how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to tGelinas

Re: [Cable] TEKSAVVY, KICK YOUR LAWYERS IN THE ASS

Honestly, the guy's got a bit of a point.

Clients don't give two flying fucks that the problem lies with Rogers or Bell etc. The problem is YOURS, like it or not. Fire up the lawyers or the pitchforks, and get the job done.

I don't recommend TSI to anyone any more because of all the associated bullshit with Bell fucking around pulling sync, worse phone service, or Rogers who just can't seem to get their shit together etc. It's impossible for me to explain to Joe Blow Client what TPIA is or DSL Sync is, enough for them to accept the excuse, especially when "Well I thought I wasn't with Bell any more" is the comeback.

As an additional screw-you, EVERY single client I've brought over has gone through this gauntlet. Not a single one of them in dozens had a smooth transition.

This is just getting to the point of utter stupidity now. Yes Bell and Rogers have you by the balls, and yes they're squeezing them, now it's time to punch them in the face for it.

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON
I know there's been a few issues with cable in London, as well as some in the GTA, but as far as my connections go, I have yet to have a signal or service issue with my cable service in Guelph, and as for DSL, I have connections in Kitchener and St. George, both of which seem to work just fine. While there may be some issue in the GTA with DSL (I don't know if that's been resolved yet or not), I personally have not experienced these kinds of issues, so I really don't know what to say on that topic. I still recommend them because they're actually the lesser of the evils.
Expand your moderator at work

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to voxframe

Re: [Cable] TEKSAVVY, KICK YOUR LAWYERS IN THE ASS

said by voxframe:

Honestly, the guy's got a bit of a point.

Clients don't give two flying fucks that the problem lies with Rogers or Bell etc. The problem is YOURS, like it or not. Fire up the lawyers or the pitchforks, and get the job done.

I don't recommend TSI to anyone any more because of all the associated bullshit with Bell fucking around pulling sync, worse phone service, or Rogers who just can't seem to get their shit together etc. It's impossible for me to explain to Joe Blow Client what TPIA is or DSL Sync is, enough for them to accept the excuse, especially when "Well I thought I wasn't with Bell any more" is the comeback.

As an additional screw-you, EVERY single client I've brought over has gone through this gauntlet. Not a single one of them in dozens had a smooth transition.

This is just getting to the point of utter stupidity now. Yes Bell and Rogers have you by the balls, and yes they're squeezing them, now it's time to punch them in the face for it.

How about we make something clear, cable internet for anyone connected via Rogers is out right now in London. It does not matter at all what ISP your with unless you're on DSL.

Again, using the excuse that you're paying TekSavvy so it's their problem to fix (when you full well know they can't since its not their equipment) is just feigning ignorance.

Do you think you will escape these problems by going with Start or Distributel?

Stop laying the blame on the independents trying to make a difference and do something yourself to change the horrid way the telecommunications industry is run.

walile

join:2013-02-10

1 edit
said by TypeS:

Again, using the excuse that you're paying TekSavvy so it's their problem to fix (when you full well know they can't since its not their equipment) is just feigning ignorance.

Do you think you will escape these problems by going with Start or Distributel?

Stop laying the blame on the independents trying to make a difference and do something yourself to change the horrid way the telecommunications industry is run.

Say you buy an iPad from Apple, and due to a manufacturing flaw your logic board fried under normal usage. Are you gonna call Apple for the warranty or do you expect people to tell you that the problem does not lie with Apple but rather their supplier Foxconn?

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

1 edit
reply to TypeS
+1

To add to that, you also have to consider the reason for the outage. In this case, the "problem" was the result of a serious snow storm that passed through the area, combined with driver stupidity, which resulted in an unforeseen motor vehicle collision that damaged equipment that effectively took out Rogers, TekSavvy, and AllStream. TekSavvy and AllStream have been confirmed by official TSI Staff in the forum, and I personally have phoned a few Rogers customers that I know in London, who have all confirmed their internet is experiencing the exact same issue.

Given the nature of the cause of the issue, how exactly can you fault TekSavvy in any way for this? If you have anyone to blame, it would be the driver found to be at fault for the transport truck that damaged this equipment, and they (in theory) have insurance. As sad as it is to say, the only thing that can be expected of TekSavvy is to make every reasonable effort possible to restore service. What you need to understand though is that depending on the severity of the crash and the weather conditions as they continue (such as the freezing rain in that area), it may take some time to be able to clear the crash site before being able to begin the repairs necessary to restore service.

