share rss forum feed

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to altermatt

Re: [Northeast] Bad Weather, Bad E-mail---Again

Have you changed your server settings? The old incoming.verizon.net can be changed to pop.verizon.net, and the old outgoing.verizon.net can be changed to smtp.verizon.net

Otherwise use the same ports and security settings.

»email server changes

altermatt
Premium
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
Thanks, birdfeedr, I hadn't made the change since I hadn't received any notice from VZ to do so yet. I'll give it a shot, but the years-long pattern of bad weather, bad email way predates any changeover in server settings. It's basically unusable tonight. Will try again with the new server settings.

LATE EDIT: changed the server settings and tried again. This time it completely failed with the message: Fri Feb 08 19:57:09 2013
Version 5.2.1
LogLevel 8 (0x8)
16192 8:0.0 Dialog: "Error reading from network\r\n"
16192 8:0.0 Dialog: "\r\n"
16192 8:0.0 Dialog: "Cause: connection aborted due to timeout or other failure (10053)"

Back to old settings until I hear from VZ, but the time outs still continue. Very frustrating. I remember Gracie posting here years ago complaining about this back in the DSL days!

--
The truth of a thing is the feel of it, not the think of it. -- Stanley Kubrick

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
I'm going to post a question that other's have posted in your other threads -- why not just switch to a non-Verizon account and forward your messages to the new account? Just curious.

I do think if they offer the service it should work, but at some point I'd think the frustration with the service would be enough to switch to a difference email service.

altermatt
Premium
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by kes601:

I'm going to post a question that other's have posted in your other threads -- why not just switch to a non-Verizon account

And I'll answer as I (and others) have answered this before : I DO have other email accounts (including my own domains), but use the VZ accounts for specific purposes, including the subaccounts for family, and, as you say, it should work.

I post about outages here because I know that when there is an outage, I always find it helpful to come here and see that others have posted about it---saves me the "is it me or them?" dilemma!
--
The truth of a thing is the feel of it, not the think of it. -- Stanley Kubrick

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
reply to birdfeedr
said by birdfeedr:

Have you changed your server settings? The old incoming.verizon.net can be changed to pop.verizon.net, and the old outgoing.verizon.net can be changed to smtp.verizon.net

Otherwise use the same ports and security settings.

»email server changes

thanks for the heads-up, I didn't receive the notice yet but just did the change. IIRC aren't those the previous entries? Anyway a little faster now but I don't expect that to last after everyone else is moved..

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
said by HD_Ride:

IIRC aren't those the previous entries?

I think they were, way back around 2003 or 4 when I had DSL. I switched to speakeasy for a couple of years, then went to FiOS in 2006 when it was available. Don't remember when they changed to incoming and outgoing. Now they're back to pop and smtp.

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
said by birdfeedr:

said by HD_Ride:

IIRC aren't those the previous entries?

I think they were, way back around 2003 or 4 when I had DSL. I switched to speakeasy for a couple of years, then went to FiOS in 2006 when it was available. Don't remember when they changed to incoming and outgoing. Now they're back to pop and smtp.

Yes, we were VZ DSL customers as well. Then in 2006 we upgraded and FIOS and we didn't have to do anything with the email (or account settings), that part was a seamless transition, wish I could say the same for billing.....

I just changed her settings and she does see the difference. I hope it holds up, as you downloading two or three 1 - 2MB attachments via email has been brutal recently, anything bigger go get a cup of coffee and come back and it might be done. Thanks again