join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

2 recommendations

reply to Oleg

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials flunks independent test

As an example of something I suspect is more common than not, among my systems I have one computer with Eset, one with AVG-paid, two with MSE, and one very old one with Clam (admittedly online infrequently). Over the last 2-1/2 years, none of them has issued any kind of virus alert/warning, and none of those systems shows any sign of infection (either behavior-wise or following periodic manual scans using other tools like malwarebytes, etc). Looking at such experiences, how can one accurately determine by personal experience whether one of the AVs "works better" than another or assign adjectives like "OK", "great", etc?
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium
join:2000-11-23

said by Blackbird:

As an example of something I suspect is more common than not, among my systems I have one computer with Eset, one with AVG-paid, two with MSE, and one very old one with Clam (admittedly online infrequently). Over the last 2-1/2 years, none of them has issued any kind of virus alert/warning, and none of those systems shows any sign of infection (either behavior-wise or following periodic manual scans using other tools like malwarebytes, etc). Looking at such experiences, how can one accurately determine by personal experience whether one of the AVs "works better" than another or assign adjectives like "OK", "great", etc?

You pretty much nailed it. I've been on line since dial-up (?) was available and never had any infection. I've used them all and both AVG and Avast trashed my systems.
MSE works for me because the most important part of computer security is the user.
Let me repeat that: The single most important part of computer security is the USER!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

said by Rebrider:

I've been on line since dial-up (?) was available and never had any infection.

Oh the irony. I've been online since 8/1994 and the only viruses I've ever had were prior to that (spread by floppy).

PS: I should add I've seen (detected) viruses in downloaded files etc but haven't been infected by them.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!