As far as TekSavvy or Rogers are concerned (as much as I *HATE* standing up for Rogers), there was absolutely nothing they could possibly have done that would have prevented this outage. Especially on Rogers' part, this is not always the case, so take a chill pill, or go smoke a big fat dubie or something because you need to relax.

(EDIT: I forgot to mention... At TekSavvy, if you post your account details in the TekSavvy Direct forum, or call them (1-877-779-1575) and politely request a credit for the service outage that you've experienced, you may be surprised at how willing they will be to comply. This is another area where TekSavvy beats Bell and Rogers any day of the week. From my experience, whenever I've had a problem with a service not working, they have *NEVER* thought it unreasonable to not want to pay for service that I couldn't receive.)

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to walile
said by walile:

Say you buy an iPad from Apple, and due to a manufacturing flaw your logic board fried under normal usage. Are you gonna call Apple for the warranty or do you expect people to tell you that the problem does not lie with Apple but rather their supplier Foxconn?

A better one would be, you order an iPod from Apple, they ship with via UPS/FedEx (or whomever else) and the courier the proceeds to deliver to an address in the wrong city, they lose it, it gets damaged en route, etc.

Your issue (and Apples now if they care to get involved) is now with the courier.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by TypeS:

said by walile:

A better one would be, you order an iPod from Apple, they ship with via UPS/FedEx (or whomever else) and the courier the proceeds to deliver to an address in the wrong city, they lose it, it gets damaged en route, etc.

Your issue (and Apples now if they care to get involved) is now with the courier.

What is with all these dumb analogies? ISP != A currier. Teksavvy owns it's own infrastructure. They just do not own the last mile. They have millions invested. UPS etc is a delivery boy. Nothing more, unless you consider TSI a gateway and nothing more.

Quit with these weird food, car, currier analogies, it's silly to compare any to the ISP industry.

I think the argument is simple, TSI is not a reseller, OP was bitching about an SLA. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. If you're an ISP, your an ISP. As such it's advertised as one everywhere now. Granny Margret doesn't want Bell anymore, Teksavvy looks like nice folk. To then tell her what on an outage?

This outage was unforeseen. If it was caused by weather then give TSI and even Rogers a break, no one could help it. Get outside for a few minutes and enjoy some fresh air.

Teksavvy has accepted far more then many on here have. They take the blame and say sorry as of lately because they are an ISP. Indie or not. "Sorry sir we are currently experiencing an outage at the moment our technicians are doing their best to get the trucks rolling to do the repairs"

Teksavvy cannot also provide 6 months free credit like many think. Well they could, but imagine if they did this for 50% of their 300k customers? Chapter 11 here we come.

This is the same as that plane that was stuck on the tarmac for 13 hours and the airline gave everyone $25 food voucher and $125 for something else. I don't get why? The plane was there because of the weather, it's not their fault, just like this isn't Teksavvy's fault.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
The airline does it because they want the passengers to come back and fly with them again. (13 hours sitting on an airplane on the ground is excessive in a plane designed for flights of a few hours duration. There are ways to deplane them ... but the bottom line is that it too is cost

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by sbrook:

The airline does it because they want the passengers to come back and fly with them again. (13 hours sitting on an airplane on the ground is excessive in a plane designed for flights of a few hours duration. There are ways to deplane them ... but the bottom line is that it too is cost

Point being, it shouldn't have to be a form of begging customers back when the fault lays on no one. I'm sure there were reasons for not deplaning them. Working in the airline industry for a brief minute of my life, tons of things can stop them from it. Cost of course as you said being one.

Still not their fault. This is why i said even Rogers isn't at fault, no one has a clue if Rogers is out repairing anything or not. Everyone is too content with getting what they want, how they want it, when they want it.

Takes time, it sure as heck isn't a priority over anyone who is without power after the storm. You're without internet, how about those in NS each storm we get. Thank your lucky stars, spend time with your family or friends and when the internet is back it's back.

As you said that i agreed with, if it's business related, you the business owner are also at fault for not having a backup plan.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Tx
Well actually I was alluding to the courier being Rogers, not TekSavvy, and TekSavvy is the retailer with the original product. But I agree the analogies are silly and I've been saying that anytime someone tries to come up with a bogus one to compare TekSavvy too.

walile

reply to Tx
said by Tx:

Teksavvy cannot also provide 6 months free credit like many think. Well they could, but imagine if they did this for 50% of their 300k customers? Chapter 11 here we come.

