Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to digitalfutur

Re: [Weather] Special weather statements ON, NB, NS, NL

said by digitalfutur:

Did anyone notice what was common with almost every stuck car? No snow tires.

Saw someone with snow tires slide through a partially paved parking lot today due to driving like a fool. The driver behind the wheel is far more important than the rubber on the rims. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool themselves.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
Once snow is glued to a snow tire, you have snow on snow, doesn't matter if you have snow tires or summer tires..it's still snow on snow. People need to learn to slow down a bit.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
said by J E F F:

Once snow is glued to a snow tire, you have snow on snow, doesn't matter if you have snow tires or summer tires..it's still snow on snow. People need to learn to slow down a bit.

Just floor it and spin the mofos until you burn rubber and melt the snow out of the treads.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Gone
Given the same driving skill, snow tires will get through today's snow where all seasons would not. Of course, if you drive over a snowbank high enough to lift the vehicle, or skid off the road, snow tires (or any tires) won't help.

Every vehicle (car) that got stuck on our unplowed street had no snow tires. As soon as they hit the foot-deep snow, all traction was lost, no matter how slow (or fast) they were driving. That didn't happen with 2 drivers whose vehicles (cars) had snow tires and were driving as slowly. The snow tires' superior traction got them through.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by digitalfutur:

Given the same driving skill, snow tires will get through today's snow where all seasons would not.

All season tires got me through today's snow just fine, including just shy of a foot of snow in a completely unshoveled driveway when I got home 4PM today after closing the store early today. This is not the first time, and it won't be the last. I don't buy a word you say.

I should also add, anyone who put their car into a ditch today would have done it regardless if they had all seasons or snows on their car.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

Given the same driving skill, snow tires will get through today's snow where all seasons would not. Of course, if you drive over a snowbank high enough to lift the vehicle, or skid off the road, snow tires (or any tires) won't help.

Every vehicle (car) that got stuck on our unplowed street had no snow tires. As soon as they hit the foot-deep snow, all traction was lost, no matter how slow (or fast) they were driving. That didn't happen with 2 drivers whose vehicles (cars) had snow tires and were driving as slowly. The snow tires' superior traction got them through.

yea, one of the neighbours was leaving their house as i was snowblowing and could barely get down the road...it must have taken her 5 minutes to go 300 feet (i'm not exaggerating)...she was holding up a few cars that were waiting to go home...she drove a Dodge Journey with all seasons on it and it just sat there and spun the tires in the foot or so deep snow...i thought it was odd considering i didn't have a problem with it and i drive a little car, not a "CUV"...i left to go out about 30 minutes later and still didn't have a problem...sure, it was deep, but i wasn't getting stuck in it.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by digitalfutur:

Did anyone notice what was common with almost every stuck car? No snow tires.

Saw someone with snow tires slide through a partially paved parking lot today due to driving like a fool. The driver behind the wheel is far more important than the rubber on the rims. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool themselves.

I had to go out late Friday morning for an appointment, and my street wasn't plowed yet. There was a car stuck just up the street and was having a hard time getting out. I backed out of my driveway and went on my way without even a wheelspin. When I got back there was even more snow, and yet another car stuck, this one almost in front of my driveway on the far side, so that I had to make a sharp turn to get in. This time there was a momentary wheelspin before I got straightened out and drove up to the house. I had no trouble the entire trip out, except poor visibility at times on the highway.

I have no snow tires, just my standard all-seasons. OTOH, while I was out I did see a pickup with what looked like giant snow tires driving much too fast and get into a spectacular series of weaving skids and very nearly ending up in the ditch. The nut behind the wheel -- the car part responsible for most accidents.
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
-- Wendell Berry