Davesnothere

Premium Member

Start Communications - 2013 Feb Cogeco-Land Packages

Click for full size
Cogeco D3 Ontario Territories ONLY

In a post at »Start Communications - New Packages , it was announced :
said by rocca:

The new packages are now available »www.start.ca/services/highspeed

Existing customers are grandfathered on their previous packages, ie same speed, cap and price that they signed up for. Of course anyone is welcome to change should the new package be a better fit. No cost to change, other than be aware that the D2 modems are now only accepted on the Basic package.

The Cogeco speeds for Basic and the upload speeds are expected to change shortly, once it goes through the tariffing process.

It is not anticipated at this time that those changes will impact the new package pricing.

I'm sure there will be a few questions, fire away.

The above screenshot is of the revised START Cable service plans for Cogeco-Land.

These speeds are for D3-enabled communities ONLY (Thanks, Jasmo).

For D2 areas, please expect only the Basic and Standard plans, which will most likely profile at 6/1 and 16/1, respectively.

Please examine carefully, as there seem to have been more changes than suggested in the original 2013 Jan above-quoted post, mostly of higher UPLOAD speeds on more of the plans than expected.

Also, bear in mind that if choose to you leave a 'Grandfathered' plan for one of these, that you CANNOT go back.

For your convenience of speed and usage cap comparison, here is Cogeco's own newest retail packages chart :
»www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/ ··· pare.php
And consider that these Cogeco retail prices require a 3-service bundle and a 1-year committment, AFAIK.

Please advise me if there are any errors in this post.

SuperCM
join:2005-03-08

SuperCM

Re: Start Communications - 2013 Feb Packages

Those who recently switched to the 55 Mbps a few weeks ago, is that considered grandfathered and will have to call again to get to 60 Mbps or would the move from 55 to 60 be automatic?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Change from 4->6 and 55->60 is automatic, may need to reboot your modem.

Tekkkkk
@teksavvy.com

Tekkkkk to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere
Hi
Im really interested in start.ca

Can you pls give me a bit more info on dns and routing? I know you have access to higher speeds (vs teksavvy) because you are on the aggregated network.

But i have no idea what that means when it comes to routing/dns issues. How about line issues?(do you email rogers for all? Some? None?)

Honestly i ve heard only good things about start and i am thinking of switching but need more info as yiu are a new company.

The internet is my home phone, netflix, itunes. So i dont enjoy not having it for long periods of time/ and the usual nightly youtube slowdowns are not nice either(this happens on teksavy. Not rogers)

Thanks

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

We have our own DNS servers and do our own routing. We still have to work with the underlying cable networks for line issues, etc.

We're not a new company though, we've been around since 1995.
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: Start Communications - 2013 Feb Cogeco-Land Packages

Do you still need a business account to run servers? (namely, DNS, mail, web, among others)

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers

Anon

said by cog_biz_user:

Do you still need a business account to run servers? (namely, DNS, mail, web, among others)

Cogeco Blocks Port 25 inbound for TPIA.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to cog_biz_user

Premium Member

to cog_biz_user
There is no static ip availability on cable at this time so DNS would be highly not recommended and Cogeco blocks inbound port 25 also unfortunately.
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user

said by rocca:

There is no static ip availability on cable at this time so DNS would be highly not recommended and Cogeco blocks inbound port 25 also unfortunately.

Might want to stick that on your website somewhere...
DeViLzzz
join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

DeViLzzz

Hope there is some sort of $59.95 offering the future with 300 GB usage and 40+ Mbps DL and 2 Mbps UL

Tedsky
join:2009-05-01
Welland, ON

Tedsky to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
Greetings Rocco, Richard, et al ...

Joined START on Jan 22nd, 2013 - 10 business days after placing our order upon returning from a 2-week vacation in the sun.

Left Cogeco here in Niagara Region, and settled on the "20 Mbps / 1.5 Mbps / 300 GB Cap" service @$49.95. although another plan @$59.95 with 400 GB Cap was a consideration, to which we thought to upgrade if the 20/1.5/300 wasn't enough.

Then came the new plans on the SAME DAY that our service went into effect. Seemed we lucked out with the 300 GB Cap, as we have joined Netflix after acquiring a new toy in a Samsung HT-D6530 Blu-Ray with Smart Hub.

So, just noticed even newer plans posted a few days ago.
Looks like there is now a "30 Mbps / 2 Mbps / 250 GB Cap" plan for the same price.

Guess you can see where I'm headed with this, so any chance you could direct me with your best suggestion or even better, advise me what exactly the grandfathering process does for our situation?