Take it easy there. Nobody, at least not myself would expect 6 months of free service for a few days of outage.

I am new to the forum and I got the impression that we have many, huh should we say loyal supports of TekSavvy here. Not necessarily addressing this to you but TypeS certainly is one.

While I am very glad that TekSavvy is making the ISP business more competitive. I am also paying them $840/year for their service.

People here can defend TekSavvy all you want, start a cult if you feel like it. But in the mean time, I expect to get the service that I paid for with my hard earn dollar, simple as that.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
said by walile:

said by Tx:

Take it easy there. Nobody, at least not myself would expect 6 months of free service for a few days of outage.

I am new to the forum and I got the impression that we have many, huh should we say loyal supports of TekSavvy here. Not necessarily addressing this to you but TypeS certainly is one.

While I am very glad that TekSavvy is making the ISP business more competitive. I am also paying them $840/year for their service.

People here can defend TekSavvy all you want, start a cult if you feel like it. But in the mean time, I expect to get the service that I paid for with my hard earn dollar, simple as that.

Do customers deserve a credit when their service is out? Absolutely. However, Teksavvy and other TPIAs wouldn't exist if they doled out credits everytime there is a service disruption. Especially, when this one was out of Teksavvy's and Rogers control.

Also, you simply get what you pay for. Teksavvy and other TPIA customers pay far less than incumbent customers so unfortunately you can certainly expect less in certain aspects. Teksavvy already works very hard to resolve issues when they arise, there is nothing more they can do. This is simply the sacrifice in order to get better value.

For those who rely on the internet for their livelihood, you cannot rely on a value brand like Teksavvy. If you make a living off using the internet, you need to invest in a backup connection or an enterprise level service with an SLA.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to walile
said by walile:

said by Tx:

I absolutely agree with you. This forum is nothing short of 'loyal supporters' but i was being rather exaggerative with the 6 months. I've seen over the years people demand a free month for a few hours downtime.

If you did see the one part of my comment where i said Granny Margret wanted to leave bell for a better choice. Meaning not to be told she's still with bell... well sorta, well maybe? Well is she? Who knows. Then to be insulted she didn't do her research on what ISP she is choosing and how dare her not know it was an indie ISP.

Wait what? Indie ISP Granny Margret asks. Ahh forget it i'll stay with Bell she says.

Internet can be complicated, people only need to know their ISP is doing their job, that's it. Not told they are silly or stupid for not knowing how screwed our country is because of how the CRTC treats competition. Start talking CRTC and politics and Granny Margret just gets annoyed because she just wants a cheaper internet to save money since she lives off of pension and old age benefits.

You get my point. I support IISP but at the same time I love when people go on and on with the "Well you should know" comments

said by yyzlhr:

said by walile:

said by Tx:

Do customers deserve a credit when their service is out? Absolutely. However, Teksavvy and other TPIAs wouldn't exist if they doled out credits everytime there is a service disruption. Especially, when this one was out of Teksavvy's and Rogers control.

Also, you simply get what you pay for. Teksavvy and other TPIA customers pay far less than incumbent customers so unfortunately you can certainly expect less in certain aspects. Teksavvy already works very hard to resolve issues when they arise, there is nothing more they can do. This is simply the sacrifice in order to get better value.

For those who rely on the internet for their livelihood, you cannot rely on a value brand like Teksavvy. If you make a living off using the internet, you need to invest in a backup connection or an enterprise level service with an SLA.

I have to argue what you're saying. The way you're making it sound like is you're going with the cheap brand, so don't bitch if it doesn't work because you get what you pay for.

Quality shouldn't be a sacrifice no matter the ISP or otherwise. Business is business.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to yyzlhr
duplicate post

walile

reply to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

Do customers deserve a credit when their service is out? Absolutely.

There, you said it. End of story.

Your defense for TekSavvy is extremely poor by the way. Basically you are saying you get what you paid for. Pay less, expect lousy service. I don't think TekSavvy will back that up officially.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by walile:

said by yyzlhr:

Your defense for TekSavvy is extremely poor by the way. Basically you are saying you get what you paid for. Pay less, expect lousy service. I don't think TekSavvy will back that up officially.

