jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Vonage

Install all critical windows updates

Is there a way in XP/Vista/7/8 to have the computer check for critical updates, install them, then reboot (if necessary), check again, install, reboot, etc?

When I do a reinstall, it would be nice to set the computer to just download and install all critical updates without having to be there.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

You can set to download and install everything automatically, but it may not check for new upgrades right away.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
reply to jaa

I never tried it but found »www.wuinstall.com/ which is a utility that appears to allow you to download and install the updates, reboot, rinse and repeat.

Just something I found and not sure how effective it will be. Like you, it is a very time consuming thing that requires baby sitting. My dad recently got a Windows 8 desktop and it seemed to only require 2 restarts to apply all updates. I imagine over time that could increase as well.
--
Tweaked your connection? | Mail Parse | Speed Converter

robman50

join:2010-12-14
reply to jaa

Not sure if this is what you want but I found a tool that is very helpful for if you got to reinstall Windows and don't feel like downloading all the updates again and again and again. It really saves the bandwidth.
»download.wsusoffline.net/

robman50

join:2010-12-14

First download with all the updates is very long though.