Sith HMP
I Did What?
Premium
join:2004-04-25
Bloomington, IL
kudos:1

Nvidia Shield

»shield.nvidia.com

It's sort of like a console......isn't it? Or is it a portable PC? I didn't know where to put it. Looks cool either way. Until they ruin it somehow.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
Reading the description an Android device that can play PC games, including stuff from Steam. It doesn't look like something that games will be designed specifically for, so it lies outside my interest area, but I can see it having some appeal to some segments of the game community.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Sith HMP
I Did What?
Premium
Bloomington, IL
»shield.nvidia.com/play-android-games

Yes, it plays Steam and Android games as well. I guess it leans more towards a portable PC sort of.

I do like the idea of being able to play my Steam games with out being tied down to my desk. I'm not sure if it will play the users whole Steam library or just the more "popular" games listed.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
From more information, it also sounds like it has to "stream" them off the PC, which means the PC has to be on. That's how it read to me at least. That sort of removes some of the portability aspect. And if you aren't at your house, that means you might be eating up a lot of bandwidth trying to stream over WiFi and from your home connection. It also has a way that you can connect it directly to the PC. But what I'm wondering I guess is why you'd want to do that. Maybe for the controller aspect? Why wouldn't you just buy a controller then?
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Sith HMP
I Did What?
Premium
Bloomington, IL
Indeed. I'm not sure it works outside your own network out of the house. I think it just uses wi-fi to connect locally via your PC?