I don't think Teksavvy will either. I believe Teksavvy strives for quality service. Not a "you get what you pay for" service. So suck it up buttercup. lol

Any how, good night. Off to bed

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
said by Tx:

said by walile:

said by yyzlhr:

I don't think Teksavvy will either. I believe Teksavvy strives for quality service. Not a "you get what you pay for" service. So suck it up buttercup. lol

Any how, good night. Off to bed

I know they won't, but that's the reality of the situation whether they like it or not. Until they have the money to roll out their own last mile infrastructure or if regulators force incumbents to create a reasonable SLA to address TPIA issues, the quality of service you're going to get from Teksavvy and other TPIAs is that of a discount brand.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to walile
said by walile:

said by Tx:

If it is so important deal with one party who is accountable from one end of the line to the other, one should not be using TPIA. It's truly unfortunate, but it's the situation we're in.

Bell and Rogers are far more likely to provide credits. If that's more important to a customer than lower prices overall, that customer should be with one of those companies. As a TPIA customer, I only expect to be refunded in one of two outage scenarios:

1) Something happens that is the TPIA provider's fault, in whole or in part
2) Something happens that is Rogers'/Bell's fault and they compensate the TPIA provider.

I long for the day when, as sbrook brought up, Teksavvy can force an SLA out of Rogers or Bell. Until then, I accept that the discount I get comes with some risk....perhaps not a higher chance of an outage, but that if there is one, I will probably not have much recourse without an SLA of my own.

It's the cost of doing business. I know TekSavvy wants to provide ideal service 24/7, but the current CRTC-mandated business model doesn't allow it. Until that changes, it's not reasonable to demand money from them for issues they didn't cause and couldn't prevent.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
In the end your isp is who u complain to who gives credits to you, If your out of service u complain and hopefully get credit. whether its teksavvys or rogers fault or bells, does not matter you have no recourse against anyone except Your personal Isp, They can then go after their ISP etc..
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to The Mongoose
I wouldn't bother trying to explain the reality of getting internet service via a TPIA provider Mongoose. You'll get 1 of 2 answers thrown back at you:

1) You're a "fanboy"
2) I pay TekSavvy, it's TekSavvy's problem and 100% responsibility.

Let them simmer in their grudges, it's typical consumer mentality. Been dealing with it every since I started working retail jobs to pay for school. It's always worse when it comes to technology, no one wants to know about technical stuff, they just want it to work, and work the way the way they want it to.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
reply to morisato
Except they can't go after the wholesale provider (Rogers Bell etc) because there's nothing in the CRTC regs that protects the TPIA or the TPIA's customer.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

I wouldn't bother trying to explain the reality of getting internet service via a TPIA provider Mongoose. You'll get 1 of 2 answers thrown back at you:

1) You're a "fanboy"
2) I pay TekSavvy, it's TekSavvy's problem and 100% responsibility.

Let them simmer in their grudges, it's typical consumer mentality. Been dealing with it every since I started working retail jobs to pay for school. It's always worse when it comes to technology, no one wants to know about technical stuff, they just want it to work, and work the way the way they want it to.

Yet your #2 reason is true and you can't seem to get a grasp that that is the reality of life. Though Teksavvy is discussed on here as to their requirements for Bell/Rogers etc, it's NOT advertised on their front page or on the pages showing each internet plan. When you show bias, you're called a fanboy for it, that's also a reality of life.

If users calling you that angers you then you're getting far too involved.

Quit thinking every customer should know everything. Wake up and realize people who choose a company don't expect excuses about who & where their product/service comes from. Reality is people want what they pay for to work, it isn't that much to ask.

Don't be so ignorant to expect everyone to think like you think.

Edit: I'm not defending the OP and i'm not defending you. Simply an overall statement. There are a few users on these forums that really go too far with the fanboy stuff and that IMHO hurts Teksavvy.

Love and enjoy Teksavvy, they are after all who changed the industry so far, but don't be IN-LOVE with them.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
I'm not expecting people to think like I think nor am I angered by the sheer ungrateful attitude many consumers have. Don't make that assumption Tx.

I am also not biased, I can't give TekSavvy a perfect rating (not even close). I simply point out the reality of the huge mess that is Internet access in Canada.

I also stated numerous times that people who want a credit for downtime should get it. I posted that theres 2 sides of the whole outage situations and people should tone down their rage a little.

But oh well. As long as people pick their battles with their ISP and not the root causes of the dismal state of Internet access in Canada, we're always going to get the shaft and suffer poor connections and high rates.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to morisato
said by morisato:

In the end your isp is who u complain to who gives credits to you, If your out of service u complain and hopefully get credit. whether its teksavvys or rogers fault or bells, does not matter you have no recourse against anyone except Your personal Isp, They can then go after their ISP etc..

