All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mileena
join:2011-01-06
Pleasant Hill, CA

mileena

Can you make calls on a dead cell phone?

Ugh....I hate this website. When I clicked "Take me back" it deleted my thread that was already posted! So I have to type it again. Why is there no button to see the thread you have just posted or to go to the forum??

My Verizon Wireless Droid 2 was disconnected for non-payment.

Can I still make calls to 911 or Verizon Wireless?

Can I use the wifi feature? I tried it but it didn't work. I think Verizon Wireless bricks the phone when they disconnect you for non-payment.

Can you sell a phone that has been disconnected for non-payment?

Can you unlock a phone that has been disconnected for non-payment and take it to another carrier?

Can you make calls from a POTS landline after disconnection? I had a friend who claimed he could still make 800 number calls, collect calls, and calls to Verizon when they shut off his landline.

Thanks!

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Basically the phone's ESN is no longer clean
mileena
Pleasant Hill, CA

mileena

What does that mean? If a new person buys it, I'm sure the phone company will be happy to activate it, with a new 2 year contract, of course.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

If the phone has a Bad ESN it cannot be activated again.

Q: What does "bad ESN" mean?

A: A cell phone with a "bad ESN" is a phone which cannot be activated on the carrier it was manufactured for due to various reasons. This can be due to the fact that the original owner was dissatisfied with their current carrier and switched carriers, or had a billing dispute with their carrier and canceled service without paying the early termination fee, or they got behind on their bill. The ESN can also be bad due to the cell phone being reported lost or stolen.

- eBay

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

1 edit

Cthen to mileena

Premium Member

to mileena
Q) Can I still make calls to 911 or Verizon Wireless?

A) Yes.

Q) Can I use the wifi feature? I tried it but it didn't work. I think Verizon Wireless bricks the phone when they disconnect you for non-payment.

A) Good chance that your doing it wrong some how as I had my Thunderbolt with no phone service for 3 months and was able to use the wifi. Other phones are able to do this on Verizon service as well.

Q) Can you sell a phone that has been disconnected for non-payment?

A) You can but not a good idea as they will still make you pay an ETF.

Q) Can you unlock a phone that has been disconnected for non-payment and take it to another carrier?

A) As of last Sunday this became federally illegal until your contract is up. That is why it is called a "contract".

Q) Can you make calls from a POTS landline after disconnection? I had a friend who claimed he could still make 800 number calls, collect calls, and calls to Verizon when they shut off his landline.

A) Only way to know for sure is to try it but I'm assuming 911 is at least available.

Thanks!
mileena
Pleasant Hill, CA

mileena

Hey, thanks to both of you for your replies!

I guess re the cell phone wifi, I must have had some setting incorrect. I can't try it again now, as the phone is in storage and the glass is cracked, but I will try later, perhaps at a different wifi spot.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to mileena

Premium Member

to mileena
Q) Can you make calls from a POTS landline after disconnection? I had a friend who claimed he could still make 800 number calls, collect calls, and calls to Verizon when they shut off his landline.
ANSWER: this is MARKET dependent. Some markets completely disconnect the line and there's NO dial tone. In this case the line will be dead period. Some markets will support a dial tone and 911 access and possibly 1-800 toll free access however YMMV. Also keep in mind a disconnected line _MAY_ receive a dial tone for a few months and allow limited access HOWEVER this should not be considered as dependable stable long term service. The line may be disconnected one day WITHOUT warning if a new customer needs the line you will be disconnected completely.