join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob

Premium Member

NID wiring question

Briefly, my son has moved into a new residence and got dry loop U-verse...no landline. He ordered the self install kit and depended on me to get him hooked up.

They sent him a NVG510 Gateway. It's currently up and running however I am having some wiring issues.

There is no phone lines at the NID. This is a NID I have never dealt with.

The above pic is the NID. Actually there was some wiring in place that was plugged into the first orange connection on the left however it has been cut and was hanging below the house flooring very close to the NID. I just pulled it. The current CAT3 wire is the new one I ran using the Blue/Blue-White pair. I could not get the modem to sync using this connection.

The modular connection that is plugged in is from a previous resident and is a dual filter/dsl connector. It still had the green supplied chord you usually get with a new dsl modem. This connection works with the modem. So I know U-verse is working however I am not sure about the wiring I ran and how those 4 orange connectors are supposed to be connected.

My CAT 3 line runs to one of those square modular connectors on the other side of the house. This module is the normal POTS colored wiring....Red, Yellow, Green and Black. I'm pretty sure I wired to the two inside/middle pin connections.

Looks like if I had a modular end to put on the NID end of the CAT3 line I could simply plug it in to the modular port and all would be fine. However at the time I did not have one to splice on.

Can anyone enlighten me on where I might have wired incorrectly?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by jbob:

The modular connection that is plugged in is from a previous resident and is a dual filter/dsl connector. It still had the green supplied chord you usually get with a new dsl modem. This connection works with the modem. So I know U-verse is working however I am not sure about the wiring I ran and how those 4 orange connectors are supposed to be connected.

Can anyone enlighten me on where I might have wired incorrectly?

Hard to say ... the other end of the wire on the modular jack is not visible. Is this the line with the DSL filter/splitter?

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob

Premium Member

No! The DSL modem splitter is the one that is hooked up to the jack in the NID. This is currently working and simply runs a short distance to a room on the other side of the wall the NID is mounted on.

The CAT3 line in the picture is the one I am trying to get connected/working. That one is the new line I ran under the house to a square modular connector with the standards POTS colored wires.

In doing more research I see the correct hookup is T = White w blue to Green and R = Blue w white to Red. Which is what I had tried.
In other words at the modular jack end I am using the Red and Green leads for the connection from the NID.

Hopefully that makes sense! lol

What is confusing to me now is that the modular plug works with the modem but the CAT3 line doesn't. I'm just not sure how that NID module is wired.

Also I have one of those phone line testers. The ones that show incorrect polarity, etc. When I plug it in the led lights do not light up like it's a dead circuit. That just confuses me more.

I admit I am a little weak in how DSL wiring compares to U-verse offerings but I have to assume there really is very little difference. U-verse still uses the same pair as a DSL line would use correct?
jbob

jbob

Premium Member

To clarify it looks like the current connection, as in the picture, the working line is plugged into the Test Jack on the NID.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by jbob:

To clarify it looks like the current connection, as in the picture, the working line is plugged into the Test Jack on the NID.

Weird. Usually there is a "wiring bridge" from the test jack to the line module (orange blocks), such that the telco side is connected to the blocks via the "wiring bridge". Disconnecting the "wiring bridge" disconnects the premises wiring. It appears that the "wiring bridge" has been replaced by the wire to the filter/splitter. I am guessing that none of the orange blocks are live.

Wiring bridges in a two-line NID.

The photo is the NID at my mother's house. The eight screws are equivalent to your orange blocks. The test jacks are occupied by the "wiring bridges" from the screws to the telco. Your photo suggests that the line "wiring bridge" has been removed, and the test jack side permanently wired to the premises. I found a diagram which shows these "wiring bridges":

»www.homephonewiring.com/nid.html

So where is the "wiring bridge" in your photo?

jbob
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob

Premium Member

Yeah that is the issue. I am unfamiliar how this specific NID works. The orange blocks are on a plugable module.

I think this type does not use the "wiring bridge" as we're used to seeing. It appears to get "hot" by simply plugging in the whole module assembly. But that is why it is confusing. Why does the test jack work but the orange blocks do not appear hot?

I will have to attempt a closer inspection of the NID to determine just how it operates. I haven't found any examples online of this type of NID other than pictures. I should have written down a model number.

I can simply install a connector onto the CAT3 end and plug that into the test jack to "get by"
jbob

jbob

Premium Member

You know in studying the pics I posted I think I might know how this one works. If you notice the part of the module that swings open has two tabs that look like they have conductor material. You cannot fully close this part with a plug in the Test Jack port. I'll bet if I remove the plug from the Test Jack and close the hinge that will allow signals to flow to the T and R connectors at the orange jacks.

DUH! So simple a caveman can do it! lol
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to NormanS

to NormanS
New installs (at least in Ameritech's region) does not have these. They're a new NID such as the OP posted.

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007 to jbob

Premium Member

to jbob
yes, the wires have to make connection and the door has to be closed in order for that connection to flow, the test jack is working because it is only a test jack so based on when you posted this I'm guessing it is working

jbob
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob

Premium Member

Finally found a little info once I knew what it was called. A Corning Cable Systems Universal Line Module (ULM). I found some info on this site...»www.hometech.com/hts/pro ··· kit.html

I'm sure there is other info out there now that I know what to look for.

The USP(Universal Station Protector) is on the side of the NID that the customer does not have access to although you can see it. The wires run underneath the module(s) and not visible unless one is pulled. Looks like the customer can replace/pull the Universal Line Module but not the Universal Station Protector.

And according the the link above they also market/make a DSL/POTS splitter in the same module type. »www.hometech.com/hts/pro ··· dsl.html

If you're gonna use DSL/U-verse it pays to do it right! That is if you still got POTS service.