for a guy running a westell router (i forget the model) Just used ifconfig output (which reset every 4 GB with MRTG which expected this behavior).

Had a stand-alone shell script that just dumped some info to a text file and parsed that:

vz_ifconfig.sh:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/expect << EOF
set timeout 20
spawn /usr/bin/telnet targetip targetport
expect "Username: "
send "bandwidth\r"
expect "Password: "
send "thepassword\r"
expect "Wireless Broadband Router> "
send "system shell\r"
expect "/ #"
send "ifconfig\r"
expect "/ #"
send "uptime\r"
expect "/ #"
send "exit\r"
expect "Wireless Broadband Router> "
send "exit\r"
exit
EOF

And the script that MRTG called:

vz_bytes.sh:
#!/bin/sh
tmp=/stats/vz_ifconfig.txt
/stats/vz_ifconfig.sh > $tmp
bytes=`cat $tmp  | grep -A6 eth1 | tail -n 1 | /usr/bin/awk '{print $2" "$6}' | /usr/bin/awk -F "bytes:" '{print $2 $3}'`
rx=`echo $bytes | /usr/bin/awk '{print $1}'`
tx=`echo $bytes | /usr/bin/awk '{print $2}'`
uptime=`cat $tmp | grep load |  /usr/bin/awk -F "up " '{print $2}' | /usr/bin/awk -F ", load" '{print $1}'`
echo $rx
echo $tx
echo $uptime
echo "Home Network"

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY

1 edit

Dream Killer

Premium Member

ooh, that works too, and the mi424wr has 64-bit counters (i'm seeing a couple terabytes when i pull mine up). though "qos utilization" already keeps track of the speeds, no calculation needed, of all connections so all i had to do was pull the columns out and add them up for the total rate.

EDIT: though i have to rebuild my RRD/RRAs, i think your script that uses expect works a lot better since the counters on ifconfig seems more accurate than the qos engine on the router. some packets traverse the firewall through fastpath and it doesnt get counted along with the rest at all.

thanks!

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

ah I guess the newer ones have 64-bit counters which is definitely nice considering you can't even record speeds more than 117 megabits or something (forget what it is) if your doing a 5 minute interval on 32-bit counters.