Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

djbis

join:2002-08-07
Wilmington, DE

[speed/latency] Streaming (Youtube) and Xbox Live streams are sl

Hello.
I had to return my first FIOS router (I think its this one: »www.actiontec.com/products/produ···uzR1lH5w ) because it started acting up, intermittent service dropouts, etc. They sent me the same router and now a few months later I am having issues with streaming services being slow, particularly youtube and Xbox Live.

With the first router I solved the problem by running their "speed optimization app". That seemed to take care of the issue. After I got the second router I performed the same procedure but I don't think it is working like it did the first time.

Restarting the router, removing the coax cable, etc. Nothing seems to be working.

Am I just dealing with a really crappy router? Should I ditch it?

Is there a solution to my problem that I could approach before considering dropping more money on a new router?

Your help is appreciated.

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA
kudos:1

Re: [speed/latency] Streaming (Youtube) and Xbox Live streams ar

i think this would be better answered by asking in the fios part of the forum. mod, please move

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
reply to djbis

Moved in from Vz DSL.

djbis

Wilmington, DE
reply to djbis

I just tried to use a different router and this helped the Youtube problems, proving that this is NOT a problem with the line, or the Youtube Servers, but instead, a problem with the Actiontec router that Verizon provides.

Does anybody know any tweaks that can be performed to improve this routers performance when it comes to Youtube?

Any helps is appreciated!

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:2
reply to djbis

»Re: Horrible youtube speeds Give that solution a try and let us know if it helps.

MrFujiKicker

join:2010-08-30
Flushing, NY

said by hubrisnxs:

»Re: Horrible youtube speeds Give that solution a try and let us know if it helps.

The solution I posted will work through your own machine, which will actively block out the redirection to caching servers upon viewing Youtube videos on that machine.

If you want to have it established on your router firewall, »www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···/c754qnp Use REJECT instead of DROP

djbis

Wilmington, DE

I need to use it on my router, preferably. All of my devices are being hit hard by buffering, timeouts, etc (XBOX, iPhone, iPad).

Excuse my ignorance, but I do not know where I am supposed to use this REJECT command within my Verizon/Actiontec router.

Any help is appreciated.

djbis

Wilmington, DE
reply to MrFujiKicker

Where do I input the code/info within the router?

djbis

Wilmington, DE
reply to MrFujiKicker

i tried to handle the IP blocking through my router and the results have not changed much. The first few days it seemed better, but I still have really bad days. So I don't know if the change has made any difference. Youtube buffering results have always been inconsistent.

Any other ideas?