how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gazelder

join:2013-02-08
Richmond, VA

[HD] Loud commercials on HD channels- INSERTION

The CALM act should have helped. For this problem it has not. Many of us have loud commercials but not all of them are loud- we've narrowed down the offending pattern.

We have determined that the majority if not all of the offending commercial seem to be INSERTED by the local offices. Verizon "contends" the commercials are "compliant" and that the channels are compliant but apparently the Inserting process is not! The are hiding from the REAL issue- their operations!

If you are experiencing this problem I can "authoritatively tell you" that Verizon doesn't care.

Does anyone have a solution? (I'm fighting with my wife for being the first one to MUTE the offenders!) I'll try anything that is legal.

Some of us are now making multiple daily complaints to the FCC hoping that they can fix what Verizon chooses to ignore.

BTW, in my case I am using a Cable card NOT a set-top box and suspect that audio compression is also involved.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

Some TV's have settings that make everything the same volume, I don't know if yours does.

gazelder

Richmond, VA

So the solution to Verizon FIOS problem is buy a new TV?

Might be cheaper to find another provider....

Thanks

Jonasjlp

join:2011-06-22
Downingtown, PA
reply to gazelder

Re: [HD] Loud commercials on HD channels- INSERTION

On Demand is the worst, volume is twice as loud as normal tv.

gazelder

Richmond, VA

No wonder that guy kept asking "can you hear me now?" He was deaf from watching Verizon...

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

There are other issues with the local ads FiOS needs to fix to,
»[HD] Local ads cutting off programing is not a FiOS issue?

soundadvice

@verizon.net
reply to Jonasjlp

said by Jonasjlp:

on demand is encoded by a 3rd party provider not by fios

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

said by soundadvice :

said by Jonasjlp:

on demand is encoded by a 3rd party provider not by fios

if you know the name of the 3rd party let us know, cause I have filed several complaints against Verizon, NBC and a few others, seems like they played nice for the first 2 weeks now, they are encoding some commercials so all sound is piped out the center speaker and not through the 3 speaker setup I use through the stereo .

so now I tried a experiment and lowered the center channel speaker on the HK so voices drown in the background music. it is terrible!, so I set it back up to +10 and the 2 rear side speakers to 0. this seems to work for me and the little bose speakers.

finger on mute all the time, so what they want me to hear loud is now dead.

and they wonder why people like DVR's and 30 second skips

thetick

join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

I gave up and got the loudness stabilizer on my new TV. It solves the problem. Verizon has had this problem since Verizon TV was beta many years ago. Outside of the FCC threatening to shut down Verizon TV service I just don't see Verizon acknowledging this issue yet alone fixing it.

Carnivore

join:2003-01-06
reply to gazelder

I just filed a complaint with the FCC over one of these commercials (FWIW -- Wayne Tile that's airing in NJ).

Since I work as an audio engineer I was able to attach a file to my complaint showing that the volume of the ad was more than 15dB higher than the adjacent programming content, a blatant violation of the CALM act.

You don't need to attach a file as long as you can document the name of the advertiser, channel, time and date. Go here and start by checking "Broadcast (TV and Radio), Cable, and Satellite Issues", then "Loud Commercials":

»www.fcc.gov/complaints

On the form, leave question #2 blank and complete question #3, because your complaint will be with Verizon FiOS TV, not the originating broadcaster itself.

jjam

@verizon.com
reply to thetick

had the same issue with directv. dont think its the providers.

gazelder

Richmond, VA
reply to Carnivore

If as some have suggested Verizon doesn't care AND we seem to be having problems with multiple local offices what does it really take to get the FCC to DO ANYTHING? I get the impression that complaints are taken and put in File 13 automatically! Anyone know of a "group" that is trying to wake the FCC up to their responsibilities? (Right now I know one place the government can save money... de-fund the FCC offices that shuffle paper. I've registered MULTIPLE complaints - 8 this AM alone and have a good idea what will result...

Grover8

join:2012-01-06
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to gazelder

Once an ad comes on I just press the mute button. Solves the problem pretty easily. And when the program comes back I just un-mute. I've so used to this now.

Carnivore

join:2003-01-06
reply to gazelder

Since the CALM act is a new initiative, and there are those in Congress who want to see the results of their efforts (as in Chuck Schumer), I think the FCC will soon pick at least one offender to impose a fine on to set an example.

It probably doesn't matter whether it's Verizon or another provider since the news will make the rounds throughout the cable industry and get the attention of upper managers. Only at that point will we likely see any action from the providers on this.

That's why I still think it's worth documenting the offenses and filing complaints with the FCC.

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

That super loud Wayne Tile ad just aired on FNC Ch618 at 8:49pm.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to gazelder

Why is anyone watching commercials? I've been skipping over commercials since i got my first VCR in 1984. And with a DVR it makes it even easier to skip over commercials.

gazelder

Richmond, VA

I gather you have no need to watch time sensitive material like the stock market and world news... hard to invest live when you're watching news that's a couple of hours old...

The fact still remains Verizon (and others) are breaking the law, abusing their customers, and laughing at the FCC.

And the FCC does so little it deserves the criticism..

More complaints today! I sure hope Verizon wins the contest and the FCC fines them for winning.

gazelder

Richmond, VA
reply to Carnivore

FYI- after multiple complaints filed... someone from the FCC called today.. They asked for specifics. I gave them specifics AND technical specifics. They seemed to appreciate that it wasn't someone who just thought they sounded loud. We discussed the issue and they are going to look into it. I mentioned that others were having issues who are FIOS customers. Load them with complaints and they will get proactive. BTW, I used a form fill program to put in some of the repetitive info like name and address. Do the same and the process is a bit less uncomfortable. I also told them that FIOS seems to know the problem but has chosen to hope we go away... So send in your complaints to the FCC.