how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

iamloco724

join:2008-03-16
Brooklyn, NY

Anyone having issues tonight

anyone having issues tonight in nyc/brooklyn area internet is crawling for the most part..cant connect to verizon quantum speed test tried watching vod got disconnected downloads were crawling

i rebooted router same issues

it wasnt this bad earlier in the day

watice

join:2008-11-01
New York, NY
yep, it was a slow crawl tonight. I attributed it to Nemo outages, or people staying up and causing heavy use on VOD/inet since it's snowy and a weekend. Cleared up by midnight, back to normal speeds.

iamloco724

Brooklyn, NY
was good for a bit during the times you said as well

now back to crawl

grecord

join:2002-01-06
Germantown, MD
reply to iamloco724
Been crawling here. Seems to be impossibly slow to points in DC and Reston but fine to Baltimore, Weird.

AnonmeCNY13

@verizon.net
call the support and you get. not seeing any tickets logged regarding slow or not connecting to email tonight. yep - northeast coastline, without power and call center not seeing any issues. ok RIGHT.. 1/27 issues email server outage. then sporadic issues thereafter and now again 2weeks later, just happens to be another outage that knowone wants to fess up that theres maintenance or some work going on that could affect customers for 3-5hrs.... FIOS definitely is not as reliable as it was 3yrs ago.

rgoltsch
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Caldwell, NJ
reply to iamloco724
We had the same thing Friday and Saturday evenings here in North Jersey.....I also attributed it to Nemo. Friday night, my 50/20 speed was 0.75/1.2. Saturday was a bit better at 1.6/2.

I did dozens of speedtests, rebooted my router, all the normal troubleshooting things. When that didn't fix it, I did what my wife said I should have done in the first place.....I went to bed.

I wasn't home until later on Sunday evening, but it seemed fine that night after 11.

Both Saturday and Sunday mornings speeds were back to normal. I think it was a combination of outages causing a slowdown, combined with everyone being home and using Netflix/Hulu.

Since the problem seems to have gone away, I will just chalk it up to a massive storm causing a slowdown.....I can live with that if the other 364 days of the year are ok (OK, 359 since we lost service for 5 days after Sandy).

Ron

iamloco724

Brooklyn, NY
reply to iamloco724
im still having issues during prime hours

just did a a speed test on the fios quantum site

im on the 150/65 plan

i usually get like 153/74

upload is still fine but download isnt 86/74

iamloco724

Brooklyn, NY
reply to iamloco724
less then 5 minutes later and the test is event worse now getting 53/74

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY
reply to iamloco724
I wasn't home but ping test shows complete loss overnight. First time I ever saw this happen.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
What the chart shows is that the server was down.
Does not mean that you were experiencing packet loss.

If you check the other server, you should see that it was up and you should see little if any packet loss.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY
DOH! Yeah, west coast pings were fine.

mario44222

join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ
reply to bhan261

iamloco724

Brooklyn, NY
reply to iamloco724
still having the issue here

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
reply to iamloco724
Click for full size
something happened between 18:30 and 19:30. note sure what though

SeeKnaY

join:2002-11-14
Westbury, NY
reply to iamloco724
It's 2/17 and i'm glad I found this thread. I am having download speed issues as well. I was going to submit a support ticket for internet issues via My Verizon but I keep getting sent to a dead page.

Your Speed Result: (»speakeasy.net/speedtest/)
Download Speed: 2245 kbps (280.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 22504 kbps (2813 KB/sec transfer rate)

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Speedtest from 3rd party sites are near useless as one has no idea if the test server is the bottleneck or the datacenter/server's network connection can even handle FIOS speeds

SeeKnaY

join:2002-11-14
Westbury, NY
Even if repeated tests in the past to the same test site yielded higher results? Also, trying different test sites on the East Coast provide similarly slow results.

What would you recommend as a viable alternative?

iamloco724

Brooklyn, NY
reply to iamloco724
ive been using the fios quantum speed test and every night same drop off around 8pm it will start

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SeeKnaY
Aside from the dedicated VZ servers, other speed test if slower, will just show either overloaded peering points ( not VZ's issue ) or the servers are being run more at night, no one knows

It would seem NYC is at capacity and it is slowing down at night, I doubt internal to Verizon is the issue, more than likely the peer networks either haven't recovered from Sandy or there is just more traffic than the other networks just can handle at peak usage times.

I have yet to see any indication its within Verizon network ..

It was only a matter of time and killer applications ( Netflix ) to push marginal networks to be like the highways we drive everyday ( and have traffic jams in all major city's ).

The new Verizon teirs aren't helping, I can see Quantum speeds flooding the peer networks capacity, it would be interesting if nycDave would post metrics, I'm sure they are 110% aware of whats going on, but hey , if Verizon is the 10 lane highway, but all other routes and off-ramps are 2 lanes that pretty much paints the picture if whats going on.

I wonder if this is what we will all come to expect and carriers are going to start selling network wide QOS for hire

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by guppy_fish:

It would seem NYC is at capacity and it is slowing down at night, I doubt internal to Verizon is the issue, more than likely the peer networks either haven't recovered from Sandy or there is just more traffic than the other networks just can handle at peak usage times.

I have yet to see any indication its within Verizon network ..

I have, all too regularly. I've seen my 2nd-3rd hops go to absolute shit(high latency or complete time out) on routes where the pass-off from Verizon's internal network happens many hops later down the line. This is compared to when on average the same path would stay under 10-15ms and no packet loss/timeouts for all hops on Verizon's internal network and slightly higher at the peering point(20-40ms+) and onward but nothing major(timeouts etc). Unacceptable. The peering point saturation is not the only problem but this is a good scapegoat for Verizon to be able to ignore its own problems.

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to iamloco724
I'm not experiencing any of the issues you guys are mentioning. Full speed 24/7. Guess I'm one of the luckier ones.
--
75/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

iamloco724

Brooklyn, NY
no matter what the issue is they need to fix it

one of there selling points use to be i dont know if it still is that there is no slow downs during these hours like there is with cable

if im mostly using the internet at these times then why should i pay for speeds im not getting

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Bytezboy
said by Bytezboy:

I'm not experiencing any of the issues you guys are mentioning. Full speed 24/7. Guess I'm one of the luckier ones.

I take it you probably don't play any online games? It's more to do with latency and packet loss than speed.

iamloco724

Brooklyn, NY
reply to iamloco724
would calling fios do anything for this or do we just have to sit and wait im really get pissed off that im getting like 40 down during peak hours when i should be getting 150

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to iamloco724
said by iamloco724:

would calling fios do anything for this or do we just have to sit and wait im really get pissed off that im getting like 40 down during peak hours when i should be getting 150

It will probably go like this:
1. Reset your ONT
2. Send you out a new router
3. Replace your ONT
4. "It's not our fault, sometimes websites can't offer the full speed because it's their limit not ours and our wonderfully glorious network could never, ever perform under 100.00% at all times"

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Unfortunately, they pay for bandwidth pipes like the highway system. Once its peak time/rush hours, who cares of the sign says 50mph. You can only go so far before crashing and stopping (like packet loss and high latency).

There is nothing anyone can do. This started back around Sandy and has only become worse with time. I noticed it because I have many MRTG graphs to multiple destinations and they all became unbalanced and off at peak times around that time.