Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1

2 edits

[OS X] Moving OSX to SSD

Greetings

I have a 2011 Imac (2TB HD) running ML. Awesome machine..

I want to add an SSD for the OS and system files and keep my installed application and user space on the HDD.

Ifixit has some good articles on doing the physical work - IE replacing the internal Optical drive with an SSD. With the right tools and a steady hand this does not look too difficult.

»eshop.macsales.com/item/Other+Wo···27SSD11/

What I cant find is the best way to move/install/copy OSX onto the new drive but RETAIN all user directories and files as well as installed applications on the current hard drive.

I want to keep this simple - as simple is always better.

Here is one method that looks workable - can anyone point out any downsides to using this method? IE: will the symlinks survive an OSX upgrade when the next cat comes out??

»mattgemmell.com/2011/06/21/using···d-setup/

Any suggestions??

Thanks - Dan
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Sebehk
United States Navy Retired, 1993-2013
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
Two choice apps among ATM'ers:

Carbon Copy Cloner
»www.bombich.com/index.html

OR

SuperDuper!
»www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/···ion.html

I personally use CCC, and I have successfully cloned 10 drives, including my MacPro's HD to an SSD.

--->Robert
8-)
--
Warning: This message is protected by ROT-26 encryption. Permission is required to decrypt, reverse engineer, read silently, read aloud, print, copy, post, email, broadcast, save, store, backup or delete.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY
said by Sebehk:

Two choice apps among ATM'ers:

Carbon Copy Cloner
»www.bombich.com/index.html

OR

SuperDuper!
»www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/···ion.html

I personally use CCC, and I have successfully cloned 10 drives, including my MacPro's HD to an SSD.

--->Robert
8-)

I am not looking to clone the drive - besides my HDD is 2TB and my SSD will be 256GB

I want a clean OS install on the SSD as well.....
--

happy4ya
Premium
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY
reply to dellsweig
I did this recently with my Mac Mini. I installed a clean copy of ML on a 240GB SSD and set that to be the boot drive and I left the stock 500GB drive in there and didn't touch anything on it.

If you want to you can manually go through and delete the ML files off the HDD to save space for apps and other files but it doesn't take up that much of the 500GB so I left mine so if the SSD ever craps out I can just change the boot drive back to the HDD and other than having a copy of ML maybe minus a few updates, there's not much else I will have to do.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to dellsweig
What I would do is clone to a large external and then fuse your old HDD with the new SSD and then clone your external back to the new fused array. Everything will be on the same volume but the OS, along with the apps you use the most, will be moved by OS X to the SSD side of the fused array (items are moved whenever the machine is idle).

I did it with my 2011 Mini and it runs like a champ.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
reply to dellsweig
Others will argue, but I used a Time Machine back up just to re-install the OS. Worked for me ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY
said by not quite right:

Others will argue, but I used a Time Machine back up just to re-install the OS. Worked for me ...

Having never had to restore from my TM Backup - I didn't know it was possible to specify an SO restore as opposed to entire disk or individual files/directories

Can you elaborate on this process??
--

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY
reply to dellsweig
Ok - the more I read the more questions I have...

Seems like my options for the SSD is claen install of ML or use a tool like CCcloner.

If I do a clean install, I will need to replace the /Applications directory on the SSD with the one from my HD. I will also need to symlink my users directlry from the SSD to my HD. Some other sym links will likely be required as there are application specific directories in the /Library directory.

As an alternative to the clean install of ML on the SSD (and all the stuff above) is it possible to use CCCloner to ONLY clone OSX to the new SSD but NOT /users ??
--

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
reply to dellsweig
said by dellsweig:

said by not quite right:

Having never had to restore from my TM Backup - I didn't know it was possible to specify an SO restore as opposed to entire disk or individual files/directories

Can you elaborate on this process??

Your answers should be here : »support.apple.com/kb/HT1427?view···le=en_US
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...