uniqs

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt

Premium Member

[Northeast] Bad Weather, Bad E-mail---Again

Seems like everytime theres a storm, email slows to a crawl/times out. This goes back to the DSL days! We're having a storm here in NY, and sure enough, all VZ email accounts are timing out most of the time and when they do work, it's very slow. Because this has been a pattern for so many years, without much improvement, patience wears thin, especially since VZ never acknowledged the problem although over the years many here reported seeing the same thing.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

Have you changed your server settings? The old incoming.verizon.net can be changed to pop.verizon.net, and the old outgoing.verizon.net can be changed to smtp.verizon.net

Otherwise use the same ports and security settings.

»email server changes

altermatt
Premium Member
White Plains, NY

1 edit

altermatt

Premium Member

Thanks, birdfeedr, I hadn't made the change since I hadn't received any notice from VZ to do so yet. I'll give it a shot, but the years-long pattern of bad weather, bad email way predates any changeover in server settings. It's basically unusable tonight. Will try again with the new server settings.

LATE EDIT: changed the server settings and tried again. This time it completely failed with the message: Fri Feb 08 19:57:09 2013
Version 5.2.1
LogLevel 8 (0x8)
16192 8:0.0 Dialog: "Error reading from network\r\n"
16192 8:0.0 Dialog: "\r\n"
16192 8:0.0 Dialog: "Cause: connection aborted due to timeout or other failure (10053)"

Back to old settings until I hear from VZ, but the time outs still continue. Very frustrating. I remember Gracie posting here years ago complaining about this back in the DSL days!
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

I'm going to post a question that other's have posted in your other threads -- why not just switch to a non-Verizon account and forward your messages to the new account? Just curious.

I do think if they offer the service it should work, but at some point I'd think the frustration with the service would be enough to switch to a difference email service.

altermatt
Premium Member
White Plains, NY

altermatt

Premium Member

said by kes601:

I'm going to post a question that other's have posted in your other threads -- why not just switch to a non-Verizon account

And I'll answer as I (and others) have answered this before : I DO have other email accounts (including my own domains), but use the VZ accounts for specific purposes, including the subaccounts for family, and, as you say, it should work.

I post about outages here because I know that when there is an outage, I always find it helpful to come here and see that others have posted about it---saves me the "is it me or them?" dilemma!
f38urry
join:2002-01-10
Spring Valley, NY

f38urry to altermatt

to altermatt
I'm also having verizon.net email problems tonight. I reported it to Tech Support and they claim that they know about some email outages.

All of my other FiOS services are working perfectly.
irbrenda
join:2000-11-17
Staten Island, NY

irbrenda

Outlook not working here either for past hour or more. In fact, all their webpages are timing out for me. Called their 800 number;it says there is a problem with email, POP3 accounts, i.e. Outlook, and their techs aware of it.
f38urry
Spring Valley, NY

f38urry

Tech Support was kind enough to tell me that the problem would be resolved by February 11th.

Their outage page isn't functioning either.

Thanks piles.
f38urry

f38urry to irbrenda

to irbrenda
I'll bet that you can't get to your email by going to webmail.verizon.net either.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to altermatt

Premium Member

to altermatt
Not working here
f38urry
Spring Valley, NY

f38urry

Agonizingly slow, but a few messages just arrived, one of which was from Verizon, entitled "Important storm-related updates regarding your Verizon FiOS service".

Still haven't had a complete Outlook send/receive.
irbrenda
join:2000-11-17
Staten Island, NY

irbrenda

Just received the same Verizon email message too. But my mail is stalling at send/receive 58% and then it falls back to 48%, and dies. Mail in Outlook on iPhone now says my password is wrong. What blizzard??? Nothing here in Staten Island but an inch, if that.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer to altermatt

Premium Member

to altermatt
My internet also went down the drain. I was video chatting on Skype and now it refuses to establish a call.

Here's what my latency to my gateway looks like the past 8 hours:

Pings shot up with a dab of packet loss. Trending back down to normal, though

altermatt
Premium Member
White Plains, NY

altermatt

Premium Member

One expects that service may be a bit flaky when there's a major storm; I've been around computers long enough to understand that. As always, it's good to see confirmation from others, and good to hear that VZ was aware of issues (they often don't admit to it.) I'm sure other providers had somewhat spotty service for a bit yesterday too in this area.

But one of the points I was making is that there is a long history of email getting very flaky everytime there's any bad weather---I don't mean a mofor storm, but even just rain. And it goes back to the DSL days, so I kinda thought they ought to have addressed that piece by now .

Webmail was not working either yesterday, although here, the internet was working pretty well. For us, it was just mail that was failing. All seems back to normal now, if occasionally a tad slow.

As for the server changes, they don't work for me, and I wasn't notified by VZ yet. I wonder if they might not work for everyone yet?

birdfeedr
MVM
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by altermatt:

As for the server changes, they don't work for me, and I wasn't notified by VZ yet. I wonder if they might not work for everyone yet?

As shown by past history, the migration is started well before notification is made. Witness the port change migration.

If you make the server name change, and it's not working, you'll get a connection error message. I can't tell from the error message you posted earlier if the problem was due to a server connection or an internet connection problem. The result is the same but the difference is subtle.

Suggest making the server name change and testing when you have good results connecting elsewhere as well. In other words, not when there's the evening or peak use time slow down that seems to occur lately.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood to birdfeedr

Premium Member

to birdfeedr
said by birdfeedr:

Have you changed your server settings? The old incoming.verizon.net can be changed to pop.verizon.net, and the old outgoing.verizon.net can be changed to smtp.verizon.net

Otherwise use the same ports and security settings.

»email server changes

thanks for the heads-up, I didn't receive the notice yet but just did the change. IIRC aren't those the previous entries? Anyway a little faster now but I don't expect that to last after everyone else is moved..

birdfeedr
MVM
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by Pureblood:

IIRC aren't those the previous entries?

I think they were, way back around 2003 or 4 when I had DSL. I switched to speakeasy for a couple of years, then went to FiOS in 2006 when it was available. Don't remember when they changed to incoming and outgoing. Now they're back to pop and smtp.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood

Premium Member

said by birdfeedr:

said by Pureblood:

IIRC aren't those the previous entries?

I think they were, way back around 2003 or 4 when I had DSL. I switched to speakeasy for a couple of years, then went to FiOS in 2006 when it was available. Don't remember when they changed to incoming and outgoing. Now they're back to pop and smtp.

Yes, we were VZ DSL customers as well. Then in 2006 we upgraded and FIOS and we didn't have to do anything with the email (or account settings), that part was a seamless transition, wish I could say the same for billing.....

I just changed her settings and she does see the difference. I hope it holds up, as you downloading two or three 1 - 2MB attachments via email has been brutal recently, anything bigger go get a cup of coffee and come back and it might be done. Thanks again