Of course we want it all - 30 Mbps / 2 Mbps / 300-400 GB Cap .

Btw, did I mention that we have been absolutely ecstatic with results of our switch to START after 7 years with Cogeco and 2 years with Bell Symaptico prior to that?

Thanks in advance,
Tedsky in Welland.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Please review my OP.

As is common with grandfathering, if you move to a newer plan, you CANNOT return to the one which you got when you first ordered.

So, what you need to figure out is whether the higher monthly usage cap more important to you, or the speed ?

I suggest sitting tight for a month or two, keep checking your usage at the convenient link on the START website (no login necessary), evaluate your NetFlix, and decide AFTER that.

Also, further new plans are likely going to happen after the CRTC (speculated to be soon) announces a decision which will affect rates, and usage caps may go up again.

Wecome to START !

(also do some speed tests - you may be set to a faster speed than they told/sold you - SHHHH )

Tedsky
Welland, ON

Tedsky

(I know you're there, Tommy)

I'd be happy to sit tight and wait out the CRTC decision, but the opportunity to go to that 400 GB plan is fast disappearing (if not already gone) since when I activated was only 3 weeks ago.

I was advised then that I could upgrade to the other plan for $10 more within 30 days, so ...

That's were all the testing of my data usage and speeds thus far suggest that the other plan for just $10 would be better and may even get a speed boost at the same time, soon.

Thanks for your feedback, Tommy ... errrr... Dave

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Tedsky:

....the opportunity to go to that 400 GB plan is fast disappearing (if not already gone) since when I activated was only 3 weeks ago.

I was advised then that I could upgrade to the other plan for $10 more within 30 days, so....

I don't think that you posted about THAT opportunity earlier.

If the $10 extra is cool with you, then by all means you should do it, as we are not completely sure what the CRTC will say/do, nor exactly when.

That might well be your best hedge.

Tedsky
Welland, ON

Tedsky

Dave, are you there, Man?

Yesterday, I spoke with Sean in Tech Support. While he understood my situation (and gets full marks for passing my concerns on to Start Management) the legacy package to which I was referring (and to which I was hopeful of moving) was eliminated on Feb 1st, 2013.

Received a voice mail yesterday from Jennifer at Start confirming same, as passed on from the "boss" (Hi Rocco ).

You know, when one opportunity passes you by, sometimes another presents itself.

A few weeks ago, when returning my rental modem to Cogeco (once I received my Thomson DOCSIS 3.0 rental from Start), I met a fellow in line looking to get his HD Converter box retrofit to be able to use HDMI.

I suggested that since it had a DVI port and TOSlink optical audio, he could just get a DVIHDMI adapter (about $10) and a TOSlink cable (about $30), hook it all up, and be off to the races.

When the Cogeco tech advised him that it was better to just go to Best Buy and "buy" one (since his box was fully paid for, and Cogeco was under no obligation to offer him an upgraded unit), he turned to me and said "Do you want it?"

I'll let you guess "the rest of the story".
Paul Harvey .................... Good Day!

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

So you 'got the stuff' before he 'flushed' it.

And you know what the Ferengi say about opportunity....

(actually, they have rather a LOT to say on the subject)

I would observe that you did well.

BTW, when these packages came along, I actually DOWNgraded to the new 20/1.5/150 package from my previous 20/1.5/300, and put the spare $11.30 (incl GST) per month towaards my existing phone costs (yes, I have VoIP, so that about covered it).

AND, it turns out that 20/1.5/xxx became 20/2/xxx a week or two later, as most START packages got higher upload speeds when Cogeco improved the same ones for their own retail customers on Feb 1st (including yours).

That's soitainly more fair than how BH#$ELL would have handled it, nyuk, nyuk.

= = = = = = =

BTW, those latest upload-improved deals are what ended up in my screenshot, by the time I began this thread.

Tedsky
Welland, ON

Tedsky

Ferengi on Opportunity:

6. Never allow family to stand in the way of opportunity.
9. Opportunity plus instinct equals profit.
103. Sleep can interfere with opportunity.
(Slightly abridged, but spot on all the same ).

At this point, do we move off the 20/2/300 to the faster 30/2/250, or just stay put (asd you have suggested) hoping to be grandfathered to 30/2 plus our current 300 GB?

Decisions, decisions ...

Cheers,
Ted

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

That for which you hope would not be considered 'grampa-ing', because yer already yer own grampa as it is, but if wholesale rates improve enough, they may offer plans more like what you have suggested, and/or like they first had, maybe even for a few less bucks, and you could choose one of those if that happens.

