how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tinius

join:2002-03-09
Myrtle Beach, SC

[TWC] (?) Frequent cable modem reboots - SB6121

We're TWC customers in Myrtle Beach SC. We bought our own cable modem when the lease charge started and set up a Motorola SB6121 around the middle of November with no problems.
Since about two weeks ago, we have experienced several cable modem reboots each day, usually in the evening when we're either both online or using Netflix. I found the log capability of the SB6121 and have included the logs and signal reports.

Is there something I can investigate further? Or is this enough to call TWC tech support?

Thanks and regards,
-stephen

This log excerpt shows two of about 10 reboots over a couple of hours:

Typical SIGNAL values:

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06

Bypass splitters and see if your receive power goes to a positive number, if not you'll need a tech out to work on that -15/28snr signal issue. That is your problem.

TWCdude

join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX
kudos:23
reply to tinius

The 52 dBmV on the upstream is the main culprit. It is causing the reboots. The -15 and 28 snr is not helping either. That would cause your downloads to go slow.

Check your cables make sure nothing ate them or they are not damaged or kinked in anyway. More than likely a tech will need to go out.

tinius

Myrtle Beach, SC
reply to tinius

Thank you. Where can I find the range of value for these parameters and what the values should be?

-stephen

Jabbu
Premium

»Road Runner HSI Forum FAQ »What are acceptable Modem signal levels?

tinius

Myrtle Beach, SC

Thanks. I also found this on the Motorola site,
here: »tinyurl.com/SB6121SignalLevels

I appreciate the assistance, now I can take the issue to TWC.

-stephen

tinius

Myrtle Beach, SC

Hello. Just want to close this one out by reporting that Time Warner sent a tech who swapped a splitter in their box at entry to the house and replaced two short coax cables for the modem-to-router/-to-TV split. Since then, the Power Level has been well above the -10dBmV mark and we have had no more modem reboots.
Thanks for the assistance.
-stephen

--
-stephen
Washington DC

Jabbu
Premium
reply to tinius

tinius, how many splitters are between the entry box on the side of the houes and the modem?

Your signals are still a bit funky, your 4 downstream qams shouldn't be spaced 4db apart and your uncorrectables are still high, depending on when you rebooted the modem last.