Right, but the TPIA providers can't go after the incumbents, sadly. As such, I accept the fact that I'm unlikely to be compensated for downtime caused by Rogers (or random craziness like a truck crashing through a cable).

It's my opinion that it's unreasonable to demand compensation from Tek, Start, Acanac, et al for something like that. Not only are they not responsible, paying customers for every outage would squeeze margins and could increase everyone's prices. They can't provide the service they do unless they can make at least some profit. And if the independents fail, we're left with an even more powerful RoBelUs Oligopoly.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by The Mongoose:

said by morisato:

Right, but the TPIA providers can't go after the incumbents, sadly. As such, I accept the fact that I'm unlikely to be compensated for downtime caused by Rogers (or random craziness like a truck crashing through a cable).

It's my opinion that it's unreasonable to demand compensation from Tek, Start, Acanac, et al for something like that. Not only are they not responsible, paying customers for every outage would squeeze margins and could increase everyone's prices. They can't provide the service they do unless they can make at least some profit. And if the independents fail, we're left with an even more powerful RoBelUs Oligopoly.

Sadly you hit the nail on the head to a point. There are circumstances where TSI is responsible. Let's not forget, it is after all their equipment right up to before the last mile. Instead of 10gig links they were doing 1 gig links and i believe many complained about this.

There are plenty of areas TSI can mess up and as a business, is responsible for compensation to their paying customers. This isn't a profit game for customers, it's a service game for customers. Silly small outages is one thing, bad business decisions and failure to take care of a customer who deserves a credit, deserves to be taken care of, that's also on TSI/start etc. (this statement isn't saying TSI did anything wrong right now. Just a general statement on compensation)

The part so many seem to forget when arguing Teksavvy's heroic battle is this. They got in this business, not a game. As such it requires understanding in customer service. Customer service 100% of the time will require refunds, compensations etc. It's not only about profits right now. All this said, TSI has done a good job as of late compensating people. Everyone on these forums seems to believe the understand what money TSI brings in. If it were that simple they wouldn't need an accountant. Stop the assumptions. Teksavvy i guarantee has a business model that allows some compensation room. Marc is doing a good job regaining control of an out of control spiral.

A good business man isn't in business only to think and assume it's a get rich quick scheme. Eg: Pure profits. Even at a $1 profit per customer it's $300k per month after the bills are paid. I can go assume that too, but truth be told, i do not know, nor does anyone else on this forum. Their profits are good enough to sustain growth, rapid growth. Two offices now and a HUGE staff compared to 6 years ago where i believe i knew every tech by name on the phone when they answered.

Until TSI starts laying it's own infrastructure and goes in to debt with creditors to pay for it, that's when their margins are insanely thin, that's when profits change. I believe this day will come where they start laying down their own. Until then, it's a simple game of cat and mouse with them and the big guys.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
That day will never come. A "3rd telecomms wire" to your house is not going to happen. It costs way too much to install.

blaznazn224

join:2010-09-10
Scarborough, ON
reply to walile
if you really feel that strongly about this, then go over to rogers, or bell. You will definitely pay more for a similar service, but you will have direct access to support from the owners of the cable internet service in Canada. After that you can bitch and whine and complain all day. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. The best analogy I can think of for this rogers/teksavvy relationship is this:
Rogers owns the house and rents it out to teksavvy. The renter has very few rights, he can not modify the house in any way without permission from the owner of the house. The only thing the renter can do is bring in his own furniture.

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

I'm not expecting people to think like I think nor am I angered by the sheer ungrateful attitude many consumers have.

I'm unclear on the concept of a customer being grateful to the supplier. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

I'll grant that customer expectations can be too high given a number of factors related to product, price, place and promotion (4 P's). It is TekSavvy's job to set expectations and explain their value proposition.

If you think that crusading against the status quo is part of that value then show me where any of that is explained on the TekSavvy web site.

In the end the customer will decide if sufficient value is being provided. Also, as a customer I can set my expectations as I choose. Having low expectations serves me how exactly?

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Except they can't go after the wholesale provider (Rogers Bell etc) because there's nothing in the CRTC regs that protects the TPIA or the TPIA's customer.

Then thats something The tpia should be persueing because in order to remain in the marketplace u have to credit customers for downtime when excessive if i was without internet for a week or anything in excess of 24-48 hours I would be mightily annoyed and expect More than a We are sorry. This is not something we the end users can Do for them They need to speak up and get that portion fixed.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.