I'll be watching too, as though I do not really NEED more than I have now, if it's a good enough deal, I might still move up somewhat again.

Tedsky
Welland, ON

Tedsky

DNH,

Now that I've been on a 20/2/300 Start pkg for about 5 weeks, I'm beginning to experiment with DNS Proxy Servers for Netflix (to name one streaming service being considered).

Any comments on Unblock-US, Blockless, HideMyNet, Tunlr, etc?
(HMN has a promo code: 50OFF2013 ti cut an annual recurring subscription in half from $48.99 to $24.50 USD!

(Naturally, it would be nice to hear that that one is a good one with which to hook up)
»www.hidemynet.com

Cheers!
Ted

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

I use Unblock-US and i'm very happy with it. Even SuperHD works with it (with Netflix).

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to Tedsky

Premium Member

to Tedsky
said by Tedsky:

...I'm beginning to experiment with DNS Proxy Servers...

Any comments on Unblock-US, Blockless, HideMyNet, Tunlr, etc?

(HMN has a promo code: 50OFF2013 to cut an annual recurring subscription in half from $48.99 to $24.50 USD! ....

Sorry, but I have not used any of those so far, but am considering to, as you seem to be.

You'll be kind enough to post what you think, if you get there first ?

Tedsky
Welland, ON

Tedsky to silvercat

to silvercat
Happened to choose Blockless which offered NO credit card required to set up, though I know when the trial is over in a week, then out must come the plastic :-(.

While reading others' comments on Blockless, Unblock-US, TUNLR, UNOTelly, etc, saw a post regarding a special code offer which would apply for life-time annual subscriptions with HideMyNet.

There are a couple of disclaimers that not all streaming sites work right off the bat and may require HMN's support to tweak for various devices (Boxee, Roku, XBox-360, HTIB BDs with Smart Hub.

Web site seems quite professional and highly informative ...
»www.hidemynet.com

Basically, one receives Proxy DNS, VPN for $24.50 USD / year with this discount code ...

50OFF2013

Anyone have any feedback (good or bad) for this one? At $24.50 USD, this seems a pretty good deal at just over $2 USD / month. makes Netflix just over $10 for anywhere, not just Canada.

Ted
in Niagara Region
Tedsky

Tedsky to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
Sorry Dave,

Didn't notice a 2nd page here with your post on it :-(.
I haven't YET tried HMN as I'm still checking out Blockless with their NO Credit Card Required trial.

So far, Netflix is touring the US nicely - even shows movies we have NOT watched as having been watched (havent't even -looked- at the titles even ...

Maybe I can locate the HMN poster and ask these questions - I believe it was on the Digital Home site.

Cheers!
from Ted
in Niagara Region
Tedsky

Tedsky to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
Found it!

»forums.boxee.tv/showthre ··· ?t=64962

Delavoie was the poster on 2013-01-13 at 14:28 ...
Check this out, not sure how good they are, but i'm thinking of trying them out, since it's so cheap with this coupon.

hidemynet.com VPN / DNS Redirector proxy $24.50/year for life
coupon code 50% off of the LIFETIME of your service package: 50OFF2013
PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN, and the HTTP Proxy
It also has DNS re-director Proxy - the same as usvideo.ca / unblock-us.com
excellent for US Netflix etc for $2 a month.
Hmmm ...
Your turn
Tedsky

Tedsky to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
Dave,

Upon further research, here's is the DEFINITIVE link to read - BAR NONE ...

»forums.redflagdeals.com/ ··· 1288142/

A representative of HideMyNet (called HideMyNet strangely enough has been posting, responding to queries left and right, and generally TOTALLY AVAILABLE to any and all questions posted since 2013-01-15 when he himself joined the RedFlags Forum.

Best I can do in the short term

Cheers
Ted
Stescotty
join:2013-01-30

Stescotty to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
Unblock-us is the beast. 5 Bucks a month and works with all the major networks. Netflix, NHL Gamecenter live, CBS, NBC, ABC, Hulu (And Plus) no application to install just point your DNS to their servers.
Speeds are whatever your internet connection speed is.

Highly recommended!

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

said by Stescotty:

Unblock-us is the beast. 5 Bucks a month and works with all the major networks. Netflix, NHL Gamecenter live, CBS, NBC, ABC, Hulu (And Plus) no application to install just point your DNS to their servers.
Speeds are whatever your internet connection speed is.

Highly recommended!

+1